Seven.

"Hey Chris," I said walking into the door of the home he and his mother shared. All I could remember was coming over here all the time when we were younger to just hangout.

He greeted me back, adding a hug to it. Chris had always been so affectionate, not just to me, but to everyone. That's just the person he was.

"Where's Momma Dee? Is she in her bedroom?"

He nodded, "I told her you were coming over and she got really happy, she said she hasn't seen you in a while."

I simply laughed because I could just imagine the look on her face. We had always been so close, closer than my actual mom and I were. She was always at my games and dance recitals, that's something I couldn't say about my biological mom.

When she got sick a couple years back, it took a toll on all three of us; Chris, Brianna and myself. As you could imagine, it hit Chris the hardest because his mom was and still is his best friend. Of course he has us, but no one can compare to what he and his mom have. It's beautiful and in fact quite hard to find now a days.

"I know, I really miss her. I need to start making it a priority to come visit her more often," I stated honestly. All she's done for me, I really do need to start visiting her. "I thought Brianna was supposed to come too, where is she?"

"Oh, she's with Chresanto. She'll be over in a minute," he said stirring something in a pot. I nodded, uninterested.

"Well I'm going to go to the back and see her."

I made my way to the back to a peaceful woman, watching Lifetime. That has always been her favorite channel, I remember he watching Lifetime movies 24/7 and she could tell you exactly what was going to happen; but she was no longer that woman anymore. Her hair was thick anymore, it had been falling out to where she only had some patches of it left. Her skin didn't have that dark, golden brown anymore either. It was like the life was slowly draining out of her, and it pained me to even see this. She just wasn't the same anymore.

"Chanel baby, is that you?" He voice was so hoarse.

"Hey momma, how are you?" I walked over to the bed and bent down to give her a hug and a peck on the cheek.

"I'm f-," she coughed. "Fine."

"Are you sure? You don't look fine to me. A better question would be, how are you feeling?" I gave her a straight face, but a look of compassion. I didn't really know how to act in a situation like this.

"I feel great Nelly, don't let my sickness convince you that I'm feeling bad. I don't feel as near as bad as I look, honey." We both laughed and then the room went silent again. "Are you still doing what I think you're doing?"

I forgot to mention that I also told her that I stripped and, well, was a prostitute.

She looked at me waiting for my response, so I nodded.

"I don't like you doing that Chanel Audrey Ramirez, I told you that from the beginning."

"I just-- I can't stop now ma. I've thought about going back to school, but money is good." She looked at me as if I was an alien from another planet.

"You are too smart for that dumb shit," she could barely get that sentence out.

There were no words. She was right, but I just can't stop. I've been doing this for so long, it's just so easy to me.

"Well, uh, Chris is making dinner and Bri is on her way over here. I think she's bringing her boyfriend, too."

"Oh, Chresanto? He's a nice kid and very handsome." She said, turning her attention back to the movie.

Am I the only one that hasn't met him?

"You used to be such a happy girl Chanel, so full of life. Now you're letting these men run through you, for what? You can get money by using your brain. You know you have it." I put my head down, ashamed.

"I'm gonna go back in the front with Chris. I'll- I'll be over there more often to see you."

I shut the door tightly and went to the living room where Chris was sitting.. with Brianna and Chresanto.

"Hey Nel, I was wondering where you were! How's momma doing?" Brianna asked with a huge smile.

"She said she's fine, I don't believe it though." I looked over at Chresanto who was looking at me. It looked like he wanted to say something, but the words didn't come out. "Hi Chresanto."

"Oh, hey Chanel. What's up?" He was looking at me, but it looked like he was paying no attention whatsoever.

I figured it was a rhetorical question, so I didn't answer. I decided to change the subject, "So is the food almost done?"

Chris nodded, "it's been done for about five minutes now. You were still in the back, so I couldn't tell you."

I nodded back and headed to the kitchen, I could feel eyes on the back of me and I kind of had a feeling on who it was.

This is going to be harder than I thought.