Chapter 5: Foes and Friends

Sophia

As first year univ students, there were a lot of changes Stacy and I had to adapt to.

For one thing, our choices of majors split us apart despite having similar schedules.

I chose to take up Education, while my one-minute-younger twin selected Fashion Design.

All my life I dreamed of becoming a teacher or professor, and Stacy aspired to be a designer.

In a fortuitous turn of events, while our schedules differed in rooms and mentors, our timetable was highly convenient. We shared the same breaks and dismissals. From Monday to Fridays, we would endure nine hours of classes, from 7:00 am to 4:00pm.Vacant times included.

At 7:15, our professor was nowhere in sight, so the chilly classroom erupted in shy greetings, light banter, and the wonderful innocence of strangers becoming newfound friends.

Brr. I hugged my bare arms, then gazed out of the glass window. I didn't anticipate the AC to be as cold as winter in America, so I didn't think to bring a jacket or a sweater. Just my luck.

I was so busy staring into the neat blue sky that I almost didn't notice someone tapping my arm.

A minute ago, the wooden desk-chair beside me was empty. Now it was occupied by a teenage girl whose wavy black hair reached her shoulders, she had brown eyes and cute freckles and she was holding her hand out to me in a welcoming gesture.

"Hi. I'm Spencer Santos," she said, and I tucked my hand in hers. "And you are?"

"Sophia Sta. Ana," I obliged while shaking hands with her.

She smiled warmly at me. "Sophia. Your name suits you. In Greek, it means 'Wisdom.'"

"Thank you, I guess," I replied, and we plunged into a bit of conversation.

"I see you forgot to bring extra layers," she remarked, observing my hunched posture.

My brown eyes lowered to her red velvet shawl draped around her neck. Sigh.

"Yeah, I better be more prepared tomorrow," I said, still embracing my arms.

She opened her mouth to speak up again but someone suddenly called out: "Here."

A guy of average height, short black hair, and light brown skin approached my table.

He handed me a soft orange scarf, and for a minute or two, I stared at it in my hands.

"Um, thank you," I managed to say, and while I wore it around me, I gazed up at him.

"Matthew Rosales," he answered my inquisitive look. "Call me Matt for short."

"Okay, Matt. My name is Sophia Sta. Ana," I told him as we shook hands.

"You do look intellectual," he observed, crossing his arms. "Sophia is perfect for you."

"That's what I told her!" Spencer beamed at me, and I smiled back.

"I always bring an extra scarf with me in case someone needs one, and here you are," Matthew told me with a victorious sparkle in his dark eyes.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't Sophia of Pines Academy," a girl's voice drawled from nearby.

Spencer, Matthew, and I turned to look at the girl who seemed to be frowning at me.

The teenager had lanky,rim-rod straight black hair, a slim body, and thick square glasses.

"So it IS you. The pride and joy of Pines Academy, Sophia Ann Sta. Ana," she announced in a scornful voice as she took brisk steps towards my desk-chair.