Chapter One

The Strange Stranger

We all know our eyes play tricks on us, but sometimes those sightings or abnormal chills you get whenever your alone, carry a bit of the bitter truth in them. And its known that to every small truth, there is a lie, but there is also a deceiver pulling the strings from the clouds where you cannot see him.

That last sentence, is open for interpretation.

With fatigued breath, I folded my prayer mat and placed it neatly on my lampstand, then proceeded to take off my Prayer clothes. After a lazy yawn, I walked towards my door and closed the lights. I threw myself onto my bed, and drowned in the warm sheets waiting patiently until I would fall asleep. But what I failed to notice that day, was that this day wasnt going to be like the hundreds before it, because I wouldn't be going to sleep for a while. What came next was why.

I heard something. And as cliche as it sounds, I havent heard anything like it before. That was what made it hard to discribe, and even harder for my brain to interpret it. The only thing I knew for sure, was that there was something in this room with me.

I've always seen strange figures in the dark, ever since I was a child, but my mother dismisses it, and claims it was just my big imagination... but I thought otherwise. If had a big imagination, I would have had imaginary friends like my little brother Hassan. Well... when he was younger I mean.

Another sound caught my attention, but this time it was much clearer. It sounded like a footstep, but it was light as a feather and as thin as a stick. But I didnt care what it sounded like anymore, my heart was pounding and from under the sheets I could feel sweat run down my neck after every shaking breath I let out. I asked, "Who is it?'' But there was no answer for that question. Only a response.

It stops, embracing the silence around him for a moment then proceeds to walk forward like nothing had happened. But I knew what he was thinking, he wasnt sure if I had heard him or not. That alone made me smile. Whoever this person or thing was, its intention wasnt to kill or hurt me, he wanted something else. But what?

Did I just say HE!?

I hid my head under the thin sheet, in an attempt to cover all my hair and in a position that wouldnt give the man a right to jump on me for him choke me or whatever creepy men like him did to girls when they slept.

The stranger, continued to walk towards his unknown destination, which meant that he thought I was coward enough not to look... and no one, or thing could ever have the right to think that. Carefully, making sure to make as little as no sound, I peeked threw the sheet, and fixed my eyes on the tall and slim black figure walking slowly towards the door. When my dark brown eyes adjusted to the lighting, I was free to observe him quietly. Making sure not to stare too much- because seriously, that would be creepier than being the creep himself- at his torso, armed in a long sleeved buttoned down shirt, although he rolled up his sleeves. With a pair of headphones hanging on his neck, he took one step forward in such caution, you thought the floor was made of old wood.

So hes into music? I wandered.

As for his pants, they seemed to be plain jeans. I was a bit relieved he didn't wear extra skinny Jean's, that made it quite clear you were uncomfortable while moving and showing your skinny chicken legs; That'll be gross, And it probably wouldn't be wise to wear when your jumping threw windows and into girls rooms. Nevertheless, I still couldn't make out his face, not when it was covered with his long bangs.

And than it hit my mind. There was a stranger in my bedroom!? And I'm just thinking about what he looked like and his "style".

But it got another idea into my head. If my parents were ever to walk into this room... -I was just sure my mother wasnt going to buy it. Especially when the guys so well dressed.

Easier said than done, I jumped up- uncovered- wearing only my pink and white striped pajamas and asked, ''Who are you? And what the hell are you doing here?'' I wasn't one to swear, but this was really not the moment for manners. Besides, a robber was the last person to be expected to have great table manners. Along with killers, phycos, kidnappers, and of course, the villains in movies.

He gave me a long stare, puzzled and confused, but the longer our eyes met, the longer I had time to study my actions carefully. ''Oh my god, I need to cover my hair!'' I exclaimed.

''No you don't,'' He replied calmly. I felt a breeze go right threw me, once he said those words, and I grew speechless. I had no idea what to reply to those bold words he spoke, that was when I realized that it wasnt his words that made me go cold. That was because normally, when people made assumptions about my choice of wearing the hijab, I would snap at them without thinking. But something eerie was behind all of this and it caged my expectations until I didn't know what to expect next.

His cool wasn't the only thing that was strange about him, nor was the situation we were both in, but it was the weird feeling his voice gave once he adressed me. I felt so empty, emotionless, like my soul had just been taken away from me as easily as a ring slipping off your finger. I could see the image in the back of my mind. I snapp from that image, and perhaps the deep haze I had let myself in and looked at him boldly in the eye once more, my gaze permanent this time.

''What makes you say that?'' I asked.

''Because I'm not human,'' Once again, he said it as if he wasnt in an odd situation at someone elses bedroom. Good god guys! How stupid was this guy? Cute or not, he was definitely crazy.

I grabed a shawl I threw two days ago after my first day of school and wrapped it loosly, keeping in mind he had already seen my untamed hair, and that it was dark.

''What do you mean your not human? Did you escape an asylum or something? Because no sane person would say that.'' I informed him.

''I just said the truth, no need to be so angry.'' He shrugged, sounding insulted.

''OK, Who are you, and what ar-'' I froze once the few rays of the sun went threw my window, and onto his face, as they painted his features with colors and emotions. This stranger, had dark brown hair, and mystical blue eyes with various shades of every ocean out there. My eyes lingered down to the lips who've spoken such daring words, but my jaw dropped, and reality couldn't push it back up. This strange stranger, had no other then screaming white teeth hanging down his lips.

How can he even brush them? Was my first thought.

''By the way,'' He said, taking a few steps closer, probuly showing off his height when he leans down to the short college student sitting on her bed. He asked, like he really did have no clue whatsoever. ''How can you see me?''

---

jinn (Arabic: الجن‎, al-jinn), also romanized as djinn or anglicized as genies (with the more broad meaning of spirits or demons) are supernatural creatures in early Arabian and later Islamic mythology and theology.

also

an intelligent spirit of lower rank than the angels, able to appear in human and animal forms and to possess humans. 'the rebellious jinn lead men astray' Compare with genie.