Chapter 33

A few days later my brothers have finally gotten over the texting thing. So I feel safe-ish sitting at the kitchen island to eat my breakfast. My mom enters the room from her office hallway.

"Hey mom, can Brynn come over today?" I ask.

"I guess so." She replies, turning on the oven.

I nod and look back down at my bagel. Then someone sneaks up behind me and scares me half to death.

"BOO!"

I just about fall off my chair. I turn around to look at Alexander.

"Alexander William Samuels! How many times have I told you not to do that?" I shriek.

"C'mon shorty. You have the best reactions." He tussles my hair and sits down on the stool beside me.

"Morning Alexander." Mom greets him.

"Good morning Sarah." Alex responds taking an apple from the bowl on the island.

"Where's your other half this morning?" Mom asks, referring to my eldest brother.

"Bathroom." Alex munches his apple.

Then Leo enters the kitchen. I scowl at him.

"Can you put on a shirt?"

"Why would I do that baby sister?"

"Because this is the kitchen. People are trying to eat in here and looking at you is making it less appetizing." I shoot back, rolling my eyes.

Alexander bursts out laughing. Mom chuckles form the other side of the kitchen. Leo narrows his eyes at me.

"You little..." He lunges forward and pulls me off my stool.

"Mom!" I complain, Leo holding me up by my shirt to his height.

I'm dangling over a foot off the ground.

"Leo. Put her down." Mom says, not even looking at us.

"Mom. Please. Just one good hit." Leo smirks.

"No!" I object.

"I think that's fair." Alexander throws in.

"You can shut up." I point in his direction.

He chuckles. Mom turns and raises her eyebrows at Leo.

"Put her down Leo."

I grin at him. He glares back.

"You're no fun mom."

"I also don't want my only daughter dead. She's not like you boys, I can't just replace her. I need her here to keep me sane." She retorts.

"Picking favourites I see." Leo says, finally setting me down.

"She was determined the favourite a long time ago Leonardo."

Alex and I giggle at his full name.

My mom is the only one that can use his full first name. Not even my dad can call him that.

Leo shoots both of us a menacing look.

"Shut up Alexander." He snaps at his best friend.

Ryder and Cameron enter the kitchen, smirking at my oldest brother.

"Did I hear Leo's full name?"

Mom smiles at her sons. Leo turns his mean look on Ryder.

"Shut it Ryder."

"Leave your brother alone Leo." Mom commands.

"Mom! Literally every time I say anything to them, you tell me to stop. Emma just called me ugly and you laughed." He pouts, sitting down in the breakfast nook.

"You're the oldest Leo. Be more mature than the rest of them." Mom soothes.

"That's not fair." He continues to pout.

"Life's not fair." I shoot at him, mimicking what he always says to me.

"Just one hit mom. She'd shut up for once." Leo pleads, standing up.

I scurry away to hide behind Ryder.

"No Leo." Mom turns her attention back to her breakfast prep.

"Fine." He grumbles and sits back down.

"Since I have most of you here, I might as well tell you all now. You're father is going to be in New York next week for work and will have a couple days off. He offered for me to come and stay so we can spend some time together and see a show or something. So I'll be away a couple days next week." Mom informs us.

I jump out of my seat.

"You can't announce you're leaving me here alone with them right after you had to stop the "mature" one from killing me!" I exclaim.

"You'll be fine." Mom try's to comfort me.

"Have you met them? I'm definitely not going to be alive when you return." I scoff.

"You're so dramatic Emma." Ryder comments, rolling his eyes.

"You're not in any danger here Ryder. The only person that could try to hurt you would be him," I gesture to Leo, "and you always team up together so."

"Not my problem." He snorts.

"Mom! You can't leave me with them." I trail around the kitchen behind her.

"They will not be allowed to do anything to you honey." Mom kisses the top of my head.

"That's never stopped them before!" I whine.

She turns on me after my comment.

"I'll tell you what, you can have Brynn sleepover all the days that I'm gone." She says quietly so the boys can't hear.

"Thanks I guess." I sigh.

It's not gonna do much help in my defence but it's something.

"If you need me at all, you can call at any time." Mom reassures me.

I groan and turn back to my brothers plus Alexander.

"So are you excited, munchkin?" Cameron taunts, leaning onto the marble island.

"Stop teasing your sister Cameron." Mom warns.

Cam holds his hands up in defence. "I was just asking her a question mom."

She shoots him a look.

"Anyways," She continues, "the only people over when I'm gone are Brynn, Alexander and Logan. No one else. And no threatening Emma and Brynn to be quiet about what happens here."

She looks pointedly at Leo and Cameron.

"If she wasn't such a tattle tale, no one would need to threaten her." Cam mutters.

"Shut up Cameron." I hiss back.

"Cameron! Be nice to your sister. If you were nice to her than she wouldn't need to tattle now would she." Mom raises her eyebrows again.

He scowls. Mom then turns to Ryder.

"Ryder, you're least likely to burn the house down. Can you watch the bacon while I go to my office for a second?"

"Sure." Ryder says from the breakfast nook.

My mom heads toward her office with me following close behind.