Chapter 40

Chapter 40

As Nick thought, Rasha's confidence was well justified. He and Keith circled her, waiting for an opening, but there didn't seem to be one. Her whip danced dangerously around her, and no matter how they attacked, she was able to deflect their blows with ease.

"What is this?" Nick called out as he lunged towards Rasha. Her wrist flicked, and the whip cracked towards his face, stopping him mid swing. Even as he attacked, Keith charged at Rasha from her back. Perhaps this time they would take her out?

"Oh, come now, I can easily handle two boys at once." She laughed, snapping her whip back and spinning elegantly, dangerously as she did. The whip coiled, as if alive, and struck at Keith, knocking his axe aside. Nick pressed forward once again, but her deadly dance wasn't over.

That was how the fight had gone, no matter how they advanced, no matter how they struck, she was there to meet them. Her movement was graceful, fluid, and if it had cost him as many strikes as it already had, Nick might have stopped to admire it.

"I did try to warn you Nicky. She keeps our shooters safe while Mark and I hunt the other team. Who do you think she trained against, to get so good?" Keith was starting to breath heavy, and Nick could feel sweat dripping down his skin.

Even with his body brimming with physical fire, he didn't know how long they could keep this fight up.

There's a problem Nick! Dagr's voice pulled him from the fight, and he saw Rasha's teammates advancing on Tiffany and the other two. What's more, the scoreboard showed Trent had been taking advantage of their fight to continue scoring points. The two teams were nearly tied, and if Tiffany and the others fell, they were going to lose.

"We need to do something." Nick hated the desperation he could hear in his voice. Rasha seemed amused by it.

"Hook me up with your sister, and I'll let you off easy." She licked her lips and shot a wink at Nick. She was serious.

"I'd rather die." Nick spit at the ground and charged again. His emotions made his blood boil even more.

"You asked for it."

During the entire fight, Rasha had practically stood still, dancing in a single spot. Now, as Nick advanced she moved. Instead of cracking her whip towards him, she was running, full speed, at him. He stopped short, swinging his sword at the advancing fourth year, frantically. He was scared.

With ease, she blocked the strike with her gauntlet, and then her hand was on his sword arm. Nick knew he wasn't going to like what happened next. Panicked, he tried to break her grip, while swinging at her with his left arm.

Her right hand moved fast, with trained precision. Her whip wrapped itself tight around his arm, stopping his strike. The only thing keeping the whip from crushing the bones in his arm, was the energy shield. However, even as fear welled up within, he smiled. Keith was advancing swiftly behind Rasha. With her tied up with Nick, he knew Keith would land a strike. He smiled. She smiled back.

"Hope he can catch." And suddenly she ducked and spun, throwing Nick directly towards Keith. He smashed into the fourth year, felt his bones crack, and then was yanked back, his arm dislocating from the pressure. Pain ripped through his body.

"Come on Rasha, go a little easy on him?" Keith was staggering back to his feet, blood dripping from his mouth, but he still was trying to smile. Nick, on the other hand, was fighting just to breathe. His vision was flickering, he was urging his energy to heal him faster.

"Hah, this is personal Keith. I'm still at little sore from what Eli did earlier today." Nick felt sick.

"You know I'll stop you from hurting him too much." Keith's voice was suddenly deeper, more dangerous.

"In the arena Keith, you don't hold any power over me." She swung her whip towards the wall, smashing Nick through it. More bones broke, and the world flickered. Nick could feel his physical power flicker as well. If he lost consciousness, it would flee.

Nick! Dagr was trying to get to him, but even the dragon's voice seemed distant. He felt pressure on his arm, and he was flying again, smashing into another wall.

"Last warning Rasha." Keith's voice seemed distant. Nick was suddenly extremely tired. He was even seeing things, the clock above seemed to be counting down from a minute.

"Drop the tough guy act Keith. You can't stop me, and you know it." Nick was flying again, and he closed his eyes, knowing the next impact would send him into darkness. He kept his eyes closed, waiting, but the impact never came.

"As an advisor, Rasha, I am responsible for the safety of these first years. You overstepped again." Nick opened his eyes, and saw Keith standing over him. His left arm was holding a kicking Rasha by the throat. He had taken off his gauntlet.

She kicked at the air, struggling against Keith's grasp, but his muscles bulged, and she suddenly stopped. He dropped her unconscious form to the ground and looked down at Nick.

"Sorry you had to see that buddy." He held out a hand, Nick tried to take it, but he just didn't have the energy to heal himself anymore.

"Looks like we lost." A red light filled the arena, and for a moment, Keith almost seemed sad. Was Keith upset about losing, or had Nick disappointed him? He wanted to know, but as pick him up, the sudden pain of moving sent Nick into darkness.