Chapter 55 (Final Chapter)

Chapter 55

He was floating through the darkness, the glow of distant stars illuminating the empty abyss of space. Something about this felt familiar, and he knew what was going to come next. As if on cue, a light appeared before him, and a form began to take shape. It appeared reptilian, with wings growing from its back, and eyes full of intelligence. A name drifted through his mind. Dagr.

Nick. The voice echoed into his mind, and with it, thoughts began to form. He saw a battlefield, with the wreckage of DRAGOONs strewn about. He saw a giant wolf, covered in dark flames, with eyes of crimson. And he saw a girl, starring into his eyes; a sad smile on her face.

Nick. Dagr's voice echoed again, louder this time. More memories flowed into him. A torrent of swirling energy, searing pain. A feeling of inevitable doom, and death. A sense of longing, and sorrow. Was he dead? Had he killed Naomi and Becca? A tear ran down his cheek, and then a set of words flowed again into his head.

"You aren't allowed to die just yet Nick."

Nick! His dream shattered, and his eyes shot open. He looked around as his mind replayed the events that had led up to this point. Dagr's face was peering into him, the dragon laying on his chest.

"What happened?" He was certain he should be dead. How was he still alive? And more importantly, was Becca and Naomi safe?

"I saved you." Alana stepped into his room, Fenrir at her side. He couldn't help but notice she was no longer wearing her school uniform, but instead a golden dress, that seemed to cling to her form.

"How, what..." He couldn't formulate sentences. Eli's power was killing him, Nick's should have caused him to die as well.

"I temporarily recreated the portal that Eli had placed into you, and then sealed your powers away. Afterwards, I stabilized your body, and with your own power, I opened both portals within you." She did what with his powers?

"And now, your energy levels have stabilized for now at level 100." He pulled up his holo-screen and checked, drawing in his energy. Sure enough, all four charts showed a 100. Was he going to be limited to that strength?

"No, as your body becomes able to handle more energy, it will naturally increase. Through this, you will be able to gain powers that would have been previously unfathomable to you." She smiled at him, but her eyes seemed sad.

"Could this save Eli?" If Nick could be saved like this, why hadn't they cured Eli?

"No, his body sustained too much damage when he opened his first portal. His power levels far exceeded what a normal human should ever be exposed to, so even if we had attempted this, he would have died." Nick could hear her voice crack, and he remembered how much it seemed the two had cared for each before Eli left.

"Then why did it work for me?" What made him different?

"It is because of your link to Dagr, and your affinity for all four energies. It is a little more complex, but for now, just accept that explanation." Nick started to ask another question, but was cut silent by Fenrir's growl.

"I cannot stay and answer any more questions Nick, I am on my way to leave the Academy." She stood and turned away. "I just had to make sure you were awake before I left. The President wanted to ensure you were fully healed and ready, before I could go."

How long had he been unconscious for?

"Two months." She smiled at him sadly, and left. If he had been unconscious for two months, that means he missed Naomi's graduation and that she was gone.

"She left this for you Nicholas." A new voice pulled him away from his brooding, and President Bradley J. Hunter walked into the room. He had a small white envelope in his hand. "An archaic form of sending messages, but I do approve of that young girls personal touch." He held the envelope towards Nick.

"Thank you sir." Nick reached for the envelope, and as his hand touched it, a pain flashed through his mind. Memories rushed back to him, and as he pulled the envelope away, President Bradley, no, Zeus, smiled back.

"We have a lot to talk about Nicholas."