18 - Part 7: A Queen and a Princess

Nala's P.O.V.:

:

We heard it again. Quietly, since he wasn't close to Pride Rock, but surely.

The moonlight shone inside the cave, laying a silver carpet on the floor. I was laying aswell in the darker part of the cave, with my daughter, Kiara. My head was resting on my paws and a sigh escaped my mouth.

What kind of mother am I? - I asked myself. What kind of mate am I? I'm just laying in the safety of this cave, while my son and mate are out there, risking their lives. As queen, defending these animals are just as important to me, as it is to them.

The thought was rolling in my head and I did feel a little bit bad about not helping. But I knew, I had another calling.

The lionesses in the cave woke the ones asleep, the quiet snorings, the peaceful, monoton rythms of the inhales and exhales slowly stopped, as the lionesses became conscious to listen to troubled, worried, exited explanations. They slowly started to leave the den to look over the peak, on the Pride Lands.

I watched them doing so. In minutes, they seemed ready, maybe even exited for action. Kiara came closer and cuddled up to my side, looking up to me with her sweet brown eyes. I wanted to defend her more than anything.

Kion can defend himself well. Kiara on the other hand...

She was the elder sibling, still she was a lioness, and she wasn't the leader of any group. Any Guard... She wasn't a fighting spirit, nor a huntress - altough she started having her lessons -, right now she was my little princess, and she grew bigger every week.

The thought drew a smile across my face. I blinked at Kiara, then leaned in for a nuzzle, and she returned it. Hearing her purr made me feel like I have to protect her even more.

You'll grow up to be a gorgeous, sweet lioness! - I thought, and my love for her warmed my heart up.

- Are they going to fight?- Kiara asked, as we watched the lionesses exit, each one of them smiling back at the princess, before doing so.

- Yes, Kiara - I answered. - They need to fight, if we want these Outlanders back in their home.

Kiara sighed.

- I hope dad is okay - she said. - Kion aswell.

- I'm sure they are okay - I told her with a soft voice. - They can defend themselves.

- I know...

When the last lionesses left the lair and we were left alone, I felt like I am letting them down. 

For good, though. They should be able to end this anyways. With the help of the Lion Guard. My son and my mate...

- Mom!

- Yes, princess?

- How many of them are here? - she asked.

- A lot of them - I answered. 

- But what would you guess? - she kept on asking. 

- Around fifty of them - I gave her a half-honest answer.

- Fifty? - she asked back. - That's a lot of them.

- What did I tell you?

My daughter giggled and I saw a beautiful little cub, who will grow up to be a great queen with a great king.

- One day you will rule over this land, with your handsome, wise mate as a king - I smiled at her.

If we're lucky...

- Mom! - she giggled and her ears were hanging. I really didn't want to tell her when that is going to happen...

I'll leave that to Simba. He might already have told her...

- Mom!

- Yes, Kiara?

- I don't think all the Outlanders are bad - she said. - Kovu wasn't bad. Or evil.

I would like to think that, aswell, but they are in the Outlands for a reason...

- Honey, the Outsider lions were banished from the Pride Lands, because they stayed loyal to Scar - I told her. - They don't belong here. 

- What about the other animals?

- The hyenas are plain and evil, the jackals are smart, but they are plain and evil. They don't respect the circle of life. They don't wish to live with us, the way we live, so we don't let them interrupt or ruin the peace in our land.

- I know, but how do you know, if all of them is evil?

Not all of them is evil - I wanted to say.  

- Don't think about things like this, Kiara! - I told her instead. - Now try to get some sleep!

- Okay, mom - she sighed and slowly rested down, pushing against my side. I nuzzled her once more and she continued sleeping. 

I attempted to do the same, but I soon realised, I won't be able to. My thoughts wandered off towards the fight that was going on, while we were resting in the safety of the den, that was filled with the scents of the lionesses. I also thought about Kiara, who she will become. I was laying next to her, worrying for Simba and our son, and I hoped, that the night will be over soon, I hoped, they will come back, I hoped everyone will be safe.

I looked forward to a long, tiring, dreamless night.