Learn To Be Lonely

Ron's beatings got more and more out of hand. Hermione had to start using glamour spells and makeup to cover her red spots and bruises. The more Ron beat Hermione, the more Hermione started to visit Myrtle. Right now, Myrtle was practically Hermione's only friend other than Pansy. Hermione started subtly avoiding Ron. And since Harry was always with Ron, Hermione never saw either of them very often. 

"Hermione!" Harry yelled as Hermione was making her way to her next class. Hermione spun around, praying that Ron wasn't with him. Luckily, he had come alone. 

"Hermione," he said again as he caught up to her. Hermione put on a fake smile.

"What's wrong? It's like you've been avoiding me," he said sadly.

'It's not you I've been avoiding,' Hermione thought to herself. 

"Uh. Earth to Hermione?" Harry waved a hand in front of Hermione's face. Hermione shook herself out of her reverie. 

"Oh, yes. Harry. Sorry, I guess I was lost in thought. But, no, I have not been avoiding you at all!" Hermione let out a forced laugh. "Why would you think that?" Harry shrugged.

"You're right. It was a stupid question," Harry muttered. "It's just that you've been so distant and I barely see you at all anymore. You're always with Ron somewhere during lunchtime and when you actually are there, you're talking with Pansy. And whenever Ron and I come down the hallway, I always try and get your attention, but you always end up turning a corner and disappearing. It was a stupid question, though. Forget I ever asked," Harry murmured while rubbing the back of his neck nervously. Hermione sighed. She had never thought about how this would affect Harry. 

"I'm so sorry, Harry. I never knew you felt that way." Harry shrugged again.

"Yeah. I didn't mean to make you feel guilty, though." Hermione shook her head. 

"Don't worry. You didn't," Hermione lied. "But I know how we can get together!" she exclaimed suddenly. 

"Let's go to Hogsmeade together this weekend!" Ron was busy that weekend and Hermione had the chance to spend time with Harry without Ron. She smiled inwardly. 

Harry's face lit up with excitement, but it almost immediately fell. 

"But Ron's busy this weekend."

"I know." Hermione thought to herself.

"Oh no! But this weekend is my only weekend that's free this month. Do you think we could go without Ron? I mean I already spend so much time with him and I'm sure he wouldn't care that much. You two hang out without me, and Ron and I hang out without you. Why should it be any different with you and me?" Hermione tried to convince Harry. 

Harry hesitated, then smiled. "Your right. It's been a while since you and I've hung out and you and Ron hang out all the time. Anyways, he probably won't even care." Hermione forced a smile. 

"Oh, you don't even know," Hermione muttered. 

~Lunch~ 

Hermione had told Harry that they would tell Ron at lunch. Hermione thought that if Ron was in public, he wouldn't freak out as much. Hopefully. Hermione and Pansy walked into the loud Great Hall. Hermione was enveloped by the delicious smell of tempting food. 

"I'm starving," Pansy murmured as she glided towards the Eighth year table. 

"Hermione!" Harry called Hermione over to sit next to him. Hermione led Pansy to the seats. 

"Hermione," Harry repeated. "Hi." Hermione smiled warmly and forced a smile towards Ron, too. 

"Hello, Ron!" she said in a painfully cheery tone. "Did Harry tell you what we're doing this weekend?" Hermione noticed the sweat that was beginning to form on her forehead. Ron tilted his head. 

"What?" Ron inquired. Hermione frowned. It was painful to see how he acted as if he didn't beat her to a bloody pulp every month. 

"So you know how Hogsmeade is opened to the Eighth Years every weekend?" Hermione asked, as if she didn't already know the answer. 

"Yes. So what?" Ron seemed to be getting annoyed. 

"Wow," Hermione thought. "He really gets annoyed easily. I've only asked him one question." 

"Well, Harry and I were planning on going." Ron's eyes darkened. 

"Just you two?" Ron asked, trying to hide the anger in his voice. 

"Well, I mean, if you want to come-" Harry began. 

"No. I can't. You know this Harry. I'm busy," Ron cut him off sharply. 

Harry tried to act innocent. "Oh no! I totally forgot. Sorry, Ron. Maybe next time." Hermione smiled. At least Harry was still going. 

"No. Totally fine," Ron seethed through his teeth. "And Hermione." He leaned up next to her ear. "Meet me during classes after you're done eating." Hermione frowned. 

"But-" 

"Ah, Ah, Ah," Ron said quietly. "No buts, no cuts, no coconuts." Hermione frowned. "Isn't that what you muggles always say?" He asked in a sickly sweet tone. 

"Actually, it goes no cuts-" Ron cut her off. 

"I don't care about your stupid muggle phrases," Ron growled, suddenly angry. "Just agree." 

"I don't agree, Ronald. I need to go to class," Hermione demanded, trying to steady her voice. 

"Hermione," Ron said threateningly. 

"Ron. I will meet you later tonight in the common room. There, we will discuss a time that works for the both of us." Hermione pulled away from the red-headed boy. "See you tonight, Ron." Hermione hustled out of the room before Ron could get another word in. Pansy quickly followed her, but not before slamming her fork down, cursing, and stuffing the remaining food in her mouth.

"Hermione," Pansy called after the retreating girl. Hermione turned. 

"Is he following me?" Hermione asked worriedly. 

"Who? Ron?" Pansy asked. Hermione shook her head vigorously. 

"No. Why would he follow us?" 

"He's going to be mad," Hermione muttered to herself, ignoring Pansy. 

"Uh, earth to Hermione?" Pansy waved a hand in front of Hermione's face. 

"Oh! Um, sorry," Hermione muttered apologetically. 

"Why are you worried about Ron? All you did was tell him you'd meet later." Hermione tried to think of a reasonable response. 

"I- um..." Hermione stuttered. "I didn't- um- I didn't give him a- " Hermione paused to gather herself. "a chance to- to answer. I always tell him not to do that, but I did it to him," Hermione kept stuttering. Pansy was silent for a minute, then suddenly, like a volcano bursts into flames, Pansy burst into laughing. 

"That's why you're worried? Because you're a hypocrite?" Pansy burst into another fit of laughter. Hermione reddened. 

"Well, yeah. And because-" Hermione was cut off by Pansy laughing again. 

"You're such a git, Hermione." Hermione reddened even more. "Well, I've got to get to class. See you later!" With that, Pansy scurried down another corridor. 

"If only she knew," Hermione muttered to herself. Hermione looked around. Nobody was in the hallway yet, for she had left lunch really quite early. Usually, she liked to walk alone. It gave her time to gather her thoughts back up and calm herself. However, she felt as if she was being watched. She kept glancing behind herself. She fell into a sense of panic. Just as she started to walk faster, a pair of hands pulled her into an empty classroom.

Author's Note

All I have to say is that I know I posted late, Sorry for the short chapter, and Don't attack me for either thing in the comments. Kiss Kiss!