33. A time to let go

Nala's P.O.V.:

It has been a while since Simba had to call the leaders together like this

Then the situation with the zebras and the antelopes was the reason. But we knew it would happen again; it wasn't the first time the Pridelanders needed immediate discussion because of the two herds. Thurston's zebras and Livu's antelopes barely ever coped well in the dry season. They shared the same waterholes with a few poor exceptions, but even those little streams, that could give them some separation, dried up completely sooner or later. And the two leaders happened not to have the best of histories together, so it wasn't all too pleasant when they shared the same water. Thank the Great Kings, things went a little smoother this dry season, and the two herds were currently in an agreement.

Hopefully, they won't brake it anytime soon.

And now, in the wet season, we had to call the leaders together again, for a much more devastating problem. Thurston and Livu were here, along with Basi, Beshte's father, Ma Tembo, the wise elephant leader, Bupu, the sable antelope leader, Busa and Imara... Even the blunt rhinoceros leader, Mbeya was present. Vuruga Vuruga and Makuu on the other hand couldn't attend the meeting. The buffalo leader got injured quite badly during the fight, and was now being healed by the Royal Mjuzi. And Makuu... just didn't show up.

A good number of the herds have lost animals of importance. I could see tears shining in the corner of their leader's eyes, tears of overwhelming sadness. Truth be told, I saw ones who just wanted this to be over with too, those who did not have as much empathy as one other.

The Sun shone down on the Pridelander faces, which were either filled with signs of grief, or filled with signs of combat and stress. Scarred faces, sorrowful faces. Loss-shaken hearts and those full of worry. Yes, the losses were those of a small quantity - especially compared to the Outlanders' casualties -, but some of the animals who did die were important to the leaders in front of us.

Busa lost two of his zebras, one of which being his own sister. He had to watch her get caught and dragged down to the ground by the Outlanders. By then, she was already bleeding from seriously deep cuts and gashes. She didn't make it... They found another zebra, Busa's friend, dead a couple of minutes after the break of dawn, with holes on the neck. They've already said their goodbyes to both of them...

- Things never go wrong - the croaky voice of the elderly leader twisted the dagger in our hearts once again. We knew him just enough to see, that he was truly broken. - This was not supposed to happen. Not like this, not to them...

Imara lost his son over the course of the night. As it turned out, some of the Outlanders entered at Gnu Plain, right where the wildebeest herd was peacefully sleeping. They, of course, stumbled upon the herd, and attacked them. Hazina, Imara's son got caught eventually, but the leader didn't give up on him. He rampaged through the group of hyenas, damaging anyone he reached. The Outlanders decided to leave the animals, and continued towards their original goal, but little Hazina got seriously injured. They took him to the Tree of Life, where Rafiki did his best, but the poor gnu didn't live to see another day.