Chapter 12

Chapter 12

The rest of the day passed in an instant. Before he knew it, Nick was standing in the dark room he shared with Trent. He was anxious about what came next.

You promised. Dagr had been urging him to leave the room for at least 30 minutes now.

Begrudgingly, he finally began heading to the door, trying hard not to wake Trent.

"Going somewhere?" He failed.

"Just going to get some fresh air." He was almost at the door.

"It's past curfew." The first years had a strict curfew they weren't supposed to violate.

"I'll be fine." Nick's hand was on the door.

"You think just because you're their favorite you can do what you want, don't you." Trent's voice was starting to rise. "You're in for a rude awakening when you rank last. A Phys who can't use his powers, what a joke."

Don't. Dagr's voice kept him from lunging backwards at Trent. Instead, he opened the door quietly, and stepped out.

"He's right...." Trent's words hurt, especially because Nick knew they were true. If he couldn't use his powers, he would never become a DRED Knight.

I told you I would help you Nick. Believe in yourself, I do. Dagr was a lone light in front of Nick on this dark night.

"I'm not sure why you do..." Nick was in a dark place. But he was following his dragon, who appeared to be leading him to the training hilltop.

I told you Nick, I have watched you, and I chose you. I believe you will do great things. The dragon began flying faster, causing Nick to break into a quick jog. Race to the top? He could tell Dagr was trying to keep his mind from brooding.

"You're on!" He took off in a sprint, pushing all the darkness from his mind. For that brief moment, his worries faded.

Dagr, of course, beat him to the top.

"So what now?" Nick asked once he reached the top.

First, I want you to sit down, and try to relax.

Nick did as he was told. "Easier said than done." Dagr waited patiently as Nick tried to clear his mind. He focused on his breathing, trying to keep the anxiety he could feel rising at bay.

Now, I am going to release my hold on your energy, and I want you to reach out, and lightly try to grasp it.

Nick closed his eyes, searching for the energy, just as he had tried many times before. He could see it, pulsating within, but as he neared it, he could feel his panic beginning to rise.

Trust in me Nick. You can do this.

Nick pushed forward, fighting down waves of fear, until he lightly touched the energy. No pain, a good sign, he felt himself starting to relax.

Good, now slowly draw it into yourself.

He pulled at the energy, opening himself up to it as Naomi had mentioned. The fire started to flow through his body. It brought him to life, burning away his bruises and injuries accumulated from months of sparring against Keith. He could feel his muscles healing and hardening. The fire was life, and he could feel it increasing every aspect of his physical self.

Careful Nick. Dagr's warning came just as he felt the energy start to change. In his mind's eye, the energy had begun taking on different hues. The memory of the pain flashed through his mind. Keep control. Dagr knew he was about to sever his hold on the power, and had stopped him.

"What now?" Nick was straining to keep hold of the energy, standing atop the edge of life and death.

Hold that energy and focus on the feeling. The energies have different colors and feels, I want you to take note of that. If you stop yourself from pulling in the other energy, you will not be in any danger.

Nick did as Dagr asked, and began to analyze the energy within. His physical energy was like a warm fire, causing his body to tingle with power, and warm all over. It was inviting, reassuring, and comforting.

The more he focused on the other energy, he could see in his mind the differing colors. The second largest was a green strand, which Nick guessed was his spiritual energy. The other two then, yellow and red, were intellectual and mystical.

Lightly reach out and touch each of them, feel them, but do not draw them in. To utilize those energies, you will have to first be trained how to harness and wield them.

He first touched the spiritual energy, and could feel a chill run through his body. The energy was ice cold, and felt like running water. Next, the intellectual energy, which seemed to send a buzzing sensation to his mind. The mystical energy, sent electricity through his body, and he could feel raw power vibrating within it.

Knowing how those energies feel, being able to sense them, will allow you to draw in your physical energy to its fullest. The moment you sense any of the other energies, all you have to do is put up a wall, to keep them at bay while you utilize your physical powers.

Nick opened his eyes and stood, keeping the other energies at bay, the physical energy fully burning throughout his body. He felt alive.

"How long can I hold ono this power?" Nick knew the first years spent hours meditating to be able to hold onto their powers. He needed to know how long he would be able to hold onto his, and just how behind he was.

As long as you keep the other energies at bay, you will be able to hold your energy just as long as the others, if not longer.

"How?" How could he be at the same level as them, if this was his first time harnessing his powers?

Because they had to slowly draw in their energy reserves over the last two months, building up how much physical power they could pull into themselves.

"How is that any different for me?"

Well, what do you think I've been doing with your energy ever since you gave me control of it?

"No way?" If Dagr was speaking the truth, Nick had three month's extra worth of acquired energy than the other first years.

It's more than that Nick, I am able to harness much more energy daily from the other realm than a mere human can. Dagr seemed rather pleased with himself.

"How much more?"

Why don't you test yourself against Keith tomorrow, to find out?

For the first time since he had started sparring against Keith, he was actually looking forward to his fight.

You should probably get back and get some rest first though. His dragon was laughing and took off towards the dorms. Race you back!

Still holding his physical energy within, Nick couldn't help but smile. "You're on."

This time, the dragon lost.