Twenty-Six.

The alarm on my phone woke me up from my deep slumber. I had a feeling that today was going to be a crazy one, but I'm glad that Avery is coming to spend a few days with me.

I sat up and stretched. The spot next to me was empty because Jarod had left at around 6 this morning to take care of some business for the game later.

I was relieved because I didn't feel like hearing his mouth at all this morning, better yet all day.

My phone began to ring and I knew it was Avery either texting or calling me.

I looked at the text that read: "Be at the airport in about 30."

I decided to leave right now. Although the airport was only about half that time away, the traffic would probably be a little backed up.

I called the nanny and told her that she needed to come over and take care of Aubrey for the entire day. Bringing her to the game would just be crazy since she doesn't like to keep still for anything and she falls asleep easily.

Avery texted me again telling me that she was now 15 minutes away from the airport, great.

I speed dressed and threw my hair in a neat, high ponytail. The doorbell ring and I knew it was the nanny. I let her in and paid her in advance.

Traffic wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it wasn't as good as I wanted it either.

It took me a good 20 minutes to actually get to the airport and another 10 to find a reasonable parking space.

Funny how I spotted Avery as soon as I walked in. Her hair looked the same, or maybe she added a little blonde to it. It wasn't in one of this high buns or low ponytails like it usually was, it was hanging and curled. She had a huge smile on her face showing her deep dimples that I envied.

The only simple I had was in my chin and I've always hated that.

Avery was beyond gorgeous and it's a shame that she couldn't see that.

She ran up to me and engulfed me in the tightest bear hug ever. I, of course, returned the kind gesture and wrapped my arms around her.

I guess you could say that Avery was becoming my best friend by now.

"It's so good to see you Chanel, I missed you so much. There's really no one else I can gossip with and tell all the business to." She dropped her shoulders and her lips.

I laughed, "tell me about it. I have literally no one up here but Aubrey."

"What about Jarod?"

"That's a long story," I paused, "that I will tell you when we're out of this damn airport. Let's go."

.

"He seriously did that to you?" Avery asked in a shocked way. She sort of rooted for Jarod and I.

"Bible he did. I regret not even hitting him back, damn." I rubbed my temples.

"Chanel, I know you've known him since school days. Has he had an abusive past with you, or a history with anger problems?"

"Not abuse, but he's always had a bad ass temper. I mean, it would usually be because of all the weed he smoked but I didn't even smell drugs on his breath. I know it wasn't because of that." I looked through the rack of clothes.

"I just feel like one day he's going to flip and hit you, then I'm going to have to come up here and kill him." She nudged my shoulder and winked.

"Enough about me, what's going on down there in California with you?"

"You'll never believe this, but Smith's wife walked in on his little affair. She blew the hell up. Started throwing things everywhere around his office and slapped him across his face. His entire right side of his face was purple and I died in laughter." She clutched her stomach and began laughing.

I laughed too because I knew he would get caught at some point. "What about Brittany?"

"She beat the hell out of Brittany. I guarantee you she won't be with another guy for a while, she looks horrible. Scratches and bruises all over her damn body."

I shook my head and grabbed a white long sleeve crop top and some royal blue jeans. I suppose I'll wear that to the game with these Knicks shoes that I got from the previous store.

"Mrs.Smith is supposed to be taking over his entire company. She's going to be getting it anyway after she files for a divorce," Avery said nonchalantly.

"He deserves it, I guess."

She nodded in agreement.

"So what are you going to do about Jarod?" She asked, breaking the silence. It wasn't awkward because we were busy deciding on what we wanted to eat.

After we said McDonald's would be fine to hold us until the game, we began talking again.

"I'm not even sure. I mean, he was the one who wanted me to move up here and now he's just turned into someone I don't even remember loving." I pulled up to the drive-thru and ordered.

I don't usually eat McDonald's and when I do, I order the same thing every time: a salad and a large fry. That's a weird combination, but whatever.

"Yeah, the way you describe him now makes him sound like a monster or something like that."

I thought about that and she was absolutely right. I don't even know why I'm still with him; but I fear that if I do try and leave, he'll do something to stop me from it. And right now, I have no other money income but him.

"I'll probably leave after I find a job and a place to stay, I don't have enough on my own right now and I don't know enough about this place."

She chewed on a fry, "so he's your only means of income?"

I nodded.

"Well I see now, you should start saving up all the money he gives you to get a temporary apartment or something. The condos up here are really nice from what I heard. Then you can find some type of job."

The rest of the car ride was silent, up until she got to my house. She stared at it in amazement and began touching and rubbing everything.

"This is absolutely gorgeous Chanel," she gawked. "I told you the place were nice here and you acted like you didn't know what I was talking about."

The nanny, Mrs.Adams, walked in the living room with Aubrey in her arms.

"Mrs.Adams, this is my good friend Avery. We're going to be leaving again in about two hours." She nodded in understanding and walked out of the room.

"You have the cutest little girl ever." Avery complimented. "And the nicest house ever! And an amazing car. You're living it up up here."

"Eh, it means nothing when you have no one to hang with and don't know your place around the city. I sort of just drive around to get to know things better." I shrugged. "I'm kind of missing California. Don't get me wrong, it's amazing here but I just wish I knew more people."

"I get it, so you thinking about moving back to California?" She asked.

"No, I'm probably going to stay up here. But I'm definitely going to come for a visit soon."