Chapter 19

Chapter 19

"Do you have any idea what's going on?" Nick asked his dragon as he hurried after Alana. Nick had to tap into his physical powers to follow her.

I'm not sure, they locked me away as soon as Keith brought you to the infirmary. Alana is apparently the top healer at the school. They were slowly gaining on her, but Nick still had no idea where she was taking him. He was growing rather frustrated with Alana. How was she supposed to answer questions, if he couldn't reach her?

This distance is good, I need to speak with you about something, before you catch back up with her. Dagr's voice was grave, and Nick slowed his speed by a fraction. He hadn't heard his dragon use a tone like this before.

"I'm listening." He turned to look at his dragon, careful to keep an eye on Alana as she moved ahead of him. They were covering a lot of ground, and Nick realized they were heading towards the heart of the Academy.

I need you to promise me you will not share what I am about to tell you. He was really curious now what Dagr was going to say.

"I promise." He meant it.

This information is a secret held by my kind, and technically isn't supposed to be shared. Dagr was really worried. However, I need to warn you. Whatever it was, Dagr was stalling on sharing the information.

"You're stalling."

The dragon sent a nervous laugh through their link. I know...this is hard for me. I'm technically disobeying the orders of the ancients.

"Then why bring it up?"

Because you need to know. The dragon seemed frustrated with himself, and Nick heard him sigh.

Before I tell you what I need to tell, I must first explain a bit about my kind. He paused, likely gaining his resolve, before continuing. My kind have existed long before your world was even created. We were there when man first began to walk, and we helped guide and shape humanity, and granted them powers beyond their imagination.

"You've told me this before." Dagr had explained these very things when they first met.

Yes, but what I left out was the fact some of my kind who were around during the beginning, are still around today.

"You're immortal?"

In a sense. Very few things can actually kill us.

"Such as?" Nick was intrigued.

Those wielding powers pulled from our dimension can kill us, we can be killed if we assume our true physical forms in your world, and the death of those we are bonded with may kill us or drive us mad.

"You're true physical form?" An image of Dagr suddenly filled Nick's mind. However, his dragon was larger than a building, brilliant green scales sparkling in the sun. He had blue wings, with bright yellow eyes, and appeared to be breathing red flames from his mouth. He was terrifying. He was beautiful.

I can assume that form if I pleased, but it would require a lot of energy from you. We can discuss that later though. Nick made a mental note to ask about Dagr's physical form later.

"So how does all of this apply to now? How is my safety involved?"

Fenrir is one of the ancients in my world. Nick nearly tripped. Partially because he was startled, and partially because they had entered the largest building he had seen at the Academy.

"What!"

When he was last in your world, he and the one he bonded with, a human by the name of Loki, nearly destroyed the world. He assumed the form of a massive wolf, bringing chaos and death in his wake. Dagr sent the image of Fenrir standing amongst flames, surrounded by the thousands of dead humans.

Eventually, he was banished back to my realm, his human companion killed, and I thought he had remained sealed away. The fact he has bonded with Alana, is troublesome.

Nick looked ahead, the seemingly kind-hearted girl being followed by a harbinger of death. He remembered her petting the wolf earlier, and wouldn't have believed Dagr's story if he hadn't been shown the images. "He doesn't seem so dangerous now."

I cannot imagine him changing his ways, it is likely he chose Alana simply as a way to get back into the human world during your current time of chaos. He loves death and destruction, and the alien race that threatens your world gives him plenty of things to kill.

"Alana doesn't seem the warrior type." She was the lead healer at the school, not a fighter.

She is much stronger than you think. Only someone extremely powerful would be able to provide the energy needed for Fenrir to rip through the dimension and reenter your realm. Dagr paused, and Nick knew he could feel Nick's conflicted feelings.

I'm not saying she is evil, just warning you to be cautious around her.

"I appreciate that." He was nearing Alana now. She stood before two massive doors, petting Fenrir and watching Nick approach. "One last question."

What is it? They were almost to the doors.

"Have you been to this world before?" Nick sensed Dagr starting to answer, but a new voice droned out his answer. A voice filled with overwhelming power. A voice Nick would never forget. As it spoke, the doors behind Alana opened.

Enter, lest ye be judged. Enter, and allow me to guide your fate.