Chapter Twenty-one

Owls

         It didnt take long before we decided on something. Pretty much anything after realizing I couldn't wait any longer, and I was tired of arguing anyway. You might also ask why I hadn't stepped back, but I was definitely not going to let this chance fly by without trying. I still felt uncomfortable, though. It wasnt everyday someone slid their hands to your wrist while looking you dead in the eye.

By now, we were treating each other like good friends, and that was what I was trying so hard to convince myself. But as his skin touched the corduroy of my jacket, it felt different. Absolutely different, and as my senses guessed, far from the friend zone.

"Are you ok?" He asked concern tied to the softness if his voice.

"Yeah.. but I'm not so sure about this." I honestly replied, attempting to step back. 

That was my conscious speaking, along with the loud drums inside my heart that beat as loud as I feared.

He pulled me towards him, stopping me from taking any step further away and into the dark woods. The owls around us began playing at an odd tune. Every now and then, they'd flap their wings and whistle. It was strange, but I didnt mind it though. It wasnt the right time to worry about such things anyway.

"It's going to be fine, just hold tight and don't let go." He assured me, as his feet slowly left the ground.

Just as his feet rose, mine followed blindly behind. The snow that was once covered half of my boot, was now inches away. Under the heel, I felt nothing. It was a scary thought, so my eyes raced to look below. Grecio tried to stop me, but he knew I was too stubborn, so he didn't insist any longer than a simple 'Don't'.

I thought I was brave before I looked down, and my heart began racing in fear. In response, I looked away and held his shoulders for support. It wasnt what I would normally do, but yet again, normal wasnt a word I'd describe my life from this moment on. Grecio seemed surprised by my action but made no effort to stop me. In fact, his lips curved upwards in a smile.

"What are you smiling at?" I asked, my hands loosening their grip on his shoulders.

"Nothing," He shrugged off, "You look great, that's it."

He did not..!

"Great? Oh, You're making me blush." I said with an eye roll. It was a stupid thing to do, I'm well aware. But it was the only thing that came to mind then. Like my mother would say.. if they took me to pluto Id still have a lot of attitudes. I just never thought it'll be tested out in any way.

He could take me to the moon and back, but I would still be a hard onion head.

"Really?" He laughed, "I'm pretty sure you were blushing before."

"What!? That's not true." I denied it.

"If you say so." He muttered. In response, I looked away and let out a fair amount of air, that danced around until it faded beneath the city's dim lights. It was getting much colder, and the height didnt seem to help at all. Just as I was about to make a comment about it, he interrupted- with the same intentions to change the subject. He asked, "So how do you find the view?"

I looked back at him and made a face that made one's eyes curious about the thoughts in my head. And to be honest, I wasn't thinking at all. I was studying our situation. How it all began, and to where we were now. Remembering details nobody spoke much about. And to be even more honest, I just needed an excuse to stare back at him.