Thirty-Eight.

"Oh my god," I said to myself. The phone slipped out of my hand and crushed into pieces on the floor.

I fell on the floor and broke down. Tears continued to poor out and I couldn't stop them. How could she be dead, she can't be. She was perfectly fine before I left for New York.

Chresanto rushed to my side and wrapped his arms around me. "Chanel, what happened?"

I continued to cry, harder and harder the tears came out. "Sh-she's dead Chresanto, Chris' mom is dead!"

He looked just as surprised as I was, "are you serious? Oh my god."

I never even got the chance to tell her goodbye, all the things she's done for me and I didn't even get to tell her that. All because of my childish ways and my grudge towards Chris and Brianna.

That should have never got in the way of Momma and I's relationship. I can't help but to feel like this is all my fault. If I could have called her one last time.

"Chres, I have to fly down there. As soon as possible, I need to see Chris. I know he's not doing good and although we aren't on good terms, I've still known him my whole life." I explained.

He nodded, "I'm coming with you. I can us a flight down there tonight. Is that good?"

"Yeah, that's fine. I just need to go home and get some clothes."

.

Chresanto and I pulled up in the parking lot of Jarod's condo. I decided that I'd be moving out once I got back from California and try to find my own place. I figured since I confessed my liking to Chresanto, I don't have to put up with his mess anymore.

He claimed he wanted a family, but he doesn't pay any attention to Aubrey. Speaking of Aubrey, before I got wasted last night, I asked the nanny to stay over and keep her.

I was determined to spend more time with her than I have been, but going to California is something I need to do alone. Well, alone with Chresanto.

"Can you come with me?" I asked.

He nodded and got out of the car, as did I. We both walked up to the door and I pulled the keys out of my purse.

I made sure to quietly close the door, not to make too much noise in case Aubrey was down for a nap.

I looked around for any sign of Jarod and/or Avery, but there was none. I didn't pay it any mind and focused on what I came here to do.

The nanny then walked out of the kitchen and smiled at Chresanto and I.

"I need a huge favor from you: could you possibly keep Aubrey for the next day or two? I'm not sure if I'll be gone that long, but just in case. I'll pay you extra and you can stay in the guest room." I questioned.

The nanny I hired was an older woman, in her last fifty's I think. She was very sweet nonetheless and she loved taking care of Aubrey. She did well with her.

"No problem," she replied with her think Spanish accent.

Now that I think of it, she reminded me of Consuela from Family Guy. I chuckled to myself and turned to walk up the stairs.

"Wait down here?" I said to Chresanto.

"Yeah, sure. Nice place by the way," he sat on the couch and turned on the television.

"Oh, you're one to talk." I smiled.

I continued up the stairs until I heard whispers coming from my bedroom. I hurriedly put my back against the wall
right outside of the door to listen.

It sounded like Jarod and Avery; that's when it all kicked in, they were together last night. Which is why neither of them were nowhere to be found.

"Who cares what she thinks, we don't touch each other. We barely are even together," I heard Jarod say.

True statement.

"But she's my friend, and she was so nice to me. She'll hate me if she finds out that I slept with you," Avery said.

"Then maybe we shouldn't tell her. You could move up here and I'll get you a nice apartment. You can tell her that you bought it yourself and when I get off of work, I'll come see you. Maybe even on my off days," I could hear the smile in his voice.

"I don't know-" she started.

It grew silent so I assumed that he cut her off with a kiss or something.

"Just think about it," he said.

I took that as my cue to enter the room. Avery jumped but Jarod laid there. He probably didn't see me because his back was turned to the door.

Avery pointed towards where I was standing and he shifted to face me.

"Oh Chanel, it's not what it looks like." He tried to say.

I stood there waiting for him to make up a lie on what it was.

"It started as a drunk hook up, alright? We were super drunk last night and we ended up having sex, but then we kind of started feeling each other." He paused, "but you can't be mad because I know you don't have feelings for me."

"I'm not mad," I chuckled. "And you're right, I don't have feelings for you. I came here to pack a few outfits because I'm flying to California for a funeral. When I come back, Aubrey and I will be leaving."

"Wait, so you aren't mad at me?" Avery asked.

"I'm not mad at either of you." I went to the closet and grabbed my suitcase, and some outfits.

Then I turned to the bathroom and grabbed my personal hygiene items.

"It would be another story if I actually loved you or had some type of feelings for you, but I don't. I guess I was sort of trying to force myself to," I said as I put all the items into my suitcase. "I'll be out of your hair in a few days."

"Are we still friends?" Avery asked again. I don't know why she was sweating this, because I sure wasn't.

"Yeah, sure." I said and turned out of the room to leave.

I walked down the stairs to see Chresanto on the phone. When he saw me, he smiled and hung up.

"Well, our flight leaves in two hours so we should probably get going." He said.

I nodded, "how did you get a flight that fast?"

"Oh no baby, I don't need to book a flight. We're flying on a private jet," he said walking towards the door.