Chapter 11

Chapter 11

The next six months were the hardest Nick had ever experienced. Following their departure from the auditorium, Naomi and Keith had split the first years into pairs, and sent them to their living quarters. Nick had been paired with Trent, and he hoped he would be able to become friends with him.

For the first three months, Naomi and Keith had the first years working from dusk till dawn, conducting various strength and endurance training, as well as learning basic martial arts techniques. They were forbidden during this time to draw upon their physical energy, as it was important they completely hone and prepare their bodies before they did.

Because of his extensive training prior to arriving at the Academy, Nick found himself at an advantage over the others. He earned praised constantly from his advisors, and rapidly set himself apart from the others.

Keith showed a great interest in him, and began taking him away from his peers to train one on one. He was taught advanced techniques, and sparred with Keith daily. Nick didn't notice at first, but soon he was spending more time with the advisors than his peers.

During this time, he had little chance to focus on Dagr, and the dragon seemed content to watch Nick grow, and observe life at the Academy. The painful incident with his energy also faded from his mind, as his sole goal during those first three months was to become the best, the goal of making it into the DRED Corps all he thought of.

It was the start of the fourth month that Nick ran into trouble. Naomi announced it was now time to begin training in the use of their physical energy. Two hours of every morning were set aside for the first years to focus on drawing in their energy, and holding onto it.

The problem for Nick was, every time he got close to grasping the energy, he would suffer a panic attack. Apparently, his near death experience had left him traumatized, and he was afraid to risk facing that pain again.

Dagr tried his best to console Nick, to help him harness his power, but Nick's pride wouldn't let the dragon in. He was going to become the best on his own. That very mentality though, began to put him behind his peers.

By the end of the fourth month, the other first years were able to hold onto their powers for up to an hour during intense training. This gave them enhanced speed and strength, allowing them to surpass Nick. Additionally, their bodies healed daily, whereas Nick's did not.

During the fifth month, Nick was at the back of the group, and was once again taken away from the group by Keith. This time, Keith pushed him physically and mentally, trying to forcefully draw out Nick's powers.

All this did was leave Nick battered and bruised at the end of each day. He did his best against Keith, strained all of his senses to fight against him, but no matter how fast his reflexes or senses, fighting a Phys without using physical energy was pointless.

The sixth month, the final month, found Nick atop a hill, eyes closed, deep in concentration.

He's coming. Dagr was trying to help, but all it did was break Nick's concentration. In that instant, even as he jerked his body to the side, a sharp pain erupted across his chest.

"Nick, Nick, Nick. You can't keep letting your guard down." Keith was walking towards the other side of the hill, glancing out at the other first years.

"I'm sorry, a voice in my head distracted me." Nick was telling the truth.

"Eh, unless that voice is helping you harness your powers, shut it out. The proving is next week, and unless you can draw on your powers, you're going to rank last." The proving was the culmination of their six months of training. A physical obstacle course, combined with sparring matches, to determine the rankings of the first year physicals. Nick needed to place high.

"I'll manage." Nick hated himself for being unable to draw out his power, and knew he was running out of time.

"I believe in you Nicky, and so does Naomi. Don't let us down." He looked at the first years, who seemed to be dispersing. "But enough of the heavy stuff, let's go eat." Keith winked at Nick, and disappeared, leaving him alone atop the hill with Dagr.

I can help you draw out your power, if you just trusted me Nick. The dragon settled across his shoulders, his head resting against Nicks.

"I need to become the best with my own power." Even his voice in his mind sounded bitter.

Nick, how many times must I tell you? We are one, my power, my aid, is your power. I entered this realm through you, with your power. What is so wrong about allowing me to help you?

Nick started heading down the hill at a light jog, refusing to answer.

What's more important Nick? Your pride, or reaching your goal. Nick really hated that Dagr could read his mind.

"You already know the answer."

I do, but I want you to say it...aloud. Now the dragon was making jokes, great.

"You're insufferable at times. Fine, can you help me...."

You already know the answer. Dagr's voice was filled with laughter.

"I hate you." Nick was smiling now as he ran. As much as Dagr annoyed him, he knew the dragon really cared for him, and he felt like the closest thing Nick had to a best friend.

Tonight, we unlock your power. The dragon's joy was evident, and he took off into the air. But for now, you should enjoy your lunch.

"Thank you." Nick whispered in his mind, slowing as he approached the group of first years, eyes scanning for Keith. He didn't know how Dagr was going to help him with his power, but figured that would be solved tonight. For now, he was really looking forward to his lunch, and not because he ate every day with Keith.

"I swear Nick, it's like you don't even want to eat a warm meal." Keith was lounging near the Phys's cafeteria, gleefully eating an apple. He tossed on to Nick as he approached. "Stole em from the Int's, they have the best fruit on the planet."

Nick caught the apple and took a bite, and it was indeed the best tasting apple he had ever had.

"Encouraging him to steal already?" Naomi smiled at Nick as she approached.

"It's not stealing if I'm not caught. And I'm never caught." Keith winked at Naomi as he tossed her an apple as well.

"Any luck today?" She looked at Nick, her eyes hopeful.

"Eh, he's still on the path to being the best punching bag at the Academy." Keith chuckled as he turned to walk into the cafeteria. "I'll get him there, he's still got a week." He disappeared inside.

"I won't let you down Naomi." He looked at her, and his resolve doubled. Nick didn't know why Naomi and Keith treated him like they did, but he refused to let either of them down.

"I know you won't Nicky, I believe in you." Another smile, and his heart beat faster. "Now, how about we grab some food?" She turned to head in, and Nick couldn't help but watch as she walked away.

After tonight, I guarantee she is going to look at you in a new light. Dagr was in his mind again, and Nick smiled at the thought. While becoming a DRED Knight was still his main goal, impressing Naomi was quickly becoming a close second.