Chapter 31

(Emma's POV)

"I'm not coming out until you guys go downstairs." I shout through the door at my brothers.

Sometimes they are just too overprotective.

I hear talking but I can't make out the words. Then I hear pounding on the stairs as the head down to the kitchen. I groan and head over to my phone.

I guess I'll try telling my mom I don't feel well so I don't have to go downstairs.

I scoop up the phone and send my mom a text. In about a minute I can hear her climbing the stairs. I can tell it's her cause her steps are so much lighter than my brothers. She knocks on my door and I unlock it for her.

"So you aren't feeling well?" Mom asks sitting on the corner of my bed.

"Yeah." I sigh, sagging back into all my pillows on my bed.

She feels my forehead.

"Well you do feel kind of hot. How about you just stay here and relax tonight."

"Ok." I say.

My plan worked! She left my room, closing the door behind her. As soon as I heard her on the stairs again, I roll out of bed and run over to the door. I twist the lock and replace the chair.

I hurry back over to my bed. My brothers will want to get to me even more now but we'll deal with that when the time comes. It won't be long until they're back and pounding on my door. And they'll bring Ryder and Logan. Great.

In about 20 minutes I hear footsteps heading back up the stairs. And then the pounding on my door starts again.

"Come on Emma. Just open the door." Leo yells through it.

"No. I'm good." I shout back.

"If there's nothing happening, why aren't you coming out?" Cam calls.

"Because I'm not talking to you guys. It's not a big deal. Plus I know you guys. If I don't tell you who I was texting then you'll just hold me down again and get Hunter to find out." I say through my door.

"Not if you won't just tell us." Sawyer replies.

"Well I'm not telling you." I say.

"Then you're practically just asking for it, shorty." Hunter adds.

"Shut up Hunter." I cry.

Too bad he was on the other side of the door or I would have hit him.

"It's only the truth." He laughs.

I can hear them talking but I can't make out words. So I use this time to delete the conversation from my phone and the number. Then my lock starts to jiggle again. Hunter must be picking the lock again. I grab my phone and flop back on the bed. I'm assuming they're gonna be able to get in this time. I'm not even gonna fight it anymore. It's useless.

I hear the little click my lock makes from all the way on my bed. Then I can tell they're pushing on the door. I hear the little scraping sound as slowly, the chair gets pushed further back by the door. I contemplate weather or not to run to the bathroom. That's probably a bad idea. There's just a little lock on my bathroom door and Hunter could easily pick it. And I would just look really guilty of something.

With a bang, my door gets pushed all the way open and the chair falls to the floor.

"Geez Emma. You barricaded that well." Alexander says.

I don't answer. I just keep staring at my ceiling.
Leo comes over to me.

"You're not gonna try and run or anything?" Leo asks, grinning down at me.