Chapter Nine - The Guilt

Song of the chapter - Unsteady by X Ambassadors (Deep version)

Blair

Many thoughts replayed in my head. Why did I actually leave Alexandria? I have no food and no water. But on the other hand, I couldn't stand lying through my teeth for another day. Lying about my parents and where I actually came from. I liked to be by myself though. I like to be independent now. 

I missed everyone in Alexandria though. I miss Daryl, Maggie, Rick, Michonne, Glenn... Carl. I miss Carl more than I ever thought I would. Right now. I don't know where I'm headed but what I do know is that I'm not going anywhere near Negan. My dad. I wanted to see what was out here. I needed to find something good, for myself. 

I trailed the woods after sprinting from Alexandria and the people who invaded. I couldn't get caught up with them. I'd instantly be killed. The woods were surprisingly quiet except for a few other walkers roaming them. It was starting to get dark earlier now and I didn't have a flashlight, so I need to find somewhere quick now. 

I avoided trying to make contact with the walkers by walking around them. Thankfully they didn't see me. I could of killed them but I can't waste my energy on something I could've avoided. As I was still walking, something in the distance caught my eyes. It was rope around a little camp with one tent. I slowly walked up to it and saw no one about. 

I examined the perimeter for anyone at all but it looked abandoned. I don't understand why someone would leave a tent here. Or maybe the person or people are just away for a bit. I noticed empty cans on the ground around the ashy fire that wasn't lit. As I was bent down, examining the tent, I felt a cold metal something, against the back of my head.

I stayed still and did not move an inch. "Don't move. Who are you?" It was a woman with a southern accent. She sounded healthy, considering it's the end of the world and all. "My name is Blair Jones." I answered the woman and she pushed the gun further on my head. "Stand up and turn around." She said suspiciously.

I slowly stood up on my two feet, steadily. "SLOWLY... Turn." The woman spoke and I did as she said. I slowly turned and a woman with blonde hair stood before me. She had dark brown eyes and wore a winter jacket with jeans. I recognized her but I had no clue where from. No idea whatsoever. 

"You don't look harmful. Are you?" She asked me and I shook my head. "No, I'm not." I answered honestly and she nodded. "You're young, right?" She asked me and bent underneath the rope with cans attached to it. "This is yours?" I asked her, ignoring her question towards me. She sighed and threw a couple more sticks on the not lit fire. "Yeah, it is." "It's something else." I admitted and looked around. 

"You have somewhere to stay, you can stay here if you like. I mean, It's dark. Also if you aren't gonna kill me in my sleep." She smiled at me and I nodded. "Yeah, I'm just surviving. I don't think I'll be killing anyone anytime soon." I admitted and bent underneath the rope too. She lit some paper on fire and threw it on top of the sticks and it lit up like a Christmas tree. 

"Have a seat." She said and gestured to the space on the other side of the fire. I was slow and hesitant to have a sit down because anything could happen at this point. I trusted this woman as quick as possible and I shouldn't of. "Here." She said and threw over a packet of beef jerky. "You sure?" I asked her and she smiled. 

"Of course. I was on a food run earlier anyway and managed to pick up a few things." She said and I popped open the jerky, letting the taste fall onto my tongue. "How old are you, Blair?" She asked me and I swallowed the food in my mouth. I laid the jerky on the ground with the packet wrapped up and looked over to her.