Chapter Nine

See you later

         Halloween might be on the way, but nothing could ever reschedule our exams. It was just one of the thousand depressing facts of our world.

Professor Allen had us read "Of men and mice" a book about two ranch workers traveling over California for new job opportunities. It was a quite interesting read, to be honest, but I'd much rather read a book of my choice, not anyone else's.

Another slam from the door, that makes me and eleven other students still taking this test. I shook the thought away. Trying to convince me of not looking up was much harder than it actually sounded. But we all knew what would happen if I did lookup.

Professor Allen would have me hung after he had already given me a warning.

My upper lashes unite with the lower ones, as soon as I had closed my eyes, in hopes of calming my headache. But that wasn't going to change anything or help cure this headache in any way. Realizing the truth, I returned to the pale pages, that I dare to add were stapled together poorly. I filled in another circle, then traced my pencil as I read the 21st question. I bit my lip in frustration.

Damn it!

Towards the end of the book, I had to skim threw it in order to get to its final pages. And Thanks to Griceo, I had little to take in...

Speak of a devil, I thought, feeling his unearthly presence.

"Wasnt Lennie the one who killed Curley's wife?" He asked, leaning down to see my answers. He had one of his hands on the table, supporting his upper body. However, The other hand seemed to be holding something, but doubting he had read this book, I could guess it was "Of men and mice".

At that time, the answer didn't seem to bother me much, but it was The thought of him being directly behind me. That.. got me to feel more than just uncomfortable. I waved his hand away and looked directly into his eyes. "No, it isn't," I insist.

Something awake from within him.  And I could guess it was the reason for his long stare or even the way his lips were drawn upwards.. in a nice bright smile. It felt like my tongue was tied, unable to come up with a fact to prove him wrong.
Something in his eyes made me speechless. That must be it. Nothing else.

"Nope, I'm positive it's Lennie." He replied.

"What are you, pregnant?" I chuckled, shaking my head as I lowered my gaze, meeting the examination papers.

"Afraid not,"

I choke up a laugh, but when Maria Goodwin passed me a glare a few seats away, I took notice of the scene and immediately snapped the book away from him. "What the hell are you doing?" I hissed, placing the book near my feet.

"Relax, it's not like they can see me," he shrugs. I was about to say something, but after hearing my name being called, I instantly turned with a smile, pretending to read the questions right after a quick nod.

"Or the book," he adds.

"This isn't about the book!" I snapped, after watching professor Allen turn back to the papers on his desk. "You just can't show up whenever you feel like it, ok?" I hiss, looking here and there for carious eyes.

"And Why not?"

"As you can see, I can't talk right now," I remind him, moving my eyes to the corner, to find Maria staring at me as I had just grown a second head. I raised an eyebrow to scare her gaze away, and as I predicted, it worked. Professor Allen clears his throat, and with that, all eyes were on him, and of course, the person he had his eyes on. "Keep it quiet, please."