Chapter Twenty-Seven

Dreams Hurt

        When my mom left, I was finally able to grasp the air I needed after making such a bold move. I didn't know how serious this was before the door closed and woke something in my head.

Growing up watching Disney movies, marriage was always centered around one thing, love. And the little girl inside me, felt like she had just been crushed by some enormous rock. A mountain in fact.

"Shit," I muttered. "I don't know a thing about this guy!"

"What guy?"

Ok, let's get this straight, I've been startled and scared many times before, but none made me jump the way I did now. "What the hell Gre-"

"Hi." He casually interrupted.

I gave him a look, but it didn't affect a single cell in his body. I rolled my eyes and turned to put away a few things that were laying on my desk just to help the awkwardness fade away. When I was done, he was still standing there.

"Hi. Do you need anything?" I asked. I thought I had already settled things out and made everything clear. But by his actions, none of that ever happened.

Damn, if only I was that good at forgetting things so easily.

"I thought about what you said yesterday, and... " he paused. "Wait. You're going to date, someone?"

"No.. " I awkwardly laughed, "Well, maybe. Ok Yes, but it doesn't matter."

"Doesn't matter how?" He stepped closer, and by the tone of his voice, he knew exactly what he was talking about. In fact, I doubt he wasnt spying on us threw out the whole conversation.

I stepped back until the back of my knee touched the mattress. Giving how small my room was, I threw myself on the bed and shrugged, with my hands on my stomach and eyes on the ceiling. "It's just a date. A blind date with my brother's childhood friend." I spoke. And yes, it did sound crazy saying it out loud. But just to be fair, almost everything I say is crazy.

"Thanks for the details," He muttered.

"What was that?" I asked him, quickly sitting up.

"What was what?" I groaned out of frustration. When was he ever honest with me if I didnt have a tear in my eye?

"I'm just- you know, it's going to be awkward when it goes horribly wrong, right?" He asked.

"Yeah.. but What makes you so sure about that?" I questioned.

"You don't know the guy, you don't like him.. so why did you agree?" He asked.

"Because... I just did." I lied, meeting his eyes with a small shrug.

"Seriously? Do you know how many couples I saw ruin their lives because they took it too slow or too fast!?" He exclaimed.

"Then how about us!?" I exclaimed, quickly jumping up from the bed."We're going nowhere yet something pushes us to take that step that... we cant take."

He stayed quiet before stuttering, "W-what are you even talking about?"

"God!" I groaned, "Why do you even care? Let me ruin my life. Just go."

He eyed me for a second, quietly comprehending the stupidity in me. "No. That's not an option, Ruqaya. And be assured, it would never be." He told me, his eyes sparkling as he spoke the words I had never expected to come out of his lips in a million years. Those perfect, pink lips...

An image from the dream appeared, and I immediately let my eyes down as my cheeks flamed up. I didnt understand anything. Why was this happening now of all times? Another popped in, with the same bar-like lights in the background and the way he shattered into unrepairable pieces. 

A part of me cringed. My hand caressing my head to somehow cure the unbearable pain that came with the images.

"Whoah.. are you OK?" He asked, slightly lifting my chin with his fingers.

"Yeah... I'm just dizzy." I said, brushing his cold touch away.

"We could fight later." I joked.

"Isn't that what we always do?" He laughed. "But seriously, don't go."

"Oh, my god!" I groaned, ignoring the headache completely. "WhyDoYouEvenCare!?"

"Because... I just do?" He shrugged, hands in his pockets. Giving me a sheepish smile

I gave him a long look, not excepting what I had just heard. It took me a while, but my headache wasn't getting any younger. With that, I left the jokes and lies behind and played an honest game. "Well... don't. It's my job to feel miserable over my own mistakes. You could just go home and chill. Have fun." I told him with a weak voice, considering that I had just screamed.

"Isn't home a place where you find the ones you love?" He asked, in an odd tone- that God damn me if I'm right, sounded romantic.

"Yes... ?"

"Then a lonely home with spiders won't do the job." He smiled.

I blinked. Stayed silent until I asked in a low voice, like a first-grader whispering the word 'heck' to their friends; "Your.. going to move in?"

***

    I twisted. Turned. The dream on repeat but with a more twisted end. The makeout scene lasted only a moment before I grabbed his heart from his chest and began eating it. From a dream, you couldn't taste anything. But from how deep I bit and how strong it made me feel- while hating to admit it; I seemed to be enjoying it.

Grecio screamed but I couldn't hear it. Then, the world twisted and devolved until I was somewhere else.

In less than a second, I was walking threw an obscure hallway. Like the movies, I walked slowly, but the end of the tunnel seemed impossible to get to. So I started running, looking back every now and then until I stopped by an open door. A little squeak had it open just slightly in order for me to see better. There was everything everywhere; what I guessed to be a classroom. But the desks were caught trapped in the corners along with the shadows. But my attention drifted upon the circle of what came to mind first (blood) drawn to the floor, with candles scattered around the triangle drawn inside it.

In the center, lay an owl, staring at me rather intensely. With its eyes open as wide as the sea spread.

I refused to make longer eye contact with the stupid bird, so I occupied myself to trace the blood. The red and dry liquid led to a body sitting on the floor with its back on the wall, and its face down. Then, I was certain of only one thing; it was dead.

I couldn't tell exactly who it was or how he looked, but it scared me enough to scream my lungs out. The bird flew past me, without warning, like it wants to shut me up or pluck my eyes so I could unsee everything. I tried to wave it off but it wouldn't budge.

Luckily, I was back in the comfort of my bedroom.

Sweat all over my body, and heart beating miles per second, I  looked out the dark window, then reached for my phone. It was thirty minutes from prayer, so I decided to shower it off. Played a few soothing songs, and raided the fridge. By the time I was done, well... I could proudly say, that I have never been this happy to pray Fajr.

________
1290 words

____

I've been writing a lot since we're getting close to the grand finale but also I've been planning a book about one of the Salams, and its soo good. I'll probably post it after this is done because I don't have all the time in the world. Lol

Hope you're enjoying this chapter and thx for the 2k views!

I'm so excited to hear your thoughts on these strange dreams so don't be shy to share!

I also slimmed threw this book and discovered most of the time Grecio isn't there, and hopefully, I could fix that in the other upcoming chapters.

Most importantly, Have a wonderful day!