Chapter Forty-Four

The Air Around me

         Amidst the flames stood Grecio, his blue eyes threatening his superior, but he did not show signs of fear nor hesitation. He didn't even look my way when he asked if I was alright, making sure to not turn his back on such a force. I wanted to yell something back, but as the flames advanced, so did the smoke that began to fill my lungs. I held my throat with both hands and took deep breaths to slacken the knot in my chest that the smoke had bound. One after another, I was finally able to breathe again.

''I told you to leave her alone,'' 

''Shes dangerous,'' Kabus explained as if he was stating the obvious, ''And you of all Jinn should know that,''

''I do, actually.'' 

''Than why? Why fight the only family you have left... for a human?'' He spoke the last word with an expression of disgust, but I felt that that wasn't the only reason he asked such a question. Perhaps, in his wildest dreams... he hoped for an answer that made sense.

''She is so much more than that,''

Surprisingly, Kabus ignored his statement and relaxed his stiff shoulders. ''Fight me, then.'' He smirked, speaking with that voice once again. That taunting, cruel, and manipulative voice that made my hairs stand tall. I knew from the feeling it gave me that no matter what we did today, it would be just the same if we had done it another way.

Before I even knew it, the words flew right out of my mouth without meaning to and screamed as high as my lungs could take me, "No! Don't... -don't do it! I'll sign it.''

I wish I could have kept my mouth shut, but that was something I was never used to. And because I was too afraid to lose or let him go, I ended up paving the way through thoughtlessly. After all, it was my voice that made him look away, my voice that had him lose his focus, and it was my voice that that demon used to his advantage.

Grecio was greeted by a harsh punch to the face, that pushed him off his feet. His back fell flat on the ground, but it seemed like he didn't want to get up too quickly. He stayed there for a moment, his hand on his cheek as he tried to sit up. He gazed at Kabus with a tear in his eye. A look that spoke too many words to be heard or spat out. Words Kabus's ignorance couldn't bear to hear.

''Is this what you wanted, boy?'' Kabus teased.

''No," He whispered. "But it's what needs to be done."

Grecio stood up with heavy feet, breathing in the ashes and smoke but was choking from something far more complex than that. He made up his mind in a second, or perhaps refused to think more of it, and dashed towards the figure with his head hung low, punching his enemy's stomach. Kabus stepped back in pain- shock, or whatever it was that he had felt that second- and grasped the wall for support. I saw this as my chance to help and grabbed a stool close by.

With shaken hands, I raised it above my head and threw it across the room towards Kabus. I felt the weight leave me as I awaiting my fate with a pounding heart. Unfortunately, he was able to dodge it and was shooting me a nasty look from across the room. He turned his back on his grandson and started to walk towards me, gritting his teeth so hard they made a sound, ''You bi-''

In a matter of seconds, Grecio had transformed into a wolf and leaped on top of Kabus, earning back his focus. At first, he struggled to break free, but then he fought for dominance. In a blink of an eye, Kabus's large hands turned to claws, and his long black hair became the fur that sat on his frame like a blanket. He howled with excitement while fighting back, kicking and punching and biting; they were undefeated. They bit into each other's arms, letting their blood fall down to the floor beneath them. Then, it'll get smeared by the others kicks and thrusts, and left alone to make an exotic masterpiece no one knew who it truly belonged to.