Chapter 54

Chapter 54

"Don't make me kill you." A voice stopped Keith's blade as it bit into the side of Nick's neck. A portal opened behind Naomi and Becca, and Alana stepped out.

"Don't flatter yourself Alana, you can't-"Keith's words were cut short, and suddenly the blade was no longer against Nick's neck. Instead, Keith's arm, blade still held in his hand, fell to the ground.

"As long as Nick lives, you won't be killed Keith." Alana stepped causally from her portal, smiling sweetly. Her eyes though, shown with anger. Nick fell to the ground, spitting up blood. He was weak, but his physical energy was healing his wounds. He crawled quickly towards Alana, and as he looked back at Keith, he couldn't believe what he saw.

The fourth year was on the ground, his right arm and leg cleanly severed, though the wounds had healed already. He was starring in disbelief and fear at Alana. "How?" It seems Keith couldn't read Alana's thoughts.

"Well that was quite easy, I simply opened a portal between your arm and leg, and your actual body. It's an easy way to deal with physicals. Portals are fast to summon, and if you can't see it coming, you don't know to dodge." She looked down at Nick. "I'm glad you are alright, I'm sorry I couldn't get here sooner."

Nick nodded, starring from her to Keith, before his mind snapped out of its daze. "Help Dagr." He croaked. At the same time, a beam of light from one of the DRAGOONs flew towards Nick and Alana. Nick closed his eyes, knowing that attack would likely destroy them all. However, it simply disappeared, before reappearing behind one of the DRAGOONs. The beam smashed into the robot, and it fell to its knees.

"Don't worry Nick, Fenrir told me he wanted to play a bit." A loud, wolf like howl echoed through the air, and a black, flaming form appeared from another portal. Fenrir smashed into Rasha's DRAGOON, his fangs ripping the robots head cleanly off the body. Then, even as it fell, he leapt to the next, pinning it on the ground as he tore it apart. The last standing DRAGOON, the one holding the spear in Dagr, tried to run.

Fenrir yawned lazily, and then opened his mouth. Dark energy formed, and a black beam shot forward. The fleeing DRAGOON erupted in a black flash, before it completely disintegrated. Fenrir's power was terrifying.

"Now, you should probably have Dagr return to his ethereal form. He will heal quicker that way." Alana placed a hand on Nick's shoulder, offering him a smile. "I'm glad I got to see his true form before I left." She then frowned as she looked at the chaos around her. Her eyes seemed to change, as if she was taking in all the destruction for the first time. "Though, I'm sorry you had to experience so much pain."

"I'm just glad you made it in time." He glanced at Dagr and saw the dragon shrinking, his physical form fading away. He found it hard to believe Dagr's true form was so terrifying, and he couldn't help but smile as a much smaller, ethereal Dagr flew towards him.

"Well, it was smart of you to send Dawon for me, otherwise Keith would have gotten away with his plan." Alana turned back towards Keith as she spoke. "You know, if you had left Nick alone, you would have been allowed to leave." The fourth year glared at her.

"You act like you knew what I was planning." He spat at Alana. She smiled back at him.

"I knew your plan to take your group and live your lives away from the CCUP. I also knew the loss of you five wouldn't hurt us at all. Five weaklings going rogue doesn't bother me."

"Weaklings?" Keith laughed at that. "We are some of the strongest." Alana held up her hand, cutting him off.

"You are nothing but an ant to those of us with true power." Alana's words seemed to infuriate Keith, and his left arm shot forward, sending the dagger flying directly towards her. The blade simply disappeared as it neared Alana.

"You see Keith, you are nothing to me. But even an ant can be of use to a queen." She laughed darkly, and suddenly Keith fell to the ground. Only the rise and fall of his chest let Nick know he was still alive. Nick was suddenly very afraid of Alana.

"Now Nick." She turned back to him, "don't you have some people to save?" Alana nodded towards Naomi and Becca. Without another word, Nick rushed to them. Becca was still unconscious, so Nick rushed first to Naomi, embracing her.

"I'm so sorry." He whispered, tears streaming down his face as his emotions overwhelmed him.

"Don't worry Nick, I'll punish you for it later." Her voice was light, but by the way she was shuddering, Nick could tell she was crying. He laughed and undid her restraints, allowing her to remove the collar that had been blocking her powers. As he finished freeing Becca, Naomi wrapped her arms around him, and pulled him in for a kiss. That kiss did more to heal him than any amount of physical energy ever could.

Thank you. Dawon's voice filled Nick's mind as he enjoyed Naomi's kiss, and he reluctantly pulled away from her. The tiger was at Becca's side, purring. Nick grinned, and picked up the healing device Keith had dropped. He pressed it against Becca's forehead, and pushed his physical power into her. Her eyes fluttered as she came to.

"Nick?" She looked around, confused, as she took in the carnage around her. Then her eyes widened as she starred at Nick. "My poor brother." Her eyes filled with tears, and could only assume she had read his mind.

"Hey, you're safe, it's all good." He offered her a grin, his arm around Naomi. "Besides, it would take a lot more than that to kill me." The last part was said with as much bravado as he could muster. But after everything that had just happened, he was feeling very much mortal.

"I-"He stopped speaking as pain suddenly rushed through his body. Nick fell to his knees, and the energy that had been flowing through his body to the other dimension, suddenly reared up. Eli's portal had collapsed, and the energy had nowhere to go.

"Nick!" He could hear Becca and Naomi's cries faintly as he fell to the ground, fighting the energy that threatened to escape. The air around him crackled, and the power ripped at his very being.

"Run, away." He whispered, tears streaming down his face. How was this fair, how had he survived all of that, just to fall now? He cursed his luck, but knew he had brought this upon himself. Now all Nick could do, was hope the others could get to safety, before he destroyed himself.

Nick felt a pressure on his head as the energy began to condense, preparing to erupt from him. He opened his eyes, and saw Alana, starring down at him, a sad smile on her face. "You aren't allowed to die just yet Nick." And then, everything went black.