The Engagement

It was the weekend and Neji literally dashed out of his dormitory, he had packed his backpack in advanced and ran straight back towards the Hyuuga household. The last thing he wanted was to see Tenten. He could not do it anymore; he could no longer deny it anymore. It had been there for the longest time, but he chose to ignore it. His mind wandered into the way Tenten slept in her normal form, her gentle breathing and her sudden bursts of "sleep speech". He looked forward to it every single night, it calmed his senses to sleep. He enjoyed training with her more than with his two other freaky teammates, he enjoyed watching how gracefully she deposited each weapons straight towards its target. He knew, he knew, he was harbouring feelings for his roommate/teammate but he was quite certain that it was a one-sided love.

It killed him to have to say those words to Tenten. It killed him to encourage her to be with another man.

He thought of what he had said to Itachi, was it true that his request of getting Itachi to distance himself away from Tenten was because of Tenten's well being or was it because of his underlying selfish jealousy? He thought about it Long and hard. He spent nights avoiding Tenten on purpose just so he could think of the most rationale thing to do. The last thing he wanted was for Tenten to get hurt. He wanted her to be happy, even if that means driving her to the arms of another-someone that was not him. If Tenten liked Itachi just as how he thought she did, then she should be with him. He did not want his unnecessary declaration of feelings to confuse Tenten's thoughts. No, he would live in pain and sorrow. As long as she was happy.

He halted in front of the huge gates of the Hyuuga household when he was graced by an odd visitor's presence- Uchihaa Itachi.

"Hello Neji." Itachi greeted calmly.

Neji sighed, Itachi was the last person he wanted to see.

"Itachi." Neji nodded curtly before he made a move to notify the guards of his arrival, Hyuugas were highly protective of their household.

"That won't be necessary.. I am here to have a quick word with you. I wanted to inform you that I cannot. I tried my best to forget him. But I can't. I will find a way to make everything work, even if the odds are against me I will.." Itachi started but stopped abruptly when his eyes traveled to an odd scene before him, it was Teiji in his female form. Itachi's eyes widened when he saw the beautiful brunette with her customary hair buns walking towards him. She halted as she saw him, gulped but continued walking in a slower pace towards him.

"T-Teiji??" Itachi spluttered the words out, "W-why are you.. Are you in a Mission?"

Tenten stopped as she stood in front of Itachi, she looked guilty as she looked up to him, "Icchan.. I need to tell you something.."

"Inside." Neji ordered them when they were attracting the attention of a few passerby.

Neji brought them into a quiet conference room and motioned them to enter, as soon as they did, Neji shut the door firmly and waited outside.

Tenten bowed down towards Itachi as She yelled, "Please forgive me! I know you might not be able to but please! I need to tell you the truth, just as Neji have said, you have been nothing but kind towards me. This is not how I should repay your kindness. You deserve to know the truth. And the truth is, I am a woman, my name is Tenten. I disguised myself using a henge because there were no slots left for the kunoichi department. I wanted to get stronger to atone for the sins of my late Father. I didn't expect you to fall for me. I am sorry to have lead you on. You must really hate me..." Tenten did not manage to finish her sentence, she felt a firm hand grabbing onto her right shoulder.

"Rise. Now." Itachi ordered.

Tenten did as she was told, she rose up slowly from her bowing figure, but kept her gaze down towards the carpeted floor.