18 - Part 10: A new dawn

Simba's P.O.V:

V:

The sun started climbing its way up the sky, painting on the horizon a wonderful mix of the colors orange and pink, and the elephants came back from another turn with their trunks full of water. The smoke and the heat started to get unbearable, but I continued digging. The ditch grew bigger and bigger around the 'little' patch of fire I choose, still there was a lot to go, and I had to hurry up if I wanted to finish it before it spread too far. The elephants got more tired every minute, still they brang the water, then left, and then brang some more again.

The fire that I was trying to cut the way of was originally just a separated acacia tree in flames, but by now, the grass around it was lit on fire aswell, eating up more and more of the land.

How did they manage to do this? How did they set the meadow on fire and how did they go unnoticed? The animals would've seen...

If Urembo Meadows was further away from the border of the Pridelands, and if they came at daytime...

My front legs were burning from the monoton movements, my hind legs were covered with dirt, also getting more and more numb.

No time to think about this now. I gotta keep digging!

I was now halfway done with the work, and the elephants came again, putting out the fire on the last area I dag around, a bit further from where I was standing. We had to put out the patches of fire that weren't spread too far already first. Two groups of elephants worked on keeping the biggest, most spread fire under control, the remaining ones put the ones separated out. We could only hope, that all together they would be able to put out the main threat by smaller parts. Thing was, the elephants got more tired every minute, the fire only stopped spreading for a small amount of time, and we didn't have enough elephants to surround it all the way around. We couldn't stop the destruction entirely yet, but we tried our best to decrease the amount of it.

The ditch was done soon, it has taken away a huge amount of energy from my body.

Okay, move on! - I ordered myself, as I was panting for air, and even though I felt like I can't stand on my legs properly, I moved on, searching for the next lonely fire. That's when I noticed, there aren't any left.

That was it! Only one big bad guy to go...

I turned to face the flame-sea and I saw it growing. Slowly but surely. I soon had to get a bit further away to fill my lungs with fresh air and wait for the elephants to come. And leave. And come. And repeat. I wanted to help, but I couldn't with such a big fire like this one was.

I can't just dig a ditch around it...

When the next elephant group - including Ma Tembo - arrived, putting the flames on the half-burnt tree trunk to sleep, I approached again. They had to stop to have a little break. As they were panting, what I saw on their faces were fear and hopelessness. I knew, I now had to go, help the animals and leave them on their own, and it wouldn't have been right to just do so.

- I know it's hard - I started. - But if you don't stop this fire, it may even burn the whole meadow down.

- We would never let that happen - Ma Tembo assured me.

Yeah, maybe that's why it is so dangerous...

- This is our land, animals. Our meadows, our trees, our flowers, our grass. Noone elses. Our homes, this fire destroyed. Well, home of Pridelanders, but that's just the same. We have to defend it at any costs!

- And we will - Ma Tembo stated. - Now get up elephants and bring some more water!

Who said they need my help?

The sight of the lionesses destroying the Outlanders filled me with pride. The ones close to Pride Rock tried to run, but most of them were caught and didn't get to return to the Outlands. Some of the others let all the animals get away, foolishly joining together to face the lionesses. They obviously outnumbered them, but the lionesses knew, they were able to deal with all of them together. The first hyenas and jackals to attack got killed or injured, some others just ran.

They don't know what sacrificing your life for a greater cause is. Not like that was a greater cause...

The Outlanders's final decision to leave was made, when I arrived on the scene, roaring my power into the air. They teamed up to groups and all started running towards the closest border of the Pride Lands. The fight was officially over...

I saw some corpses of zebras and an antelope nearby, slightly feeling mad.

They had taken their place in the Circle of Life - this is what kept me calm.

But what I did not see was the Lion Guard. I didn't see Kion, I didn't see Nala, I didn't see Kiara either. The ones the most important to me. I had to see if they were okay at this holy moment, so I started making my way towards Pride Rock, the lionesses soon following me back with small wounds and tired muscles. Overall, completely fine. This wasn't that much of a challenge for them. They would soon clean the wounds with caring licks and purrs, but I had to see my family after all this mess.

I climbed Pride Rock faster than ever and my first stop was the Lion Guard's lair. I quickly entered the cave, but noone was there. A worry sank my heart.

I didn't see them out there. Where are they?

I hopped up the ledges and rocks to the Royal Den. Even though the sun climbed higher and higher by the time, it was a bit dark in certain places of the cave. Still, in a shadow in the back of the lair I saw my mate, cuddling up with my beautiful daughter. It was one of the best things I've ever seen.

I was just about to go and greet them, but then I heard the familiar voice of a honeybadger. I heard Bunga talking in a worried tone and I catched the word Kion, so I got a really bad feeling. I leaped down to the Lion Guard's lair, to find myself before Bunga and Beshte. Noone else.

I wanted to ask the question on the tip of my tongue, but Beshte already answered:

- Fuli is at Rafiki's tree and Ono is still out there somewhere - he said. - And...

Bunga finished the sentence.

- Kion is missing, your majesty.