Chapter Twenty-four - Sanctuary

Song of the chapter - Promise not to fall by Human touch

Blair

"You know what you did was wrong Blair. You shouldn't be given a bed here or anywhere else." Enid spat at me as we stood beside the crops in the hilltop. I crossed my arms and stared at her. I knew what I had done will haunt me forever but Enid didn't need to remind me every two minutes. "Look, I know what I did was wrong. You have no right and reminding me what I had done to everyone." I said to her and I seen Jesus walk down the hill, behind Enid.

"Tell Maggie I'm sorry." I said and she stayed staring at me before I turned around and was about to start walking. "I know your pregnant, Blair!" She called out and I stopped in my tracks. "And I know it was Carl. Not your dad or Simon." I heard her voice and my fists immediately clenched. My hands got sweaty and my teeth were grinding together.

I turned around and walked up to her. But, just before my fist could connect with her face, Jesus grabbed it. I seen he stumbled due to the strength I was gonna hit her at. "Let's go. And you... Stay out of it." He said, pointing to Enid as she turned around on her heel towards where Maggie was. Maggie didn't know I was going on this suicide mission with Jesus and I didn't want her to know. I knew she would immediately kill me.

"Go." He said and let go of my fist gently. We started to walk down to the gates. "What's the deal between you two anyway?" He asked me as he rolled the sleeve on his jacket. I sighed to myself as Jesus continued to walk beside me and spoke up. "It's nothing really. Her ex-boyfriend tried to kill me one time and she done the same. I understand why she hates me but I can't do anything about that." I said, looking up at him.

The gates were still open and the people were still loading one of the trucks with multiple things. I didn't really know what. Jesus grabbed my wrist and pulled me behind the wall. "Their leaving. We be quick and jump in the back." He said and let go of my wrist. I nodded to his words and followed him sneakingly to the truck as it started to move.

I sprinted up to it with him and he was much faster than me so he got into it first. He knelt in it as I continued to catch up but I felt my legs give in. He pulled his hand out for me and I reached out for it. Finally, I was in the back of the truck and Jesus nodded at me. "Thanks." I sighed and he nodded. "No problem." He said and reached over to his bag to get a bottle of water.

He let the water pour into his mouth and he passed it over to me. "Thank you." I panted slightly and raised the bottle to my lips, letting the water stream down my dry throat. "You know, for a pregnant woman. You do run fast." He said and I chuckled slightly. "I guess so." I said and handed him the half empty bottle of water.

"A what?" I heard coming from the back of the truck and our eyes immediately shifted to the boy with the blue eye and sheriffs hat. My mouth widened as he stared at me, dumbfounded. "Carl..." I whispered to myself and I stood up on my two feet, slowly walking over to him. He stood up and stared at me. As I reached him, I didn't take two minutes to wrap my arms around his torso.

"Blair... Wh-" "-Don't... Please." I cut him off and he tightened his arms around my shoulders. I pulled away and stared at him. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I only knew when Negan found us. It was a bad time an-" "-Blair. Are you okay?" He asked me and I stared at him. The question was... Was I okay? I thought so back at Negan's but I'm not, I know that now. "No. I'm sorry." "You shouldn't be sorry. Okay?" He said, laying his hands on my cheeks. I nodded and he looked over to Jesus.