25. Night's uncertainties

Kion's P.O.V.:

:

The feeling of being alive returned. The feeling of myself, the acknowledgment, that I am awake and I am existing came back. I was aware, that I was alive. But I could feel my heart beat so deep within my chest, like it was hid under multiple layers of cover, pushed deep in me. I slowly opened my tear-filled eyes. I was laying on my side, in the grass. It was nighttime, I could sense the cold air, but it took me a few seconds to recognise the quiet, ear-tickling sounds around me. The music of crickets.

And right after that, I exclaimed, starting to feel all the pain. My cheeks began to burn, along with my chin and my chest, and I felt like my right side was about to explode, because of the constant, sharp stabs I could feel. And the smaller wounds, feeling like little bites... Looking down, I noticed all the dry blood around the wound on my chest, leaving a trail down my stomach, painting my thin fur red. There was a lot on the green grass around me too. I could feel the blood dried on my face and neck too, like it wanted to pull my skin together, under my golden-brown fur.

What the hell happened? - I asked myself, scared to even think about how I must've looked like. I clearly remembered the fight. Yes, there is an attack. It is the Outlanders. I remembered saving the zebras and reuniting with the Guard. With Fuli...

I remembered now! Thinking about her made my chest burn with a familiar, warm, exciting flame, this time from the inside. How could I ever forget her? Her, that wonderous animal! The sweetest creature I have ever met! The meaning of my being! My half!... And she is in danger!

I gotta find her now, I gotta help! How did I even get here?

The lionesses came to help, that's the last thing I remembered. But I couldn't know if my mate is safe for sure. I gotta defend Fuli! I have to get to her! I strained my muscles the most I could and tried to stand up, but it wasn't enough, so I fell back on my side with a light thud. It was only now, that I realised how weak and tired I was. I felt like everything around me didn't even happen to me. It was all so faint...

I tried to hold my crying back into a growl, but I failed after a few seconds. More tears escaped my eyes as the pain didn't ease. The wounds kept on burning, giving me the worst pain I have experienced. I tried my best to bare it, but at the same time, I felt helpless and confused. The tears kept rolling down my face, cleaning my fur a little, but making the wounds burn even more. I have to go! I have to find her! I want it all to be okay again!

I tried scanning my surroundings in hope of finding out where I was. As I was laying in the short, green grass, I noticed a lonely acacia tree in the distance. A couple more a bit to the east. A bigger rock. Not too familiar. I was pretty close to the Outlands, I could see the rocky wasteland pretty clearly from here. I rolled to my other side, hissing, as I felt the pain shoot in my side again. I instantly noticed the place on the edge of my eyesight. Or at least the tallest trees. Burnt down... Urembo Meadows! I now remembered the fact that it was set on fire too. I started gaining my memories back piece by piece, some of them came back by theirselves. I also spotted the giant rock in the distance. How could I not? Pride Rock!