Chapter Forty-Five

He's Gone

They say that only time could mend a broken heart, but perhaps they meant it in a more physical way than mental. Perhaps it was because we cry so much at the start, and only stop when our energy is drained and our tears are left to dry. All they saw from the outside was a person in healing, but grief is a complicated thing. It dwells in the insides of our hearts and even further in our thoughts for as long as one can live. And every thought was intoxicated with their memories, to the point that even the image of us laughing hurt like hell.

All I could do was stare at the floor where Grecio had once stood, eyes wide and rich with tears as they threatened to fall. I gasped for air, feeling as if my throat had been set on fire. I couldn't tell if I was shaking or not, and if I did, I didn't care hard enough. The only thing that seemed to flow in and out of my mind was him. It was even the same for my lips who called his name hopelessly until the word felt foreign. And like the thousands of times, I've tried, no answer ever came.

You'd think by now that I'd accept what I would soon be able to see as the truth, but sadly, even the simple thought of accepting his departure was too hard of a pill to swallow. Mainly because something inside of me knew that it would follow me like a shadow I couldn't run from. Why accept something that would slowly begin to drain the life out of you?

''Ya Allah, please help me,'' I whispered in between sobs, as I gathered all that was left of my strength to eye the sky the ceiling forcefully blocked. The tears that once rested on my cheeks now flowed down in a thin stream and the light from the corner moved from one side to the other until the room was grinning with light.

How long have I sat here and wept? I thought as I looked around the now light-embraced room, then to where the candlestick had fallen, flameless, and in despair.

Remembering how I struck that thing with it made my insides twist, and yet I felt satisfied with the pain that I had caused it. My legs felt heavy and just as crippled as my mind. If not for the wall to aid my standing, I would have laid on the ground for another hour. Once I stood on my feet, I took slow, careful steps until I reached where the candlestick had fallen. The beast's blood that once decorated it, had faded, leaving nothing to it but a vague memory. With a blank expression, I took hold of the thing and placed it on the professor's desk. After that was done, I struggled to make my way to the door, for my legs still dreaded to leave everything in this room the way it was. And so, I forced myself to look back, trying to hold back the tears when I realized that in a few days, I would have to step foot in here and act as if nothing had happened.

''Goodbye,''

I'm not sure who I bid farewell to, but it felt wrong leaving such a past behind without saying anything. I didn't walk out too fast either. Maybe I was waiting for something, a response maybe, but I didn't trouble myself with it too much. After that, it felt like I had no choice but to proceed onwards, to carry a bleeding heart, and hope no traces could be found afterward.

The hallways were empty, and the air as still as a stone. Walking between them, I felt as if I was detached from the world, living a Greek tragedy on my own. I was lost in my thoughts, but there were no thoughts there, to begin with. Just a cloudy mind. I was shocked I could even find the exit with this kind of comprehension. I knew very well what time it was, and the possibility of it being open at this time was very low. Yet I had to take a chance, as it was all I had left. I pulled the doorknob gently and waited for a clicking sound with my eyes sealed. When I heard it, my eyes bolted open, only to stare at the door in pure shock.

Grecio...

''Thank you,'' A tear was bound to fall sooner or later, but this one trailed down a crooked path that scarred my cheeks.