18 - Part 8: Urembo Meadows

Simba's P.O.V.:

- In Urembo Meadows? - Ma Tembo, the leader of the elephant herd asked again

- In Urembo Meadows? - Ma Tembo, the leader of the elephant herd asked again. The elephants seemed calm, they haven't even noticed what was going on far from their home.

How could've they?

- Yes, and it's growing bigger every minute - I answered. The elephants listened to the conversation, their faces mirrored a bit of confusion.

'Fire?' - I heard one of them whisper. 'Why do they need us?' - another one asked.

- Your majesty, we are always there to help, especially when it's about a fire - Ma Tembo started - but how did a fire start in the middle of the night?

- The fire isn't our only problem - I told them. - There are lots of Outlanders hunting down the herds near Hakuna Matata Falls. They attacked now, at night, suprising us. Hyenas and jackals, united. One of them must've started the fire, but I'm not exactly sure how. If we don't stop them in time, a lot of animals are gonna die.

The elephants didn't hide that they were surprised.

- Why are they united? - I heard a familiar voice.

- Hyenas and jackals? - another elephant asked.

- How did they start the fire?

Ma Tembo shook her head.

- But not the lions?

- No - I shook my head aswell. - Though, I don't think they would ever help them after what happened to Scar.

- Right - Ma Tembo nodded. - Well, it is time to put a fire out, so let's go - she then ordered, and we began making our way back to Urembo Meadows.

It took some time to get there for sure, and when we first saw the chaos in the distance, Ma Tembo exclaimed.

- What the hell is going on there?!

- Nothing good - I answered. - We better hurry up. The faster the fire is out, the faster we can help.

- Let's!

We passed a group of impalas on our way. They looked at the mess from far away, wondering what is actually going on. I didn't have time to explain. I was afraid, we would run out of time, the elephants weren't moving too quickly anyways.

- Come on! - I urged them.

Every second matters!

They sped up, and I hoped it will be enough. I soon started to think about what we have to do.

It's either Lake Matope or Mapema Rock... 

- Elephants! - I looked back. - There really aren't any watersources around here, but there are two locations, that are reasonably close to Urembo Meadows. These are...

- Lake Matope and Mkondo River - Ma Tembo finished.

- Right. I'm not too sure which one is closer, so we're just gonna have to choose one.

I waited for suggestions, but I didn't get any. I had to choose alone... we got closer every second and our time was running out.

Which one is closer? I really should know...

I kept on going, the elephants right behind me, lead by their leader, Ma Tembo, and we passed a few more groups of clueless animals. More antelopes, a herd of buffalos, and a lonely cheetah, that looked after us.

- We are going to get water from Mkondo River - I finally decided. - You're gonna have to take up as much as you can, as quickly as you can. It still isn't next to Urembo Meadows, but it is the closest, I believe. If we fail to bring water from there, we are doomed.

Soon enough, we saw the sea of flames in the distance, a wide, tall sea...

This is way bigger than what I remember! 

- This way - I led them in another direction, straight towards the river. The elephants seemed to get tired, but I wasn't surprised. They don't travel this much, this fast every day. Even I started to get tired...

Seeing Mapema Rock was a sign, that the river was really close, and we got there in a minute. I looked at the heavily breathing elephants and hoped they would last longer.

- Allright - I said, as I sat down next to the river. - Time to take a little break. A really small brake. Get ready for a lot of fire and smoke. 

Seeing the exhausted elephants, I lost a bit of hope.

No, no, you will last longer. If not for me, then for your land.

I continued.

- We either hold on as much as we can, or let the fire cause even more destruction. 

- We will hold on - a male elephant with a deep voice assured me. - As long as we can.

- We all will - Ma Tembo said.

I hope so.

- Thank you! - I nodded. - When I saw the fire, and looked at the destruction it's already caused, when I saw what it has taken away, I thought: this is a land to die for. My land. Our land, elephants.

I looked at them with pride and confidence burning in my heart, and I had the need to defend something really important.

- If we don't give the most we can to defend it, we can't call it our land - I told them all.

I will put every inch of those flames out, then find my son, and deal with every one of those Outlanders.

- Two minutes and we are starting. We've got a fire to put out, and our time is limited.

Very limited... You better be okay, Kion!