Chapter Forty

Demonic Scars

     "A kiss on the forehead is not romantic," Olivia stated frankly, her arms wrapped around her chest.

"It is if you're a Muslim," Amal smirked, shooting me a glance and raising a brow slightly. I rolled my eyes.

"My dad kisses me on the forehead," Marisol replied.

"Well, half the time during my childhood my dad was w***ing around in LA so I wouldn't know." Olivia defended.

"Ladies," I warned, ''Enough gossip for one day," Olivia shrugged with a subtle roll in the eyes, but fallowed suite and went back to scribbling numbers onto her notebook. I wasn't sure if it was the guy from the library's phone number or numbers we were actually supposed to solve. I was sure of one thing though, She might have trouble memorizing chemical reactions, but I could swear that she had already memorized it by heart- where she had him; someone she didn't want to forget about, in a time when she needed to forget.

And I can't even memorize my dad's new phone number, I shook my head disapprovingly like how my aunts would when I'd tell them I wasn't interested in marrying their sons and turned to observe my friends as my ideas shifted inside my head. As usual, Marisol had a can of Cola in front of her with an extra-long straw as she typed on her laptop, while Amal had her lemon-flavored cupcake sitting neatly on her plate with a cup of tea. Elegant as she was, she began to devour the cupcakes as she texted, her fingers tapping on the screen as it reflected itself onto the glass of her wide black spectacles.

My heart was pampered with cordiality at that moment that I had almost forgotten the cold, but soon that was also forgotten as a much darker source wrapped around my thin fingers and grasped my pen firmly just before its led had made contact with the paper. My eyes widened, as I listened to the pattern of my heartbeats getting louder, a worry expression on my features as I tried to interrupt what was going on, but nothing came to mind.

Although the pain was momentarily and died in an instant later, it left scars from the burn. A burn so out-of-this-world, that it had almost felt demonic.

I looked around me, to the tables and chairs of the cafe to the different faces scattered on them, but something just didn't feel right. But then again, when was the last time did anything feel right? Well, hard to believe so, it got much worse.

"An instinct." Someone whispered from behind, but being in a state of terror I refused to look back. Instead, I bit my lips and closed my eyes tightly, praying silently under my breath for it to vanish. I knew little of what it was and what it was capable of, but I knew enough to understand that this was not good. Nothing good ever came out of this all.

"Is an innate and automatic response..." It continued.

"No," I whispered,

"That-"

"Stop!" I shrieked my hands on my ears. "Please! Just leave me alone."

It was when my begs turned to heavy sobs did I look up and take notice of my surroundings. Everyone was staring at me, their eyes wide with curiosity but by their judging faces they had already written a story of the far imagination that was uglier than it was painted out to be. The familiar faces of my friends stared right back at me with worry and confusion. Olivia's jaw was dropped and her red brow raised, Amal looked at me with terror in her big brown eyes, and Marisol hardly blinked. Her catholic-self searching for the demons in the air.

"Are you.. alright?" She asked.

"Yeah, uh... " I looked around for a second, my head low. "I need to go,"