Twenty-Three.

I'd be lying if I said that New York wasn't one of the most fascinating places I've seen. That's probably because I haven't been to that many places before. Actually, California is the only place I've been my whole life.

We moved into an condo that had a great view of the Statue of Liberty. People walked back and forth down the streets and there we giant buildings everywhere with billboards that lit up the entire square.

The condo honestly was more like a house than it was a condo. It was majority glass, and in the middle of the floor was a giant spiral staircase. It wasn't the same place Jarod lived in, he said that it would be way too small for all of us. It surprised me that he was actually being considerate.

When we were in high school he was never like this, or maybe he was and I was too blinded by love to even notice.

Speaking of him, he left at around 8 this morning for his first official practice with his new members. I was never one to cook, but I guess I was supposed to have a hot meal on the table when he got home; which would be in an hour or so.

Aubree had been wide awake ever since the plane flight this morning, so she was knocked out now and I was glad. It gave me time to throw something together for food. When we got here, the refrigerator was stocked with food. I smiled to myself because that was a little less work for me.

I wasn't really sure on what to cook for him because I wasn't sure what he liked to eat. In high school his favorite food was mashed potatoes and roast beef, so I guess that's what I'll do for him.

Right when I was about to start the food my phone began ringing. It had been ringing all day and I knew who it was that was calling.

I decided on whether I wanted to answer or not, because I hadn't excepted any of the calls all day. My finger found its way to the green button and I sighed, holding the phone up to my ear.

"Chanel, you haven't been answering my calls all day. Why are you ignoring me? Is it because of what I told you at the party?" He inquired.

I didn't know what to say, I didn't want to hurt his feelings and tell him that what he said sort of freaked me out. But I was all the way in New York, thousands of miles from California, what could he possibly do.

"Kind of, I didn't expect you to say that to me." I paused, "this was never supposed to be more than an affair."

He chuckled into the phone, which sort of creeped me out. "You and I both know that you wanted more than just an affair, but now that your high school sweetheart is back in the picture it's a different story."

"That's not true. It was never more than an affair Ben."

The line was silent, probably struck a nerve or something. Oh well.

"Is that all you called me for? That's what you've been blowing up a nigga phone for all damn day?"

"I fucking love you, girl. And you don't see that?" He semi-yelled.

I rolled my eyes. "You're supposed to love your wife, that's why you married her."

"Now you're worried about doing the right thing?" I didn't respond. "I loved her before I met you."

"I have to go now, bye."

He started to speak, but I cut him off by hanging the phone up.

.

.

"How's the food?" I asked Jarod as he took his first bite.

This was my first time ever cooking a meal like this and I'm not sure how it tasted.

"It's alright," he shrugged.

"Just alright? I thought this was your favorite food," I whined.

"Yeah, in high school." He began eating again.

I tried to make conversation by asking, "how was work?"

"Good," he responded dryly. "We're going to have a pretty good team, I can tell."

"When's the first game?"

"The regular season doesn't start for months, but we have post season league that starts in a week. I'm going to need you to be there for support." His plate was clean by now, but the food was just "alright".

He got up and handed me his plate; then he soon disappeared down the hall. Minutes later I heard his footsteps going up the stairs.

I tasted it and thought that it actually tasted pretty good. Maybe something is wrong with his taste buds.

I watched him walk off and disappear up the stairs, probably heading to the bedroom. It didn't even matter, I actually tried having a hot meal for him on the table and he doesn't even appreciate that.

This is all such a new thing for me. It's not my responsibility to take care of the house while he goes to work and brings the money in. I have to keep the house clean and all sorts of things.

The good thing is that Jarod gave me a card that he adds money to every month, since I don't work and it was his idea for me to move up here with him in such short notice. It was all his idea and he doesn't even act like he wanted this at all.

Maybe things will get better.

. . . . . . . . . .

Sorry the chapters have been so short, I just want to give you guys some updates! Next chapter will be longer, promise!