Chapter Thirty-five

Butterflies That Dance In A Spider's Web

The plan was solid, but it was a shame my emotions weren't.

So much has happened today and so much more will happen later on. But it wasn't what got my head spinning, my fingers tangled, and a worrisome look on my features. It was what he said earlier. About how they didn't hurt him, and how they hurt Sierra instead. Not only did it show me I was at risk if our plan backfires, but It also showed me how clever these creatures where. They didn't want to hurt their own kind in a way that would attract eyes, so they choose to kill two birds with one stone. It was devious but clever. One would rather die than live to grief behind someone else.

Also on the terrible things to happen to your list- were promising. How you're pressured by people and even your own conscious sometimes. That must also explain why I wanted to fight back to Kabus, because I hated the choices he left us with, and I couldn't imagine a life without him. That was why I was determined to risk my own life for that picture in my head. The contract meant leaving him for good. The eyes I loved to look at, were going to disappear forever and I could never find anything to replace them with.

I came to a stop and looked up to where our eyes met, a safe place we loved to wander in. He took one step forward, then turned to me, unsure what to expect from our sudden pause. The silent smiles we've been making to each other must have convinced him that we were both clueless with words. After all, we've been walking with our own thoughts, for about half an hour or so.

"What was your relationship with Sierra Mcburn like?" I wandered out of the blue. I just needed to take my mind off of things, or as Olivia suggested, get drunk. The latter was not an option, though.

"What? Why are you asking me this now? I thought we moved past that." He replied, a puzzled look in his eyes.

I shrugged, "Well... You don't look like you moved on,"

"Really?" He chuckled, taking a few steps forward until I caught up to him again. "Its been years, Ruqaya."

"Well, every time you bring her up I can't ignore-"

"And You're jealous?" He questioned, stopping on his tracks to look me in the eye with his brow raised accusingly at me. I almost bumped into him, but it didn't stop me from faking a puzzled look.

"I'm not jealous," I denied, taking a step back, "I just want to know your story. You told me only the ending, but this time I want just the beginning."

"And that's because.. ?"

"Oh, Come on! All of your stories are depressing, cant I have this one happy story?" I begged.

"That's because life is depressing."

"No, your depressing."

"I've lived longer than you, Id know."

"Well, sorry grandpa, but I see no gray hairs," I remarked, a smirk on my face. He bit his lip and rolled his eyes when he looked away, but he didn't say anything and marched forward.

The walk from the hill to our house was quite a long one, with the city beneath it like a mat and the forest of evergreens, and overwrought ones as well clouded the distance. The fancy houses and garden work dispute the season looked beautiful. But every beautiful thing was once an ugly thing.

I could never see myself in these houses, in a large bedroom with enormous windows you couldn't make out anything or anyone when dark. The flagitious culture of the dark had always scared me, and its shadows boxed my soul with the shapes they created. And at times, it wasn't just my imagination, I mean.. just look at Grecio.