Thank You

~Continued Flashback~

November 27, Saturday

Hermione waited a little while until she was sure Ron and Harry were gone. She peeked around the portrait hole and into the hall, holding her breath. She sighed when she saw no sign of the boys. Hermione went the opposite way from the dining hall and wondered around the corridors. She finally decided to visit Myrtle again. She had seen her a couple of days ago, and she really enjoyed her company, surprisingly. Hermione made her way there. 

Her was lost in thought as she walked the familiar corridors. She didn't see very many people because they were probably either eating in the great hall or still asleep. Hermione wasn't paying much attention to her surroundings until she stumbled across a familiar classroom. She wondered why it was familiar. She didn't have any classes in it. She didn't even know which class was taught in it. Against her better judgement, she wondered inside for a peek. She looked around and didn't see anything very noticeable. She turned to leave but was stopped short by a glimmer in her peripheral. She turned and placed her eyes on a cross necklace. 

Hermione suddenly felt an intense wave of fear wash over her. She couldn't breath and she felt beads of sweat dripping down her forehead. The room started to spin as her heart beat hard against her chest. She fell onto the wall behind her. Hermione gripped for something to hold her up and found purchase on a nearby desk. She stayed in the same position until she felt herself gain control again. As soon as she felt strong enough, she stood slowly. Her breathing was still shallow, and the panicked feeling lingered. Scared, Hermione ran to Myrtle's bathroom. 

She barely paused to see who was watching her as she raced down the hallways. No one spoke to her as she shot past them. Hermione had no idea what had just happened, but she needed a comforting presence. When Hermione arrived at the bathroom, she flung the door open and slammed it shut, no doubt scaring the people outside. Myrtle flew out of a stall. 

"Hermione?" she whispered as Hermione tried to catch her breath again. "Are you crying?" Hermione hadn't noticed, but she did have small tears running down her face. She shook her head to clear it and looked up at Myrtle. 

"I don't know what to do," Hermione whispered helplessly. "I just- I don't know." Myrtle flew down by her and smiled warmly. "I'm sorry," Hermione muttered. "I know I must look pathetic." 

"No, you don't," Myrtle replied. 

"Liar," Hermione accused, though she was starting to feel better with Myrtle around. 

"I am not," Myrtle retorted. Hermione laughed. "Hermione," Myrtle said comfortingly. "You know, sometimes it's okay to not be okay. None of this is your fault. I do think you should tell someone, but do it for yourself, not for anybody else. And do it only when you're ready. But you also need to remember that it's unlikely that he'll change unless you tell someone. I know it's hard, especially if you love him, but you can't deal with this on your own, no matter how much you want to." Hermione smiled at the advice. 

"Thanks, Myrtle. That was... actually really good advice." Myrtle smiled. 

"Of course it was. I am amazing. Did it cheer you up?" Myrtle asked excitedly. Hermione smiled. She had forgotten that Myrtle was so young when she had died, and she still retained some of her childlike innocence. 

"Of course. After all, you are amazing." Myrtle smiled widely and proudly. 

"But who would I tell. I'm too embarrassed to tell Draco like you said earlier, and how can teachers help?" Hermione asked. 

"More than you know. Teachers can get Ron the help he needs if he does need it, and they can protect you from further abuse from him. You can also go through different things to help control your future panic attacks," Myrtle explained. Hermione raised her eyebrow about how much Myrtle knew about this, and also about the fact that she had known she had had a panic attack. 

"How did you-" Hermione started. 

"-know you had a panic attack? It was easy. You were clearly shaken when you arrived here, and you were sweating and short of breath. And after all you have been through, I put the pieces together."  Hermione opened her mouth to ask another question, but Myrtle cut her off again. "And I know so much about panic attacks because I had social anxiety when I was alive. I think it was because of this that I had panic attacks too. I know how it feels." Hermione became sad for Myrtle. She had been only thirteen when she died, and she had been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks. 

"Oh, Myrtle, I'm so sorry." Myrtle rolled her eyes. 

"What's there to be sorry about, you didn't do anything to me. And if there's anyone you should be sorry for, it's you. I haven't experienced a panic attack since I died, but you just experienced one for the first time." Hermione couldn't help but laugh. Myrtle was oblivious to social cues. "Why are you laughing?" Myrtle asked, confused. "Did I really cheer you up that much?" Hermione wiped the old tears from her eyes. 

"Yes. And thank you for that."