Chapter thirty-one - Don't drink

Song of the chapter - Zack Berkman

Blair

"Are you going with them?" Carl asked me as he stood in front of me, keeping his arms crossed. I'm not sure if I wanna go meet this king. If he's exactly like Gregory I 100%, do not wanna go. But I can't help but think, what else can he offer for us? He can offer us food, help and medicine. Medicine me and Maggie could do with right now, and Carl too.

"I don't know yet, are you?" I asked him back and he looked away for a second, staring at the children playing in the sand pit, while me and him stood on the porch. It's like Carl didn't wanna answer me, maybe he didn't know himself yet. I mean it is tomorrow we're all going so I guess we all have time to decide.

"Well?" I asked him, trying to catch his eye with mine. Finally, he looked back over at me. "I should but... I can't let what happened to you here, happen again. Understand?" He asked me and laid a hand on my forearm. "What if I go with you? We both go?" I suggested and I seen him stare me up and down. He needed to take into terms that I'm not a twelve year old kid but I also need to understand he's only looking after me and our child.

"And what if you bump into Negan? What should I do? Just stay here and let that stuff happen to you at the ambush happen again. I can't let myself do that, can you?" He snapped at me and I took a minute to gather myself, trying not to break down or argue back. I couldn't though. "Should I let that happen to myself? Would Rick let that happen again? Maybe he'll just sit there like last time right?" I argued back with him and sighed.

Carl stared at me with one shocked eye, probably not knowing what to say after what I had just said about his dad. Carl wouldn't understand what it was like to have a family member sit there and not do anything. But Rick has done so much for us anyway, I couldn't hold this against him. He already feels bad about everything and the tension is still in the air with us two.

"I'm done." I snapped at him and turned around to walk away. I knew I couldn't get annoyed and upset anymore about what happened at the ambush but no matter what, whenever someone spoke about it, I felt so alone and sad. As I walked away from Carl, I didn't even hear him call me back to him or anything, I guess he just stood there. I felt tears escape out of my eyes and run down my cheeks.

I felt a hand on my arm as I was still walking and I looked behind me to see Maggie. "Blair. Come on, let's go talk please." Was all Maggie said and I nodded as I wiped my tears. Maggie obviously seen me crying but I guess that's what she's gonna talk to me about. I followed Maggie inside and seen that Carl was gone from the place where we were talking. Maybe he went to find Judith or Rick.

Maggie took a seat at the dining table and I pulled out the chair to sit beside her. "Are you okay?" I heard her whisper to me in a sad matter. I stared down at my hands and didn't even look up at her. I couldn't because I knew Maggie would immediately take me into her arms and tell me everything is going to be okay, maybe even though that's what I need, it's not what I want.

"Me and Carl... We just had an argument that's all." I said and finally looked up at her. I seen that her eyebrows were knitted and her eyes were so sad. "That's all?" She asked me, knowing something else was wrong With me. "I don't know if I can do this Maggie." I said and squeezed my eyes together. Maybe this was my breaking point, we all have one and this is mine. Maggie had one when she seen the love of her life get slaughtered in front of her.

"Do what?" She asked with her voice so gentle and quiet. "Blair, if this is about what happened at that ambush, this is your story, no one else's. Your story deserves to be heard and I know you probably think about this every single day but the truth will come out about him, about Negan." Maggie said and I felt the tears stream straight out of my eyes.