Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Their teacher offered up an introduction, informing the first years she was a former Int from the Academy, who had taken on the role of teaching the next generation. From there, she launched into the history of the CCUP, the war against the aliens, known as Devourers, and the creation of the DRED Knights. The last two parts would have been fascinating to Nick, had his mind not been so preoccupied.

For two hours the lecture continued, the instructor seeming full of energy, the room of first years, much less so. The two hours felt like a life-time, and Nick found it increasingly hard to hold back the questions he had for his sister. To her credit, if she had questions of her own, she hid it well, as she never looked back at Nick during the entire class.

"That is about it for our time today. Next week, we will begin focusing on the first war against the Devourers, and the lessons learned from that time. You are now dismissed for lunch." These words were accompanied with the lights turning back on, and movement throughout the auditorium.

"It seems we have some catching up to do Nick." Becca eyed Nick before looking at the Mystics around her. "I'll catch up with you guys in our next class." They nodded, and headed out of the auditorium.

"Dawon, can you take us somewhere private?" Her tiger stretched slowly, letting out an audible purr, and then a rift opened. Becca looked once at Nick, and stepped through.

"Do you know who that is?"

I cannot say I do. Up until now, Dagr had known the other creatures they had encountered. The admission that he didn't know Becca's, piqued Nick's interest even more. Without another word, he and Dagr stepped through the rift.

Immediately, Nick realized they were no longer at the Academy. The sky overhead was purple, with orange streaks blazing through. All around, the ground was dark, with strange, glowing neon flowers. The air, was strangely sweet. Nick also noticed his body seemed lighter, and he guessed the gravity was much lower wherever they were.

"I must admit Nick, I am surprised to find out you have spiritual energy." Becca was sitting atop her tiger, who was now much larger. "Perhaps you are a little more than just muscle." She smiled, and he knew she was messing with him.

He smiled back. He hadn't realized how much he missed her. "I'm surprised you aren't an Int, I figured that would have been the, logical, thing to do." He couldn't help mocking her back. Becca stuck her nose up, and raised her hand. A ball of light appeared instantly.

"Your statement shows your ignorance." She laughed and dropped the ball in front of her tiger. It began to uncurl, and her tiger started playing with it as a cat would yarn. "I did score rather high for Intellectual, as well as Spiritual, by Mystical was my highest of my three energies."

There it was, her I'm better than you act. "In order to utilize mystical energy, I have to fully understand it, and understand the very nature of the world we live in. Mystical energy is about manipulating and bending the very matter that exists around us, changing and shaping it to my will." She smiled at Nick. "The lesser schools call it magic, but really it is just a higher understanding."

"I wouldn't expect someone with your intelligence to understand though."

"Wanna help me out again buddy?" Dagr grinned, seeing his mind. Nick pointed towards one of the flowers as he felt Dagr expertly pull on his minuscule amount of mystical energy. Lightning formed on his fingertips, and arched towards the plant, scorching it. Becca's look was priceless.

"Hate to break it to you Becca, but I actually have an affinity for all four energies." She starred at him, then looked at her tiger, and smiled.

"That was a cute trick Nick, but Dawon just informed me you weren't the one actually utilizing your power. You may have an affinity for it, but your dragon has to control it. How sad." That hit a nerve.

She's got a point.

"Don't take her side!"

"Eh, I've just been too busy to really work on the other powers. I'm not sure if you knew this, but I'm the top ranked first year physical."

"Well, I'm glad all your years working out and doing your fighting games didn't go to waste." She stepped off her tiger and walked towards him. "However, just being physically strong does not make you truly strong." Dawon began to grow behind her, solidifying. "There is so much more to these powers, than just physical strength." The tiger took on color and size, dwarfing Becca. He roared, and turned towards Nick.

You don't have enough stored energy for me to do that just yet. He had been hoping to counter Becca's impressive display, but Dagr shot that idea down. It's not your fault Nicholas, I require a massive amount of spiritual energy to assume my true form.

"Are you saying you're more powerful than Dawon."

I'm certain of it. At least there was that.

In the time it took Nick to figure out a comeback, after his quick conversation with Dagr, two things happened. First, Dawon began to shudder, and fade. Second, Becca's eyes closed, and she started to fall. Nick rushed to her and caught her before she could hit the ground.

"Well, you are fast." She whispered from his arms, her face white. "It seems even here, the drain is too immense." Dawon was back to the size of a small kitten, and leapt gently onto Becca's chest.

She will be fine in a moment, I pulled too much power from her. The voice in his head was strong, and proud. It takes immense willpower for her to wield so much energy. You should be proud of her.

"I am." He saw Becca smile weakly, and he helped her to sit up against him. "That was a rather irrational thing to do." She laughed.

"For some reason, you make me do irrational things." They both laughed. His stomach growled, interrupting the moment, reminding him it was lunch time.

"Some food would probably help me get my strength back before class." Becca started to stand, shakily.

"Dagr?" His dragon pulled at his spiritual energy, and opened a rift back to the Academy. Wherever Becca had taken them, it required a lot of energy to travel back. He almost didn't have enough power.

We will get stronger. Dagr assured him, as they walked through the portal, back to the Academy.