Chapter 43

Chapter 43

"What was that for?" Nick gasped as he tried to stand. Naomi kicked him onto his back, and placed herself on top of him.

"That, was for talking with Eli about me behind my back." She pinned his arms to the ground keeping him from fighting back. Truth be told, Nick didn't really feel like fighting back at that moment. Her form, against the starry sky, was breathtaking.

"You act like I had a choice." He hadn't been the one to start the conversation with Eli after all, and she had to know that. Her grip on his wrists tightened.

"I can take care of myself." Nick wasn't sure if she was speaking to him, or to herself as she mumbled.

"Trust me Naomi, I'm well aware of that." He pushed lightly against her hands, smiling as he spoke. She smiled back, and leaned back, letting go of his wrists.

"And don't you forget it." She laughed, starring up at the stars, completely relaxed. Nick was torn between starring at her, and looking at the night sky as well. They sat there in silence for a few moments, and Nick started growing uncomfortably aware of how Naomi was sitting on him. Her legs straddled his stomach, and as he breathed he could feel her lightly rising and falling.

"So, I made the Scatterball team." She looked down and smiled at him.

"I heard you also got yourself beat up by Rasha."

"Don't remind me." Rasha terrified him.

"I'm glad she didn't hurt you too bad Nicky, I'd be sad if anything ever happened to you." Again Naomi's actions were making him very uncomfortable.

He tried to sit up, but she playfully pushed him back down onto the grass. "I'm not done with you yet Nicky." She pressed herself closer towards him, and he could feel her breath on his face.

"I-" Before he could speak, her lips met his, for just a brief second, before she leapt off him laughing. "What was that for?"

"That, silly, was your punishment for earlier." If that was a punishment, Nick wanted a few more from her. Shakily, he stood to his feet. His body rushed with emotion, and it was making it hard for him to think.

"Well, I wasn't lying when I said you had beautiful eyes." Naomi draped her arms around his neck, looking up into his eyes.

"I know you weren't Nicky. That's something I like about you. You're just so sweet and innocent." She smiled devilishly and pulled him closer to her. "Eli thinks I need protection, but really you need protection from me." She kissed him again, longer this time, and Nick found his arms wrapping around her, pulling her form in closer. He could have stood there with her for eternity.

Sadly, she pulled away, and taking Nick's hand gently, led him towards the tree atop the hill. There she pulled him down, so they were leaning against the tree, sitting next to each other. She laid her head lightly on his shoulder.

"What do you think of it here Nick?"

"I," he had to think, so far he had mainly experienced a lot of pain. But, the moments of happiness, this moment right here, Nick felt those made it worth it. "I like it here...with you."

"You're too sweet." She nuzzled her head against his shoulder more. "You know I'll be leaving in six months. We won't be able to see each other till you graduate." He had been trying not to think about that. He knew the fourth years would be graduating soon, but he hated the thought of them leaving.

"Are you sure you want to get involved with me? There are other girls. I heard Tiffany made it on the team." Wow, Nick thought, word spread quickly. He could only guess Keith had messaged her everything.

"You're the only I feel this way about." It was true. There were other cute girls, who Nick guessed may have been interested in him. But from the moment he met Naomi, Nick had felt something different. Being with her, making her laugh, feeling her touch, they all brought a happiness to Nick that he couldn't fully explain.

"You're too good for me Nicky." Naomi laid there quietly against him, starring up at the stars, and this time, Nick didn't say anything. He didn't want that moment to end. He leaned his head against the tree, and starred up at the stars, marveling at their beauty. His arm wrapped around Naomi, and holding her there in his arms, just made everything feel right.

Of course, at that moment, his wrist vibrated, and the mood was ruined.

"Who is that?" Naomi asked sleepily, and Nick realized she must have been falling asleep.

"I don't know. Maybe Keith?" Naomi let out a heavy sigh, and sat up. Sure enough, when Nick checked the holoscreen, it showed a message from Keith.

Hey buddy, don't forget to put in a good word for me with Becca. Also, hurry back, I'm itching to get some more training in before bed!

Nick could feel his irritation rise at Keith's interruption.

"Oh, didn't mention you were coming to see me, huh Nicky?" Naomi was peering over his shoulder, reading Keith's message.

"I-"

"It's alright Nicky, its better if we keep this a secret. Some of the fourth years already don't like you, and I'm sure Rasha would kill you out of jealousy if she knew about this." She pulled his head towards her and kissed him again.

"Now, probably not wise to keep Keith waiting. He has terrible patience." She stood, stretching as she did.

"I'm willing to make him wait." Nick was grinning at Naomi as he stood, and she laughed.

"You go amuse him, and I'll make sure to amuse you tomorrow night, same time." She winked at him and kissed him one last time. "And remember Nicky, this is our little secret."

"I promise I won't tell." She smiled his response, and stepped away.

"Good, keep making me proud Nicky." And like that, she was gone, leaving Nick feeling more alone than he had in a long time, atop the hill.

The memory of that last kiss was still on his mind as he headed towards the dorm. He was going to do his best to make Keith pay for interrupting his time with Naomi.