Chapter Twenty-Two

Eleven

      Normally, things don't go as expected. But what I knew as a fact, was that I was never going to get a good night's sleep after getting barked at by the most closeup of an angry wolf I've experienced in years! And even then, it didnt go so nicely. Id love to chat more, but peeing on your pants on a school trip wasn't the best kind of story to share. 

Well, at least the day after wasnt a school day, because I can't imagine what it would be like. Waking up, I mean.

I woke up by Layla's cries, as she followed mom around begging to get her tablet back. Mom, however, paid no attention to her and barged in holding the laundry basket. She began opening my drawers one by one looking for any smelly or familiar-looking clothing I've to warn the past week. I tried to ignore it by shutting my eyes tight and switching positions.

It didnt work. It never did- just like counting damn sheep.

Layla didnt stops crying, nor complaining so it only made my job ten times harder. Eventually, I realized that sooner or later, someone was going to bang a pan near my head in order to wake me up, (Id know because I've done it once) so I got up and gave Layla the best bad-morning face I could. She saw me, and for some odd reason, got the sign that no one cared about her Stargirl. Mom noticed how quiet she became, so she looked my way after finding the spot were Layla stood, to be empty.

Her expression softened and gave me a loving smile. I was confused, but I also had many reasons being cooked up in my head- one of, being she had dreamt I was harmed. And that was enough to keep me quiet and not push it too much before she asks me to make breakfast.

If they haven't eaten it already that is...

"Goodmorning, Mom." I yawned, sitting up.

"Goodmorning to you too." She replied, refusing to make longer eye contact. 

I caught that quicker then I thought I did, and I immediately snapped wide awake. "What just happened?" I asked. "Is it because of the devil before you wash your face thing or what?" 

"I wish it was, Ruqaya." She told me, turning around, with one hand on her hip and the other carrying the basket.

"Then.. what is going on?"

She grew restless as she put her words together, and soon, she dropped the basket and sat on the bed beside me. She looked at me with her big brown eyes in a torturing method, one that made you sweat all the guilt out until none was left.

"What were you doing late at night? Alone." She asked.

"Um.. after Zainub and I went inside, I went in my room. Like always." I wasnt completely lying... I just didnt mention what happened next. There was nothing wrong with that anyway. Tons of kids lie about where they were and I was no different. I wasnt out robbing banks or flirting at some bar. I was fine. Besides, I wasn't completely alone when I left.

Or wait... not being alone is the problem!

"I saw you sneak out." She replied. It was still a miracle she hadn't slapped me across the face already, but it looked like she had given it a lot of thought the other night. Her eye circles alone told that story very well. And There was no mistake that I felt terribly guilty, so why couldn't this be over already? Wasn't guilt enough?

"I did."

"Why!?" She asked, doing her best not to show how mad she was.

"It doesn't matter. I'm not going to do it again!" I told her, getting up. I walked to the other side of the room, huffing in the process. I ran my fingers threw my hair, closed my eyes, and tried to ignore her stare. Words seemed harder to put together, but my heart knew exactly what to blurt out. And when I finally gathered enough courage, I turned and looked her in the eye. But her eyes seemed worse then they were before. They weren't dark, They were slightly red- and wet. I cant come to explain the guilt I felt that moment, looking at the strong woman break in tears for something I did.

I sat beside her and wrapped my arms around her in a tight embrace. Her tears ran faster down her cheeks, and I began to pat her back slowly. Funny it is, that a mother pats her baby in the back to save him from choking. Now, I was there to pat her back for support. To calm her tears down, and to tell her I was there, To save her from choking on the bad news I was going to say.

"It's ok." I whispered, " I'm never going to sneak out again, I promise. It's over."

"What is..?" She asked, letting go.

I gave her a sad smile. I truly did want to tell her the truth.. but it was- "It's hard to explain." I replied. If I was going to tell her, I'd need to start from the beginning. That one night that changed everything. The secrets, the conversations, the jokes, and that night. There was also a big chance that she wouldn't believe me. She'd claim I was possessed or even worse! Shed think I wasnt stable mentally. That he was nothing but a handsome hallucination. And that I needed help. ASAP.

She nodded, but she wasn't satisfied. Not even close. The only thing we both silently agreed upon was that nothing would be said again.

"You're lucky I trust you enough to believe you." She sighed.

I smiled back.

Without warning, Ahmed entered the room with a bright smile. He almost froze when he saw mom, but she was quick to erase her tears and ask him what he needed before he opened his mouth to ask. 

"Fatima's family will be expecting us in an hour. Hurry and get dressed." He looked to my direction and teased, "A bit early huh?"

"Shut up, I was thinking a lot," I replied.

"Thinking?" He laughed, "I did a lot of thinking when I met Fatima for the first time as well."

It took me a moment to process it, and when I did- my cheeks flushed pink and I threw my pillow at him. And being the football player he is- he caught it and threw it right back at my face. When he got a good look at his accomplishment and greeting my view with his smirk, he retreated back to his room in satisfaction.

"I'm not in love! Ok!?" I screamed behind him.

"Sure.." I heard him laugh.

I looked back at mom and muttered, "Such a jerk in the damn morning.."

"Um... it's eleven."

"Shit."

__________
1140 words

____

I know this is a short chapter but please bear with me. You cant always be spoiled with long chapters so yeah...

I'm loving Ahmed and you'll see more of him in the second chapter. Also! Whos excited to meet Fatima and her family? I always like a family dinner for my Arab books so I think this is the first one so far. There's definitely more on the way and I think she deserves to be free of 'Gre-drama' for a few chapters so just choke on it cause he plot needs to be written whether you like it or not.

Btw.. what time did you wake up today?

Not planning on robbing I swear 😂😂

Such humor.. haha