26. Under the stars

Fuli's P.O.V.:

:

The stars shone brighter than ever, but I failed to adore them, as the last bits of happiness slowly dissapeared from my soul. Listening to the sounds of the night, I sat in the green grass, trying to hold on to the blind, foolish hope keeping me alive. The dreamy, heartwarming picture of him showing up on the horizon, him coming into view, and making me a whole again. Him, looking me right in the eyes with his brown ones, him flashing that spelling smile again! And then he would show me that charming smirk of his and he would probably make a flirty comment right after... The picture of us being reunited once again, and this time forever, because I would never let him go ever again. Not in this world! And so I won't. Because he had to be alive. He just HAD to come back. He has to be somewhere around here! I just need to find him!

And so I started running. The weight of the fact, that Kion was missing and was possibly dead laid on my shoulder. The thought, that he would be gone forever, that my half, would never come back made my emerald green eyes water and my throat become sore. I remembered how magical it felt to be around him. How he made me feel like. This warm, fuzzy feeling burning in my chest and my heart pounding with a crazy speed. My face painted red under my fur and my thoughts, about him and us together. I remembered what it was like before everything. When I used to have to hide my real feelings towards him, when I had to convince myself to believe, that I am not feeling what I am feeling for real. That the fire burning in me was not real. And I tried to put out that flame... But I realised, that love is never wrong. And so it never dies. 

And that dreamlike night, I finally got enough courage to tell him about my real feelings. I finally decided to ease the pain in my soul. I wanted him to see me as his lover, I wanted him to love me the way I loved him. I wanted to live with him, together. Not just as partners, but as mates. As one! And it happened. He felt the same way all that time. And then we spent one of the most wonderous nights of my life. He made me feel truly alive. My heart was filled with pure love, and I was happier than ever, like all the worries of my days have been erased, like all there was left is this night and us. And soon enough we experienced something new in our life. Something amazing and breathtaking. We showed all our pure love towards each other in a way we have never before. We belonged together. Forever. And I spent the best days of my entire being with him, ones, that I will forever be thankful for. And now we were official mates. Allowed to be together. Allowed to be happy and to fulfill each other's lives. After all that time. But... now it could all be over forever.

I desperately started to sprint across the savannah, looking in every direction, in hope of finally seeing my other half again. I endured the horrible pain shooting in my left hind leg, I charged as fast as my body let me, like I would get to him faster. Like I knew where he was. On the other side of this hillock. Over in that valley. Behind that giant rock. Hidden in the tall grass over there... I felt the wind caressing my entire body in my rush, with a cool, soft touch, making me feel a tiny bit of the joy of being a cheetah again. It almost made me feel the way I felt so many times before. I would feel happy, I would smile, maybe even laugh out loud. But not now. Not really. Because it meant so little now, I was still feeling empty. Because he was nowhere. Nowhere at all. 

So I finally stopped and sat down. And I didn't understand. I didn't understand how? Or... why? I felt betrayed, let down by the very world I was living in. How dare ANYTHING even want us to be apart? Now, that we are finally together! As an answer, I felt a cruel, ice cold breeze swish across my back. A dark, hopeless mix of emotions following right after it, planting itself within my heart. I've always been great in controlling my emotions, but what did it even matter now? Why should I resist? 

So I let it all out. My cry of sadness, held back for an entire day, finally escaped my mouth, filling the savannah with a sound full of grief. And at that moment, my heart broke into a miriad of tiny pieces. My faint hope of seeing my sweet lion prince again fully dissipated. The fuel of the fire burning in me was now gone. Once and forever. I felt my chest explode into a wave of emotions. The sadness and sorrow, the dissapointment, the hopelessness. And anger, building its way up to my mind, a sudden strike of it now took control over me.

- Why?! - I exclaimed, feeling a wrong, poisonous feeling boiling in me, but accepting it. The muscles in my legs strained as much as they possibly could and the instinct of hunting - this time in endless anger - nearly forced me to get into pouncing position. I growled at whatever wanted it to be like this, wanting it to suffer just as much as me...

And... and then I just realised. I could feel my face, no, my entire body burn in the flames of anger and stress, so I finally just relaxed my muscles. I stood there, looking down on the green grass, now with a loss of energy. The tears soaking my fur seemed to stop flowing for now. I tried to take a deep breath, but I ended up sobbing again. The mess in my broken soul was now replaced with the overwhelming feeling of innocence and the will to just be peaceful and to just love. Love him.

- Please! - I whispered into the cold savannah air. -  I can't lose him! Just let us be happy! We just want to LOVE each other! We just want to be alive... together...

My tears started flowing again, as I remembered the nickname he gave me. Sweetheart... I started questioning myself, what did I do wrong? What did I do to deserve so much pain, so much sadness and grief? I looked up at the sky, the tears in my eyes blurring my vision, as the stars shone. They were magical. They were beautiful. They were the Great Kings of the Past. Yet... they were simple. They were usual. They were meaningless at this moment. Little dots of void, a lot smaller, than the one in my soul. I was feeling empty, like half of me was simply gone. From one day to another. I was stuck with my emotions, yet I couldn't feel happiness. It was so far away. Impossible for me to get. Because I was just a half now.  

So I stood up with a happiness-drained soul and slowly started walking back to the Tree of Life.

Hello, guys! I have to say sorry for bringing you all a shorter chapter after this wait, but the ones to come will probably come faster, just because I know almost exactly what I want in mainly all of them. Kion and Fuli's reunion will have to wait for a bit though. But it will be worth it, I guarantee you. Anyways, thanks for being patient, and thank you all for the support. I really hope you loved this chapter, because it really came from my heart. I love you, guys! Remember: Kion and Fuli forever!