Chapter 34

Chapter 34

"Alana?" What was the fourth year doing at the library?

"I've been asked to instruct you in the use of your other energies, of course." Oh yeah, Nick thought, she could read his mind.

"Oh." He was caught off guard, and didn't know what to say. Fenrir's threatening growling wasn't helping him either.

"Fen, stop messing with him." The wolf instantly stopped, and walked over to Alana. "Now then, before we start your lessons Nick, we need to go somewhere that it is safe for you to train." She held out her hand, and a portal opened. "Follow me." She smiled and walked happily through, Fenrir following immediately after.

"Somewhere safe?"

Guess we will find out. Dagr was more curious than concerned, and Nick walked through the portal, and immediately recognized where Alana had taken him. They were back on the planet Becca had taken Nick to earlier that day.

"This is a common place for spirituals to train at Nick." She was reading his thoughts again. "I'm sure Beth showed your sister the location, once she noticed Dawon." Was there anything Alana didn't know?
"It is one of my jobs, to keep an eye on everything going on at the Academy." If Nick had any complaints about these powers, it was mind reading.

"I'm sorry, I can stop if you'd like." She smiled, and beckoned for him to follow. "This planet has an atmosphere that is safe for humans." Nick had figured that much out already. "However, it has less gravity than you and I are used to, and also has one other benefit." She stopped, surrounded by glowing plants, and motioned towards Fenrir. The wolf smiled, and began to grow, just as Dawon had. However, while Dawon had grown just large enough for Becca to sit atop, Fenrir continue to grow until he toward over Alana. His fur was an endless black, and Nick could see flames still burning around him.

"This planet is a convergence point for our two dimensions, which allows humans with an affinity, especially those with spiritual powers, to draw more energy than they normally would. As such, it is much easier to fully summon our companions' physical forms." Fenrir let out a long howl, causing Alana to smile. Nick felt a chill run down his spine. Fenrir was terrifying.

"Because of this, I will be able to better train you in your other energies, and Fenrir will be able to use his powers to cut you off, if things get out of hand." The wolf grinned at Nick, as he laid down beside Alana. Even laying down, he was taller than Alana or Nick.

"So, what exactly is this training going to involve?" All he knew was, his other powers were dangerous.

"We will begin by having you focus on your spiritual powers, as if I remember correctly, that is the energy you have the second highest affinity for." She sat down, back against Fenrir, and Nick couldn't help but wonder why his flames didn't burn her.

"I am going to have you focus on harnessing and commanding your spiritual energy, and once you can harness enough, we are going to have you materialize Dagr." She was going to have him do what?

"We're going to what?" Nick wasn't sure he had heard her right.

"We are going to materialize Dagr." Her smile was mischievous. "I'm really curious to see his true form."

"What are your thoughts on this?" He could sense Dagr had been caught off guard by Alana's statement as well.

I don't think this training is going to be easy for you. I hope you are ready. His dragon did little to comfort him.

"So, what do I need to do?" He sat on the ground across from Alana, wondering how exactly this training would play out.

"First, are you able to recognize your different powers?"

"Yes." Dagr had helped him identify his different powers.

"Well, I want you to pull out just your spiritual energy, and control it." She said it like it was so simple.

Nick closed his eyes, probing the ball of energy that existed within. He had to resist the urge to draw in his blue fire, which had almost started to flow into him. He instead turned his attention to the ice cold spiritual energy.

Tentatively, he reached out for it, but the moment he felt it, his mind through up a wall. He had spent so much time blocking off his other powers, it was second nature. Growling, he pushed the wall away, reaching for the green energy.

"Be careful not to pull the others yet. The more energies you pull at one time, the more volatile they become." Alana's warning came just as he grabbed the spirit energy. Sure enough, the moment he did, his other energies surged, threatening to break free. He focused hard on his wall, keeping them at bay, as he tugged at the cold power.

"Good, now pull it deep inside, and hold it within your body. Remember to keep constant control of it." He did as she said, sending the ice down into his core, creating a ball of green energy. Handling the spiritual energy was much different than his physical energy. His physical energy was fire and life, flowing freely throughout, but the spiritual energy was cold, dangerous, and Nick was hesitant to handle it.

"Now, open your eyes." He opened them, and the world he saw was suddenly different. He could see traces of color all around, colors that hadn't been there before. What's more, he could see a radiant aura of green, blue, and red around Fenrir. Against him, Alana glowed with green and yellow light.

"When a spiritual user draws in their power, they are able to see the energies around them. As such, you are able to perceive which energies others are using at any given time." She raised her hand, and suddenly red energy began to swirl towards her hand. A moment later, a flame appeared.

"I'm not going to lie, this is kind of cool." He started to grin, marveling at the world around him. In that split second, his concentration slipped, and his spiritual energy broke from his grasp. Pain shot through his body.

"Dagr!" He dragon grasped his energy, stopping its assault on his body, and contained it. Nick cautiously took back control of the power, cursing himself for letting it slip.

"You will learn how to keep your powers under control through this training Nick. They are yours, and I will show you how to bend them to your will." Her aura grew even brighter, with blue energy swirling into the mixture. She drew in so much power it hurt Nick's eyes, and he had to look away.

"I have six months to help you Nick." Her aura dimmed, but all four colors remained. "So I will need you to concentrate, and focus." Nick nodded, his mind fighting with the icy energy that was lashing against his control.

"Now then, draw in as much spiritual energy as you can, and hold it, no matter what." She stood as she spoke, and Nick felt a sense of dread. He was certain he wasn't going to enjoy this training.