30. Half of a whole - Part 2

Kion's P.O.V.:

:

- Allright, try to relax! - the honeybadger advised. - Clear your mind of any thoughts!

I did so. Well, almost. The moment I closed my eyes, the picture of a certain feline started interrupting my relaxation again. The thought of her made my heart pound faster, and the thought of seeing her again made it almost jump out of my chest. I couldn't help but contain a wide smile on my face.

- Kion! - Bunga exclaimed. - Get her off of your mind for the sake of the Great Kings!

- I'm trying - I laughed. - I really am.

Bunga and Beshte just rolled their eyes.

- Well, try harder! You'll have enough time thinking about each other when the night comes anyways - my best friend teased me and I felt my face turning red. - We have more important things to worry about now, Kion. You know, stuff like how you almost got killed and everything...

- Right - I took a deep breath. - I'm ready.

- I sure hope so. Now don't think about anything or anyone, okay? We need to figure this out.

I closed my eyes once again and imagined complete darkness. I took a couple of deep breaths and when I could finally stop thinking about anything else, I informed my friends:

- Got it!

- Great! Now describe the very last thing you can remember from yesterday, would ya?

The weird thing was, that I remembered it quite well. The start of the attack - and the time I spent with my mate before the attack -, running to and saving as many animals as I could, reuniting with the Guard, planning to take on Reirei and the Outlanders with her, starting to get weaker and weaker, being ready to die. And the lionesses arriving, saving multiple herds of animals and the entirety of the Guard - except for Ono - from possible death. It was quite clear up to that point. But after that, there was a blank space. Just a jump in time to me waking up somewhere completely else, in hellish pain and with wounds all over my body. Between the two pieces, Furaha and the Guard stated, that they've seen me run away from the fight, but I wouldn't believe it. I couldn't imagine myself betraying the Pridelanders like that. Or forgetting that I've done so.

I needed a few seconds to choose what I thought was the very last scene I remembered.

- Well, I was fighting with a hyena - I started. - I fought Reirei right before that. I remember feeling very weak by then. We were just about to lose when the lionesses arrived. But when they did, it gave me strength and hope, I fought like I didn't even have limits.

- You sure did - Beshte nodded.

- And then... I don't know... You guys have said, that I ran away from the fight, but I really don't think that was the case.