Breakthrough

"Hey, Granger. What are you doing?" Hermione froze. That wasn't Madam Pomfrey. Her head shot up out of her hands. She was surprised to find Draco leaning up against the open doors. Hermione smiled subtly.

"What's it to you, Malfoy," she teased. Draco laughed and slowly sauntered over to her bed.

"Even in a hospital bed you're still as sarcastic as ever," Draco joked. Hermione laughed softly. She watched as Draco sat down next to her. His eyes slowly searched her face. She was very aware of it, and kind of uncomfortable. "So how are you doing, Hermione?" Draco asked carefully. Hermione sighed.

"I don't want a pity party, Malfoy. And anyways, did Madam Pomfrey even say it was okay for you to be in here?" Hermione asked. Draco shook his head.

"Nah, but what can she do?" Draco laughed.

"I know more hexes than you ever will, Mr. Malfoy." Draco and Hermione's heads whipped towards the door to see Madam Pomfrey standing there. She had one hand carrying a tray of food, and the other planted on her hip. Hermione chuckled.

"You're in trouble~" Hermione teased. Draco chuckled too and turned fully towards Madam Pomfrey.

"I'm sorry, Madam Pomfrey. I really didn't mean it," he replied lightly. Madam Pomfrey chuckled and shook her head.

"Sure, Mr. Malfoy." She walked over to Hermione and handed her the food, but not before she hit Draco over the head. Hermione laughed as Draco rubbed the sore spot. "Well, Mr. Malfoy, this has been fun, but I'm afraid I have to ask you to leave," Madam Pomfrey stated. Draco crossed his arms.

"But I just got here," he retorted. "And she seems to be okay right now." Madam Pomfrey furrowed her brows.

"Now, Mr. Malfoy," Madam Pomfrey stated more firmly. Draco sighed.

"Fine, fine. I'm leaving." Draco shot a quick smirk at Hermione before turning to leave. Madam Pomfrey sighed heavily.

"See what I mean? A ruckus." Hermione laughed at this and started to pick at her food. "Ms. Granger?" Madam Pomfrey questioned. Hermione nodded. "Would it be alright if we have a little chat while you're eating?" Hermione froze, but she quickly regained her composure and nodded. She really would just have to lie her way out. Madam Pomfrey carefully pulled up a chair and sat down next to Hermione's bed.

"So, Hermione," she started. "Can you tell me what happened last night when Draco brought you here? You were passed out." Hermione tried to stay calm as she searched the corners of her mind for an excuse for what happened. After coming up empty, she resorted to just denying everything.

"I don't know," Hermione stated plainly. Madam Pomfrey pursed her lips.

"If you want me to help you, Ms. Granger. You're going to have to talk to me. I promise I won't tell anyone else right now. I really do wish to help you." Hermione really wanted to tell Madam Pomfrey the truth, but it was as if her brain was saying something and the rest of her body refused to listen. "So, can you tell me what happened?" Madam Pomfrey asked again.

"I don't know," Hermione lied again. Madam Pomfrey sighed once more and sat still for a moment, searching Hermione's face.

"I understand if you're scared to talk to me, but do you want my help?" Madam Pomfrey asked. Hermione hesitated for a long while, then nodded. "Would you want to talk to someone else? I don't usually do this, but if there's someone else you trust that would be easier to talk to, I can go get them. I would obviously still be near you, so that I can hear what you say, but I find that sometimes it's easier to talk to someone you have a deep bond with." Madam Pomfrey waited patiently for Hermione to respond.

Hermione sat quietly, considering the offer. She really did want Madam Pomfrey's help. She wanted to get better, but she didn't want any of her friends to know about her problems. She didn't want them to know how messed up she was. In the end, Hermione just had to decide if she would rather risk losing her friends for a chance at healing, or just keep suffering in an endless amount of abuse.

A few days ago, Hermione would easily chosen to keep suffering if it meant she could keep her friends, but something else occurred to her. She thought about how Pansy had fought to stay the night with Hermione, even after she had known what had happened. She thought about how Draco still came to visit her without Madam Pomfrey's permission, even after he had witnessed a panic attack. Maybe even after her friends knew her problems, they would stay. Maybe they would try and help her, maybe they would still love her.

"Can I talk to Pansy?" Hermione murmured quietly. Madam Pomfrey smiled warmly.

"Of course. I'm sure she'll be glad to see you. Please wait here while I go get her." Madam Pomfrey stood and strode out of the room. Hermione laid back on her bed. She sighed heavily for what seemed like the hundredth time that day. She knew that talking to Pansy would be the breakthrough she needed to get back a normal life. So, then, why was she so scared? She bolted up to a sitting position as she heard Madam Pomfrey enter the room again. Pansy followed closely in her footsteps, smiling sheepishly. Hermione forced a smile in return.

"So, Ms. Granger," Madam Pomfrey stated as she approached. "I'm going to stand a few yards away while you two chat for a bit. You may talk casually for a little while if you wish, but you must try and answer the questions I'm having her ask. Alright?" Madam Pomfrey smiled warmly at Hermione. Hermione closed her eyes, hoping to wake up from this nightmare. She wished to find herself in the Weasley's house at the end of summer. Ron would be kind and caring like he always had been. They would come to Hogwarts and finish their schooling easily. Hermione would gain Pansy and so many more friends in school and they would live happily ever after. Hermione opened her eyes, only to find Pansy and Madam Pomfrey staring back at her.

Hermione chuckled to herself. She knew this wasn't a dream, and she had to accept that. She took a deep breath and locked eyes with Madam Pomfrey. She reassured herself again and again. This was a breakthrough. A breakthrough out of the ice she was trapped under. She could do this. Earlier, she had thought she was weak if she asked for help, but now she knew she was strong enough. After all, she had survived this long with an endless amount of abuse. But even the strongest people needed help sometimes. Hermione smiled.

"I'm ready."

Author's Note

Hi!!!! Lol I finally posted on a Sunday again. I probably shouldn't even have an update schedule if I don't follow it lol.... and on that note, I'll be out of town next week and might not post Sunday.... 😅 lol and I just want to say thanks for still reading my story for so long!! Love you all so freaking much! Kiss Kiss!