Chapter Twenty: Nothing Do Us Part

Forty-eight hours.

That's how long Edan was happy before tragedy struck.

She had finally fully recovered from the agonizing sickness that threatened to take her away from them. He had hope that the second time it wouldn't be so bad.

He was wrong.

He was very wrong.

It was worse. Much worse than the last time.

Her skin was sickly pale, all colour from her body was gone. Her lips were no longer as pink but replaced with a grey hue. Her pink tinted cheeks held no more colour. She looked lifeless. If it wasn't for the short breathes she struggled to take every so often the siblings would have thought the female they've come to love was dead.

The faint colour on her skin made her hair seem darker and her lashes longer.

The bucket they used to empty the wolf from their body was full.

It was all happening too fast, and there was no way to undo any of it.

She could no longer shift and bring back her wolf because it was to far gone. She was to far gone. If it wasn't for her human side she'd already be dead.

Edan paced back and forth, developing Everest's habit of picking at his fingernails when he was stressed.

His heart was beating to fast, Everest even warned him to slow it down or he'd have a heart attack.

He watched Everest examine Glory. Feeling her pulse, checking her temperature, looking in her mouth -

Edan wanted to yell at her to tell him something useful already.

"What?" He stopped pacing, watching his sister examine his mates teeth.

"Her gums are turning black," she removed her touch from Glory. Sighing - why did this have to happen now?

Edan massaged his temples, a sickening feeling churning in his stomach. There wasn't anything they could do for her, they could only hope for her to get better and turn human. Or else she dies.

Edan didn't leave her side, just like the other day when she was sick. The only difference this time was the amount of worry he was feeling. His worry was multiplied by a hundred this time

"Edan, she's not getting better," it's been twenty-four hours since the sickness has hit her, usually it's starts to clear up a little. As long as it usually lasts, the first twenty hours are the most horrific to experience. "She's getting worse."

Edan knew she was getting worse, she had thrown up in her sleep, her skin was cold as ice and her gums had turned almost completely black.

"She's not going to make it."

"Don't say that Everest."

"You and I both know that she's not going to make it. Look at her. She should be dead already."

Edan ran his fingers through his hair. Stressing - an aching feeling in his heart upon hearing his sisters words. "I know," he whispered, staring at Glory's nearly dead body.

"What the hell are we going to do with her body?" Everest stared at the beta's daughter.

Edan glared at his sister, she had always been the one to show less compassion. She didn't want to be discovered and he got that. But right now he really needed her support. "She's not dead yet," he spoke through gritted teeth.

"Yeah, but when she does. You know what happens to wolves when they die right? Their smell is more intensified than when they shift. If she dies - we're dead. She's a luna in line, they're looking for her everywhere."

"She's not going to die!" Edan was suddenly hit with a brain-splitting headache. "Wait - " he squinted his eyes at his sister. "How do you know that she's a beta's daughter?"

Everest rolled her eyes, dismissing his question.

"Everest, I wanna know," he gazed at his sister. Judging her. "Did you happen to know what pack she's from?"

The look in her eyes said it all. He looked at her disbelief written all over his face. "You've got to be kidding me? Son of a rogue. Do you know when her mating ceremony will be too?" His voice dripped with sarcasm.

Everest mismatched eyes dropped to the ground. Everest didn't feel shame. She didn't feel guilty. She did what she wanted to do. She did what needed to be done, this was one of the things.

If he hadn't gotten so attached to her he wouldn't have cared if Everest didn't tell him these things or not. She didn't expect him to care for Glory at all.

"What?" He asked, voice gravelly with emotion. "You disappointed you didn't get an invitation?" He scoffed. "You're unbelievable, Everest."

"You know I have heightened senses," she quickly spoke. She hated seeing her brother like this. She hated when he was angry at her, he was the only person she ever wanted to please and she's let him down tremendously. She did feel apologetic for what she did. . .

"So do I!" He yelled. "I may be turning human soon, I could be human next week! But two years ago - you don't think I smelled him on you? I know you sneaked out to someone - I know you walked in the forest for hours to get rid of his scent. No ordinary wolf would've smelled that - but I'm no ordinary wolf and you know it. You know I can still hear the faint sound of your heartbeat when Glory talks about her home. I know it was someone from her pack. We used to visit their pack all the time when we were younger - what was the alpha's son name again - the one you had your eyes on - "

"Edan!"

His ears twitched at the sound he heard, "I can hear your heartbeat right now."

Her chest was heaving.

"But I know you suspected that I knew so you cut it off with him. You showed him a way that was safe to leave the pack, so he wouldn't become a rogue. Your plan backfired, so here we are, with his luna that is about to die."

Everest rolled her eyes at Edan, "That's not what happened. But yes we are here with his luna and she's about to die. Neither of us wants that. What do we do?"

Everest changed the subject, Avery was a sensitive topic. He was the only male she cared for besides Edan.

"We take her back to her pack, the pack doctor can do their voodoo and she'll be a healthy wolf again."

"What about us? One of has to take her there, which is not a good idea. We'll get caught."

Edan chuckled, "I'm pretty sure they think we're dead or on human land."

"I can't let you do that," her eyes shifted towards Glory who looked lifeless as ever. She wasn't going to make it through another twenty-four hours if they left her here just lying around waiting for her to get better.

"There's nothing else we can do. I'm not leaving her here," he hesitated before speaking the next words. "She's my mate."

"How would you know that?"

"I just know, and besides. By the time they figure out who I am I'm already going to be human."

"What about me?" Everest wasn't happy with Edan at the moment. The things he said about Avery got to her... even though she said things like that all the time to him. She didn't like it, it opened wounds that hadn't been properly healed. But just because she was annoyed that he figured her out didn't mean she wanted to lose him. "You're just going to leave me here? By myself?"

"You'll do what you've been wanting to do all along. Leave this moon forsaken place and hide yourself amongst the humans."

🌲
😨😨😨
Only five or six chapters left!
Eeep!
For those that don't follow me or don't know I released Everest and Avery's book. The prologue is out!
I'm going to start updating it once a week when this book is finished.

Would you guys like me to make a schedule for updating? I know some people prefer it. I just go with the flow and update whenever it feels like a week has passed.