18 - Part 9: The Circle of Life

Kion's P.O.V.:

The wound wasn't too big, but it hurt

The wound wasn't too big, but it hurt. Blood poured down my chin, but I didn't have time to think about a little scratch.

- Kion! - Fuli came closer and nuzzled my cheek. Her warm, caring gesture made me purr. - Are you okay?

- I'm fine, sweetheart - I nuzzled back. - It's just a scratch.

It took my mate a minute to quit comforting me. She sat down in front of me and stared into my eyes with a worried look, giving me a bit of space. Bunga and Beshte came closer aswell, still thinking about the things that were told.

- Kion... - Beshte started, but he didn't find the words.

- I know what you think guys - I looked at them. - But it's for the circle of life. They would never be able to respect it, therefore they will never be welcome here.

- I know - Beshte nodded. - You are right. I mean, just look around. It's just... I feel a bit guilty. I guess we never did live in the Outlands.

- We didn't ruin anything in the Outlands either - I pointed out. - And do you really think they feel quilty now? They are overhunting on purpose without any bad feelings. We've all seen, there are good Outlanders, like Jasiri. They are the ones that aren't here now. 

There was a small silence.

- But we don't have time to discuss this now - I stood up. - The animals still need our help.

Then, I heard someone calling from above.

- Guys! - Ono shouted, and shot downwards. He has come back, and that means we've got reinforcement on the way. 

Can't really call it that now.

- Guys, I noticed Reirei with Goigoi and her jackals. A hyena joined them and told them something, and now they are coming this way. 

- How far was this? - I asked.

- Near the baobab tree to the west. The same tree we used to hang out at.

That's not too far... 

- How many of them are coming?

- At least ten of them, including the hyena.

They want to take us out. If we stop to face them, more animals could get hunted down. If we don't, they might just give up on us and continue hunting.

- What do you think guys? - I looked back. - Should we fight them or should we continue helping the herds?

Beshte talked first.

- If we take them out, we're gonna have to face a lot less of them.

That's true...

- Yes, but more animals could potentially die because of the time and energy it would take - Fuli said.