Chapter 48

Chapter 48

With Dagr's help, Nick could see the other team take action. Just like his team, two of their members ran off, while the other three focused on scoring points. However, while the two that took off ran through the maze of rocks, Jacob and Nick had a different plan. The reason he really liked this course, was because of what it allowed them to do.

"Are you ready?" Jacob nodded to him, and without another word, the two began to scale the nearest rock wall. Because of how the arena was set up, it was impossible for players on the ground to see to the tops. However, anyone who climbed up the rocks would have a great vantage point, and it made it less suspicious when they made their way directly towards the three players that were scoring points.

At least, that was how the matches normally worked. As they neared the top, something from Dagr's vision caused Nick to pause. The two members of the other team had stopped in front of one of the rock walls, and had pulled out their weapons. Both weapons were battle hammers, a heavy blunted weapon that could easily break through normal defenses.

"Oh no." He whispered out loud, causing Jacob to stop and stare at him. A second later, the canyon shook. The two players were smashing the rocky formations with their hammers. Normally, this would be futile, but at level 10, they had enough force to easily bring the rocks down. They swung again, and sure enough, the first rock crumbled, smashing into the next. A chain reaction had begun, and Nick knew they needed to warn the others.

"We need to keep the others safe!" He yelled as he ran back towards their starting point, using Dagr to guide him as he leapt across gaps in the canyons. Jacob followed behind, but just as he made to follow Nick with a leap, the rock underneath his feet shifted, and he was suddenly falling.

"Jacob!" Nick skidded to a stop, turning, but the rock beneath him shook, and it was all he could do to keep himself from falling, as he watched his teammate continue to fall. The rocks continued to collapse, burying him. It wasn't enough to kill a physical, but Nick knew Jacob was out of the fight.

You need to keep going! Dagr's voice was urgent, and Nick could see the two enemy members advancing easily over the rubble. They seemed confident that their tactic would take out his team. They were wrong.

Nick pushed himself, closing the distance to the others, and arrived just as Trent made another shot.

"Where's Jacob?" Tiffany asked as she held a game ball, scanning for the first year. Nick shook his head, as he scanned the area. They needed a place to take cover. He noticed a cave in a rocky area with water pooling around it, and after checking Dagr's sight, knew it wasn't in the path of carnage.

"Follow me!" He took off, and the others followed, though he could tell they wondered what was going on. As they reached the cave, the rumbling on the ground grew louder, and the canyon walls began to shake. They reached safety just as the canyon nearest them began to topple, raining boulders and dust where his teammates had just been.

"What just happened?" Trent asked, starring at the destruction. Never had anyone thought of such a tactic on this field.

"The enemy team plays dirty." Marcus's voice was full of disproval, and Nick could only nod in agreement. However, a plan was beginning to form in his mind. The enemy team was confident in their tactic. Nick was going to use that confidence against them.

"Tiff and Trent, do you think the two of you can keep us in the lead while staying safe?" They looked at each other, and nodded. They were still a few points ahead, and Nick could tell the enemy teams shooters weren't as good as they were.

"Marcus, come with me, we're going to avenge Jacob." The giant grinned, eyes full of fire.

Without another word, Nick dove under the water, swimming through the river that snaked its way through the canyon. With the dust in the air, it would be hard for the enemy to spot him and Marcus, especially if they stayed in the water. And with Dagr's eyes in the sky, Nick knew exactly where they were.

He swam swiftly towards them, and then pulled up short, hiding near a few boulders. Marcus waited silently beside him, as the two enemy first years continued their casual stroll. A flash of light in the sky signaled a five point shot from Nick's team, and the two paused.

"Seems we probably only got their two hunters." The one spoke with a strange accent, and it was hard to understand him. Nick had noticed the other schools students were different in various ways from students at the Academy.

"Then it should just be that giant with the two shooters." Nick guessed they had gotten footage of their previous matches.

"Well, together we should be able to take him." The first one grinned, and turned towards where Trent and Tiffany were shooting from. The path they walked led them right past Nick and Marcus.

"Ready?" Nick felt excitement surge, and he dipped back under the water, swimming swiftly towards the shore. The sound of him and Marcus climbing from the water drew the attention of the other two, but even as they turned, Nick and Marcus were attacking.

The two hammers were definitely terrifying weapons, and Nick knew a blow from one, even if he blocked it with his shield, would send him flying into a wall. Downsides of such a heavy weapon were negated in the hands of a physical. However, as they sprinted towards the two enemy physicals, the element of surprise gave them the upper hand.

Without even drawing their weapons, they tackled the two enemies. By taking them to the ground, their weapons became useless.

"What the-"the first one's statement was interrupted as Nick smashed his gauntleted fist into the kids face, sending him into darkness. A crunch next to him signaled Marcus had done the same.

"Shall we finish this?" He asked the giant as they both stood, motioning towards where the enemy was shooting from. Marcus nodded, casually tossing the enemy hammers into the water before they headed towards the enemy. The collapsed canyon walls allowed them a straight path towards the enemy, and the match ended shortly after.

After using Dagr to find Jacob, Nick and Marcus rejoined their team, victorious, and headed back through the portal. Nick was still brimming with excitement, and the smiling faces of his friends around him showed they were sharing in the fun. The moment they appeared on the other side though, they stopped. Keith was standing before Nick, eyes frantic, clothes torn.

"Nick, I need your help, Naomi's in danger!"