Chapter 53

Chapter 53

The moment Nick began pushing energy into Dagr, the dragon flew high into the sky, out of sight. Nick knew he would be back once he had brought his physical form into creation, and so Nick turned his attention back to Keith. The fourth year was grinning.

"I'm not sure why you think this will change anything." He nodded towards the DRAGOONs. "Your buddy will easily be taken care of by them." He smiled. "And as for you Nicky, you may have powered up, but I'm still better than you."

Keith lunged at Nick, and while Nick was able to track his movement, the speed he was moving at indicated Nick was still a few levels under him. He really was strong. Nick managed to barely block the strike, and took up a stance. It wasn't going to be easy, but he felt he could win this fight.

"You have so much to learn." Keith feigned left, and as Nick went to block, switched his direction, landing a glancing blow against Nick's shield. The impact was strong, but Nick's shield was a lot stronger than it had been. It held, and he could feel his energy replace what was worn away almost instantly.

"I think I'll be able to manage." He grinned, knowing that with his current flow of energy, even if Keith had a higher level, Nick had what seemed to be an instant ability to replenish his.

"Cocky aren't you." Keith prepared to strike again, but stopped, and both Nick and Keith turned their eyes skyward. The world had suddenly darkened, and a loud roar reverberated from the sky. Dagr had returned.

His body was massive, as long as a DRAGOON was tall, sparkling with emerald scales. Large blue wings stretched out from each side, lazily flapping as he lowered his massive frame towards the ground. His eyes, watching the ground below, shown with a brilliant yellow.

Are you ready Nick? Dagr's voice seemed different, deeper, and stronger. Nick sent him a nod, and even as he landed, his weight causing the ground to shake, he opened his mouth. Brilliant crimson flames shot towards the row of DRAGOONs, engulfing them.

"Well, I'm not going to lie Nicky that is pretty cool." Keith smiled at him, and motioned towards the DRAGOONs. "However, did you forget who you're facing?" As Dagr's flames subsided, Nick could see the four DRAGOONs were untouched. They drew their various weapons, and without warning, attacked.

"Dagr!" Nick called out as Rasha's DRAGOON, wielding a crimson whip, struck at the beast. However, the energy weapon met an invisible shield, bouncing harmlessly back.

I'll handle these four Nick, you save the girls. Dagr roared and launched another rain of fire at the DRAGOONs, forcing them back. Then, the air above him darkened, and storm clouds appeared. Lightning struck the ground around him, and Nick put his faith in his dragon.

"I like your faith in him. Let's hope he is as strong as he is confidant." Explosions sent a shockwave across the grassy field, and Dagr let out a roar of pain. At the same time, a DRAGOON arm fell to the ground, useless. Maybe the fight wasn't going to be as easy for Dagr as the dragon made it seem.

"He won't let me down." Nick looked back at Keith, filled with determination. "And I won't let those I care for down." He launched his own attack at Keith, trying every trick he could think of to get past the fourth year's defenses.

Keith, in response, pulled out another apple, and started eating it, effortlessly dodging each of Nick's attacks.

"So, Nick, fun fact about being able to read your mind, and being a higher physical level than you." He took a bite and sidestepped a strike from Nick. It seemed he was moving just as Nick started each strike. "I can see what you're thinking, and because I'm faster than you, I can easily dodge." To prove a point, as Nick charged at him, meaning to tackle him, Keith tossed his apple just where Nick's head was going to be, smacking him in the face with it.

"It really is a pity you didn't take your training with Alana more seriously. If you knew how to use your own Int powers, I would actually have to try." He reached backwards, and pulled out two energy knives. They sprang to life, and Nick could tell these would cut. "Speaking of, we should probably finish this little dance of ours, before any more unwelcome help shows up." Another explosion, another cry from Dagr. "And, before the DRAGOONs take too much damage. You know how hard it is to repair these things?"

Keith lunged at Nick, both daggers in hand, and spun. Nick tried to block the blow, but Keith moved at the last second, sliding past Nick's defense. The blade cut easily past his shield, and into his skin.

"Oh yeah, did I forget to mention, these blades are special." He slashed again, and again his blade cut through Nick's shield and into his flesh. "It's hard to do on large weapons, but small weapons can be amplified to pass through physical shields." He launched a series of attacks, and while Nick was able to keep the blades from cutting too deeply, he was quickly covered in countless cuts. He remembered again how Keith had fought the Devourers in the simulation. He was doing the same thing now to Nick.

He tried to launch an attack back at Keith, trying desperately to strike without thinking, but suddenly pain shot through his body. The link with Dagr waivered, and a loud, pained roar ripped through the air. Keith took that instant to drive his knife deep into Nick's stomach. He deftly twisted the blade, and drew it up, cutting Nick's chest open and lacerating through his ribs and lung easily.

"Dagr." His voice was weak as his body collapsed on the ground, and in his vision, he could see dragon thrashing about, a spear protruding from his chest through his back. The DRAGOONs were covered in damage, missing armor and limb as well, but they had won. Even with all the power he had drawn forth, even with Dagr's true form, they had lost. They had failed. His eyes fell to Naomi, and the tears streaming down her face hurt him even more.

"You must be in a lot of pain Nicky." Keith was over him, grinning. "It's about time we finish this." He pulled Nick's head up, and pressed a blade against his throat. He turned Nick's body towards Naomi. "Say goodbye."