Breathing

"He fucking what?" Hermione and Pansy were startled as the loud, venom-filled voice shot through the room. Their heads both shot over towards the doorway. Draco Malfoy stood there, his fists clenched, his teeth bared, and his eyes filled with murder. 

"Draco?" Hermione stiffened. Why did he have to hear that. She wasn't ready for him to know.

"Malfoy?" Pansy stood. "What are you doing here?" Draco ignored her question and quickly strode over to Hermione. 

"What the fuck did you say, Granger?" Draco yelled. Hermione flinched back and looked over to Pansy for help. 

"Malfoy, calm down!" Pansy exclaimed and roughly pulled him back away from Hermione. 

"Calm down? How the fuck am I supposed to calm down?" Draco retorted angrily. Pansy harshly pushed him away from Hermione. 

"Listen, Malfoy. I don't give a flying fuck about how angry you are because chances are that I'm just as angry. But right now our top priority is Hermione, and I am not going to let you stress her out more than she already is." Pansy stood in between them, as if she were shielding Hermione. Draco stood stiff for a moment before backing down. He sighed. 

"You're right. I'm sorry, Granger." Hermione nodded slightly. "I can barely express how much I want to kill that prick right now, but Parkinson is right." Hermione was frozen. Did he feel the same way as Pansy? Or did he hate her just like she knew he would. The world stilled around her as her thoughts raced once again. She was being irrational and she knew it. But she couldn't stop. She had been through this situation once already, and yet her mind kept throwing doubts at her. Did he hate her? Did he blame her? Was he going to abandon her? Why would he stay friends with her? Did he even think of her as a friend in the first place? 

Hermione's finger nails dug into her palms as she tried to make the voices stop. Why couldn't she stop? Was something wrong with her? 

"-mione! Hermione, damn it!" Hermione's head shot up to find Pansy and Draco looked at her worriedly. "What's wrong, Hermione?" Pansy asked her. Hermione opened her mouth to speak, but she couldn't. God, this was frustrating. Why couldn't she just say what was wrong? And why did she have these doubts in the first place?

"I- I can't- I didn't want-" Hermione dug her fingers in her hair as she tried to speak. "I can't do this!" she yelled. Everything around Hermione started spinning. Her breath and heart started to race. Distantly, she felt tears fall down her face, and yet she did nothing to try and stop them or wipe them. Her heart beat painfully in her chest and she dug her fingers harder into her hair. 

"What's wrong, Hermione? What's going on?" Hermione couldn't seem to hear Pansy. She gently grabbed her shoulders which only made it worse. 

"Damn it, Pansy, she's having a panic attack," Draco stated. "Hermione? Can you hear me, Hermione?" Hermione's breathing slowed slightly. Draco let a little bit of tension leave his body. He tried to make it look like he knew what he was doing, but he had never dealt with anything like this before. "Pansy, go get Madam Pomfrey," he demanded. Pansy stood still for a second, clearly very put-off by the situation. "Pansy, if you want to help Hermione go get Madam Pomfrey," he demanded again. He tried to kept his voice steady and calm. He didn't know if Hermione was listening to him, but he didn't want to take the chance of stressing her. 

"Hermione, can you hear me?" Draco asked again as Pansy was leaving. Hermione slowly looked out and made a slight move of her head. Draco nodded with her. He tried to keep his voice simple and sure. "Breath with me." Draco took slow breaths in and out. He wasn't sure if he was doing the right thing in this situation, but he was going his best. Hermione didn't follow at first, but she eventually slowed her breathing more. Draco smiled. She was making progress. 

Draco turned as Madam Pomfrey and Pansy strode back into the room. 

"What's going on Mr. Malfoy? Is Ms. Granger alright?" Draco looked back at Hermione who was still concentrating on her breathing. "I'm not sure. I think I helped, but I wasn't sure of what to do." Madam Pomfrey came and stood by the bed. 

"Thank you so much, you two. But please leave the room while I tend to her. I'll let you know when you can come back." Madam Pomfrey worked steadily on something. Pansy and Draco nodded. They stood for a moment and watched Hermione, but Draco eventually turned to leave with Pansy following. They turned once they were out of the door to look back in, but with a wave of her wand, Madam Pomfrey slowly closed the Hospital wing doors. The last thing they saw was Hermione taking a drink of something and collapsing on the bed, and then the doors shut. 

Author's Note

I know I suck as an author. I'm so sorry but I've been so busy with school and sports! Luckily, though, my fall sport has ended so I'll have more time to write. Hopefully I can have more frequent updates, but I can't make any promises. Also, these next chapters are going to be a little more over dramatic and strange (like many other fanfics lolol ((jkjk no hate to other fanfic writers))) but hopefully you can forgive me. Love you all so much and thanks for reading this much!! Kiss Kiss!