I Don't Keep Promises

Hermione let out a little scream. She was scared that Ron was going to beat her for refusing him.

"Please don't! I promise I won't do it again!" she yelled. Hermione heard a voice behind her laugh. And it definitely wasn't Ron. She started to thrash around. Her attacker let her go immediately. 

"Bloody hell, Hermione. You can put up quite the fight." Hermione whirled around to face the anonymous boy. 

"Dra- Malfoy?" Hermione had to get used to calling him Malfoy. 

"Hermione," Draco laughed. "What won't you do again?" Hermione smiled nervously and her face reddened. 

"Oh, nothing." Draco raised an eyebrow. "At least nothing that you have to worry about." Hermione tried to inject venom into her voice. "I thought I told you to leave me alone," Hermione demanded. "-and to not call me Hermione anymore, ferret." 

"Oh, come on, Hermione." Hermione frowned. 

"Granger," she corrected. 

"Hermione," Draco said, ignoring her command. "At the beginning of the year, you were all about this house unity shit. And you made a real effort to try and get along with me. Then, all of a sudden, you tell me to go back to calling you Granger and you start avoiding me at all costs. Did you think I wouldn't notice something was wrong?" Draco asked. Hermione sighed. Ron would definitely punish her for what she was about to do.

"Fine. You see, Draco, Ron has been-" Hermione paused. "He's been-" she started again. "Well, you see-" 

"Would you just spit it out already," Draco demanded, annoyed. Hermione kept stuttered.

"Ron had been-" Suddenly, before Hermione could finish her sentence, the classroom door flew wide open. 

"Hermione," Ron growled. 

"Ron!" Hermione yelled, surprised. "What are you-" Ron suddenly grabbed her by her arm. 

"Let go of me, Ron. You are hurting me!" Hermione shouted. Ron's grip never loosened. 

"You heard her, Weasel, let go." Ron turned to look at Draco, as if he had just noticed him. 

"Malfoy, what are you doing with my girl?" Ron demanded. Draco scoffed.

"Your girl? She doesn't seem to like being your girl." Ron ignored him. 

"I thought she told you to stay away from her. Right, Hermione?" Ron directed the last part of his sentence at Hermione, saying it in a sickly sweet tone. Hermione nodded vigorously. 

"See? Now you stay away from-" Ron started, but then was cut off by Draco. 

"I was just wondering, Weasel, why did she tell me that? Why did she tell me to stay away. We had a perfectly good relationship? Why wouldn't she want that?"

"Because-" Ron started again. Only to be cut off. Again. 

"Ah, ah, ah," Draco cut in. "Hermione was just about to tell me why. So, Hermione, why did you all of a sudden tell me to piss off?" Draco asked. 

"Well, I didn't use that kind of language-" 

"Just answer the question, Hermione," Draco said in an annoyed tone, although he had a small smile playing on the corners of his lips. 

"Well, the thing is-" Hermione suddenly gasped. Ron was twisting her arm painfully. Very painfully. 

"I realized how much of a jerk you were. After all, once a jerk, always a jerk," Hermione lied. 

Draco suddenly tore Ron's hand off of Hermione's arm. Ron jerked away from Draco's touch. 

"Can't Hermione tell the truth without you hurting her? You think that that little twist of her arm would go unnoticed?" Draco sneered. Ron growled. "Hermione, continue." Hermione glanced back and forth between the two boys.

She didn't know what to do. She didn't want to lie to Draco, but if she were to tell the truth, she was afraid of what Ron might do to her. 

"I-" Hermione stuttered. "I... um- I" Hermione paused. Hermione finally decided that Ron was scarier than Draco. "Can't you just leave it alone?" Hermione exploded. Draco and Ron both stepped back from the venom in her voice. But, unlike Draco, Ron quickly composed himself. 

"What?" Ron stuttered. Apparently, he was only outwardly composed. Hermione tried to sneer for the first time in her life. 

"Ferret, you are so... so-" Hermione paused wondering what would make her believable and over the top. "You are so fucking nosy and annoying." Ron and Draco both stumbled at the use of her language. "Why do you always have to be so involved with every single fucking thing?" she yelled. Hermione found that she kind of liked the feeling of the curse word on her tongue. "You're always getting in everybody's fucking way and being a pest. A parasite."  Hermione put emphasis on every word that she thought needed it. 

"Herm-" Hermione held her hand up as if to stop Draco from speaking.

"Don't. Just fucking don't." Ron had finally composed himself. He smiled. He looked like a psychopath.

"Let's go, 'Mione," Ron said as he pushed past Draco. Draco growled. 

"Hermione," Draco grabbed Hermione's arm. She pulled away, but she didn't interrupt him this time.  "You don't have to listen to him." Hermione curled her lip. 

"Why? So I can listen to you instead?" Hermione turned to leave. Ron led her out of the room, but before she left, she spoke without turning to face Draco. 

"Promise that'll you'll stay away from me," Hermione spoke. But instead of speaking with the hatred that she had before, she spoke as if she were begging him. Draco hesitated. 

"Hermione, I-" he started. 

"Just promise," Hermione spoke so quietly that Draco almost hadn't heard her. 

"I promise," Draco muttered. Hermione didn't respond. She left the room without so much as a look at Draco. Once she had left, Draco smiled.

"Just remember, Hermione," Draco said quietly to himself, "I don't keep promises." 

Author's note

I published on time! I'm so proud of myself! But to make up for all of my late posts, I think I'll post twice this week. Maybe. Don't get your hopes up, but I'll try. I feel bad about posting late, so I'm sorry. But I posted today! Okay, I think you get the point. Kiss Kiss!