Chapter 40

Ally's POV:

I knock a few times before he finally answers the door. And once he sees me he looks more surprised than ever.

"Ally."He breathes out.

"Hey Austin."I give a little wave.

"W-what are you doing here?"He stutters, his body still behind the door.

"I need to talk to you."I say, confused by the way he was acting.

"Talk? About what?"He questions.

"What's been going on. Are you going to invite me in or?"

"Now is actually not a good time, so if you could just.."He starts to slowly close the door.

"Austin no!"I stop the door with my foot. "You've been avoiding me for the longest and I want to know why. Actually I don't even care if you ignore me but Emily misses you. You can't promise her that you'll come see her then blow her off! She's not one of your little girlfriend's."

"I don't want to talk about this right now."

"You know what."I say throwing my hands dramatically in the air. "I don't even care anymore, goodbye Austin." And with that I left.

..

"As much I want to, I already know we're not going to be able to."My mom says as I walk into the room.

"Be able to what?"I ask, sitting on the couch across from my parents.

"Ally, honey we're not going to be able to adopt Alex."My dad informs me.

I lean forward in my seat. "What do you mean?"

"We've called into sevices, trying to find a way to adopt her."My mom then continues from what my dad was saying. "But they said that her mother's boyfriend has custody over her."

"What?!" I stand up and start pacing around. "How?"

"Her mom eloped with him so he has partial custody while her mom's in Rehab."

"And there's nothing you can do?"I question, running a hand through my hair.

"I'm sorry but we can't, she's not even supposed to be with us right now. We have to send her back."My father's face falls at his own words.

"But she can't go back. She won't be able to do it."I wipe away a tear that I didn't even know had fallen.

"It's not our choice, honey."

"And even if she goes back it's only for about 2 more months, when she's 18 she'll be free."He tries to look on the bright side of things but there is no bright side to this.

"She has to go back tomorrow, it can be after the competition though."My mom offers.

"So this is it?"I turn my head to see Alex standing in the door frame. "I have to go back to that hell hole?"Her face evident of tears.

"I'm so sorry sweetie."My mom sniffles.

"It's okay, at least you tried."Her voice cracks. At least she tried.