Eighteen.

It was my first day at the new job and I got here a little early to make a good impression.

"Good morning Mr.Smith, I brought you a coffee since I grabbed myself one." I smiled and sat the coffee on his desk.

He continued to type away on his computer, but looked up and smiled at me. "Thank you Chanel. I have someone coming in to show you to your office and tell you what you need to do."

As soon as he said that, in walked a woman that looked to be around my age. She was a little taller than me and she had was a tan color, Caucasian. Her hair was in a neat low pony tail, while mine was in a high bun.

She reached her hand out to shake mine, "I'm Avery, nice to meet you. You must be Chanel.

I smiled and nodded as she continued to speak. "Follow me this way to your office."

She started walking and lead me to a huge space next door. There was already a desk and a computer with some plants against the wall. Overall, this was a pretty nice place. "Okay, so this is your office."

"This is really nice!"

"I know right, it is! Most of the offices in this building look like this," she smiled and nodded. "So Mr.Smith told me to give you this stack of files and organize them alphabetically. Then he needs to to call these numbers and schedule these appointments."

There was a huge pile of files sat on my desk, it was going to take me hours do sort these. "Is that all?" I asked with sarcasm clear in my voice.

Avery chuckled a little, "It seems like a lot but you'll get through it before you know." She sensed that it didn't lighten the mood so she spoke again, "How about we go to lunch around one and I can show you around and introduce you?"

I remembered that Momma Dee gave me a plate to eat for lunch, but this was my first day and I wasn't going to turn down an offer like that. "Sure, that sounds great. Well, I guess I better get started on this."

She nodded in understanding and began to walk out. "Oh, I'll be up here at around 12:45."

.

After a good four to five hours of organizing and making phone calls I saw Avery at by door with a huge smile. I've it noticed that she's such an upbeat person, really jittery.

I motioned for her to come in.

"Hey Chanel, I see you got all your work done. That's great! Are you ready for lunch?" I nodded and she spoke again, "I know this delicious place right around the corner and we can com back here and eat in the lounge. That's really where everyone eats anyway."

"Sounds fun."

We took the elevator down to the first floor and walked outside to be greeted by the bright sun. California was hot a hell during the day, then at night it would be freezing cold; even during the summer.

It only took us about five minutes to get to the little restaurant Avery was talking about. It wasn't the fast food restaurant that I was used to, but it still had a drive-thru and everything. I had never seen anything like this.

I was in complete awe at how beautiful this side of the city was and how busy the streets were. There were people walking up and down the side walks as cars passed up and down the streets. Most of the area was taken up by huge buildings and billboards. It kind of made me think of New York. This side of town was beautiful.

"Chanel, are you alright?" Avery asked, snapping me out of the thoughts that were running through my mind.

"Huh?"