Chapter 21

Chapter 21

"A god?" Nick wasn't certain he quite understood what Zeus was saying.

"Yes Nicholas, a god. I am giving you the chance to stand beside me, to learn from me, and to become a guiding light for mankind." The notion seemed appealing, but Nick felt something was wrong.

"What would happen, if I were to...become a god?" Zeus's smile turned serious as he eyed Nick.

"I'm offering you this one chance Nicholas." Zeus opened and closed his mouth once, then continued in a lighter tone. "To become a god, you would first need to denounce your human ties. You would be placed under Alana's care, and she would begin instructing you on the proper use of your powers. Once you have mastered what she can teach you, you would receive special training from me."

Zeus held out his hand, and a metallic band, flowing with all four colors, and strange runic writings, appeared. "Put this on and join me." It was a command.

Nick's hand started to move towards the band. Nick! Dagr hissed, causing him to pause. What was he doing? Zeus's eyes narrowed.

"Nicholas."

"I, I cannot just throw away my ties to humanity." Images of Becca and his mom flashed in his mind. "I came here to protect those I care about." He could see Keith smiling, apple in hand. He could feel Naomi's gentle touch.

"The power I grant you could save mankind." The air around Zeus was crackling. "Do you think you will be able to save anyone with your power as it is now?" Thunder clouds began to form. "You cannot even control your power, you've nearly killed yourself and others insolent boy." Lightning struck the ground in front of Nick.

Nick wanted to turn and run. His entire body was shaking, but he stood, starring at the god. Maybe he was making a mistake, but he refused to give up those few bonds he had in his life. "I will harness my powers, become a DRED Knight, and help end this war."

Zeus started laughing, the air still crackling. "You think a mere DRED Knight can save the world? You truly are your father's son." Nick's anger flared. "400 years ago, Nick, I was able to push the aliens back. I forced them from our dimension and bought mankind time to prepare for the next invasion. The enemy is at the gates Nicholas, and if I couldn't beat them alone, you do not stand a chance."

"Go then," Zeus pointed towards the door, his storm cloud beginning to fade. "Go rejoin the land of the mortals. Perhaps in time you will learn the folly of your ways." Nick turned slowly, feeling uneasy. Something was amiss.

It is a fool who spits in the face of a God. Aquila Jovis intruded his mind again. You will learn to regret your choice, boy.

"One last thing before you go, Nicholas." He was almost at the door. His hand reached to push it open, but suddenly everything froze. "Not that I need to explain myself to you, but I'm afraid I really cannot allow you to leave here with the knowledge I have shared." Zeus was suddenly standing in front of him.

"Unfortunately for you, memory altering is a rather painful experience." Zeus placed his hand on Nick's forehead. His eyes turned towards Dagr. "I will need to ensure you do not recall this meeting. I am also going to be changing Dagrientas memories...again."

"Again?!" Nick could tell his dragon was just as confused as he was.

"When you wake Nicholas, you will only know me as the Academy President, Bradley J. Hunter. You will be rejoining your...friends" he said the word with such disdain "and begin attending classes as normal, just like all the other first years." Nick could feel heat building up in Zeus's hand. He wanted to run, but he was frozen.

"I will do you one favor though." Yellow light flashed in Zeus's eyes. "I am going to ensure you get training in your other powers. I still hope some day you will serve me and become a god. As such, you must become ready." The heat was becoming unbearable. Nick could hear Dagr screaming in pain in his mind.

"I will never serve you." Nick managed to force the words out between clenched teeth. Pain was erupting through his body, and it felt as if his mind were splitting.

"So very much like your father." He heard Zeus mutter, before the world erupted in fire and pain, darkness overcoming consciousness.