Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Nick didn't sleep much that night. He was too excited. As such, he was now standing in front of Keith, bleary eyed, yet bristling with energy.

"You know Nick, I generally don't recommend fighting me when you're half asleep.... especially given your lack of uh.... ability currently." He pulled an apple out of his pocked. Keith really loved stealing fruit. "Tell you what- "he took a bite out of the apple, "since you're not at full strength, I'll fight you while I'm eating. Should even the odds."

This will be amusing. Nick couldn't help but laugh at Dagr's comment.

"You going delirious on me?" Another bite of apple. "You ready?"

Nick nodded, already pulling in his energy. As the fire spread through his body, he could feel it taking effect. Keith moved around Nick, appearing to jog lazily around him. Normally, he would simply disappear and reappear as he struck Nick, but the physical energy had heightened his senses.

Nick smiled, keeping a mental note of Keith as the fourth year moved behind him, trying his best not to betray the fact the he could track him. As Keith lunged in, Nick waited for the very last moment, before ducking under the lazy punch, and countering with an attack of his own.

His newfound speed and strength, coupled with Keith's utter shock, allowed him to land a solid blow on the fourth year, blasting him backwards a few feet, and sending the air out of him.

"What the-" Keith was gasping, spitting up apple chunks, though surprisingly still holding onto the apple itself.

"Did I forget to mention I can use my physical energy now?" Nick was laughing, the energy having fully flushed away his tiredness, allowing him to truly enjoy this moment.

"Imma make you pay for that Nicky." Keith was laughing as well.

"I've got a couple months' worth of bruises to repay you for." Nick drew upon his power, and with blinding speed rushed Keith. The fourth's face again took on a look of surprise, and Nick landed another blow.

"Woah now..." Keith took a bite of apple. "You shouldn't be this strong yet."

"Let's just say, my energy had been storing up over the past five months." He took off again, pulling in even more power. He kept his mind focused on the energy though, cautious not to pull in too much.

Keith's reaction speed seemed slow, and Nick landed a kick across the fourth year's back, sending him tumbling to the ground, this time causing him to drop his apple.

Keith stood slowly, looking truly hurt that he had dropped his apple. "I hope you realize, I cannot forgive you for that." Keith closed his eyes, and Nick's instincts were telling him he was in danger.

"I-" Keith disappeared, and suddenly Nick was on the ground. The blow came so quick his body took a moment to even register the pain. Even filled with his energy, Keith was moving too quickly for him to watch?

"You surprised me Nick, you really did." Keith's voice was all around him. "You're stronger than any first year here, not sure how, but you are." A kick to his side sent him tumbling as he tried to stand.

"But don't get ahead of yourself." Another kick, his energy barely healing him before another strike came. "There is a power gap of three years between us." Nick was back on the ground, this time from an overhead punch.

"Not only that," Keith was standing in front of him, his face smiling now. "but you've got three years' worth of training before you will truly master your energy."

Nick coughed, blood coming out, as he stood. "I'm not done yet." He pulled in all he could, stopping right along the edge of life and death, aware he had drawn in his limit. He was going to hit the forth year one more time.

Nick dug in his feet and pushed all his power into his legs as he sprung forward. Keith didn't move, and for a second, Nick was certain he was moving faster than the fourth year could keep up. The moment his fist neared Keith though, he realized he had misread the situation.

Keith was easily tracking Nick, and willingly had chosen to stand there. As Nick's fist, with all his energy behind it neared the fourth year, the air around Keith's body seemed to harden. His fist hit what felt like a wall, and he could feel the bones in his hand shatter. Nick fell to the ground, a cry of pain escaping his mouth. Luckily his fire quickly burned away the pain.

"I'll give you props Nicky, you're the first Phys from a lower class ever to land a punch on me." He sat down beside Nick, and he had another apple in his hand.

"However, being able to draw in a lot of power of just the first step to true strength as a Phys." He handed the apple to Nick, a look of pride on his face. "Rank first in your class at the end of the week, and I'll personally begin to teach you how to become the greatest Phys at this school."

Nick took the apple, enjoying its sweetness. He could really see why Keith enjoyed these. "That's a promise."

Keith smiled and stood, looking down at the other first years training. "You wanna spar Naomi sometime this week? You could surprise her like you did me."

"Think I should?" Nick was hesitant to take on another fourth year so soon after he had seen Keith's full power.

"Well.... I think it would be funny." He turned to look at Nick. "Though, as much as I hate it, she is stronger than I am."

"She's the strongest Phys?" He couldn't imagine someone stronger than Keith after what he just saw.

"Nah, she's number two."

"Whose number one?" Naomi and Keith were the only fourth years he had met so far.

"Once you rank first, you'll probably meet him. Word of advice though, when you do, don't get on his bad side." He started walking down the hill towards the first years.

"What would I do that would get on his bad side?" Nick followed, taking another bite of the apple.

"For one, getting too close to Naomi." Keith laughed and disappeared. Nick felt his stomach sink, and suddenly, the apple didn't taste as sweet.