Chapter Twenty-Nine

Until Everyone Is Out

"Is everything alright?" I asked. My father gave me a quick glance before he brought back his eyes to the road.

"I can't say." He replied.

Knowing my father didn't like explaining himself very often, I sighed and averted my attention to the window. It was dark out, and it gave you the scariest feeling even in the holiday season. My father was driving in a high way, so we went quite fast. Which made the window something you weren't looking forward to seeing with all the fast images.

Looking at the lifeless trees of the dark woods repeating a pattern truly gave the mind an opportunity for thoughts to blind eyes. I didn't want to be too persistent or clingy, but my curiosity got the best of me. Plus, boredom was a feeling too strong to ignore. "You can't say because your not sure, or.. would rather not say?" I asked. Gulping the guilt down my throat to leave a strange feeling in my stomach I refused to admit was anxiety.

"Ruqaya.." My mother tried, but words failed her before she could say more.

"I don't want to say it but you'd probably like to hear it." He replied.

"Hear what, dad?" I mean, it'll do us all a favor if he dropped the Professor act and just talk like a normal person.

"They won't be hearing from us again." He replied.

"Why not?" I asked. "Unless we get in an accident nothing stopping us from sending an Eid Card when the time comes."

"Ruqaya," My mother warned, "Don't ever say such things when we're on the road."

He ignored my mother's statement and answered, "I don't find him fit." Before I could even ask more annoying questions he answered all in his next words while keeping his eyes on the road. I've always wondered how anyone could do that. Drive and not have a signal doubt that one day, you'd be the reason for someone's death or the pollution of our planet. Most importantly, keep staring at a never-ending road that no matter how much you try, you could never reach a finish.

"True he comes from a good and well family, studies engineering, has an accent, lives in the best house, and is raised by your mother's friend... but he simply isn't fit." He said, nearly breathless once he finished his sentence.

"By not fit, I'm guessing you saw the tattoo," I replied.

"Exactly." My mother added, "And we are so sorry we put you up to this when we hardly knew the guy ourselves. People don't stay kids forever you kn-"

"I... actually don't think the tattoos that bad," I confessed. They both looked at me like I've grown a second head, before rolling their eyes or sighing in disappointment that like many girls, their daughter fancied the bad boy appeal as well.

"What!?" I exclaimed. "He's not that bad. He better-looking than cousin Adam at least."

"You can't marry someone because of their looks, darling." My mother told me.

"You also can't deny someone because of what they have on their bodies," I replied. "It's like refusing someone because of a scar or wrinkle."

"Unlike a scar or wrinkle, He chooses it." My father smartly replied, making me feel both dumb, and astonished he could come up with that great comeback. I guess dealing with young adults in work, and raising more than five children; he must have gained enormous knowledge of the sacred art of comebacks. He had a lot of experience going on for him.

I wasnt that fond of tattoos but it didn't mean I didn't like them or the people who had them. I even find some beautiful. In fact, I think it suits him very well. His tattoo is romantic, classic, deadly yet pretty. He wasn't just a man with a tattoo, He seemed like an interesting guy to hang out with. It wasn't out of our world; like hanging out with Mr.Jinn himself, but Mr. Jerk was simple and interesting at the same time. Though, I wouldn't mind riding flying ponies with Grecio.